Newbie question

Old January 27th 04, 10:16 AM
Anyan Breth

Default Newbie question

I'm looking at purchasing US Proof sets for 2000, 2001, and 2002. What
should I know?

Are most ebay auctions reasonable, safe, reputable etc?

Any known auctioneers to avoid?

What are typical prices? Didn't they sell originally from the mint @
$19.95? So how much more is "reasonable" (or is that just up to what i'm
willing to pay, and someone else willing to sell)? Is there that much value
appreciation for sets that number in the hundred thousands?!

I noticed that many sets start at ridiculously low starting prices, are
there that many last minute bids?

Lots of questions I know...

TIA

john

Old January 27th 04, 03:34 PM
Jerry Dennis

"John (Anyan Breth)" asks:

I'm looking at purchasing US Proof sets for 2000, 2001, and 2002. What
should I know?

You should know that there are, basically, three different US proof sets
available: silver proof, clad-proof, and clad State Quarters proof. The mint
never released the State Quarters in silver proof alone; you had to buy the
entire set.

Are most ebay auctions reasonable, safe, reputable etc?

As with any purchase, do your research. Check feedback for previous customer
satisfaction. Check completed auctions for average price/value. READ THE
DESCRIPTION IN THE AUCTION. If you don't understand something, ask the seller.
If something seems "odd," avoid bidding. Keep in mind that, even though you
"must have" those proof sets, there are enough of them available that you don't
have to pay an exorbitantly high premium for them.

Any known auctioneers to avoid?

All of us have our own "don't buy from this guy." You have to make that
decision yourself. The best way is to check the feedback.

What are typical prices? Didn't they sell originally from the mint @
$19.95?

$13.95 + S&H for the State Quarters proofs.
$19.95 + S&H for the clad proofs
$31.95 + S&H for the silver proofs

So how much more is "reasonable" (or is that just up to what i'm
willing to pay, and someone else willing to sell)?

BINGO!

Is there that much value
appreciation for sets that number in the hundred thousands?!

The value appreciation goes back to how much are you willing to pay vs. how
much is the seller willing to take.

I noticed that many sets start at ridiculously low starting prices, are
there that many last minute bids?

It's called "sniping," and there is a LOT of it. Some auctions don't see any
action until the last few minutes, then the bidding goes into the stratosphere.
Those that have been ebay-ers for years seem to agree that the "1¢ No Reserve"
for the majority of coin auctions bring the highest bids and the most activity.

Lots of questions I know...

That's why we're here. I'm sure some of the others can provide more and/or
better information than I have. I'm not much of an ebay-er myself, even though
I'm always looking.

TIA

YW. :-)

john

Jerry
Old January 27th 04, 05:17 PM
Harv

"Anyan Breth" wrote in message
I'm looking at purchasing US Proof sets for 2000, 2001, and 2002. What
should I know?

What genuine ones look like. Two plastic frames containing a total of ten
coins, plus a COA, plus an outer cardboard box. State Quarter Only Proof
Sets are one plastic frame containing five coins, lus a COA, plus an outer
cardboard box.

Are most ebay auctions reasonable, safe, reputable etc?

Most, but check on how much a seller charges to ship. Shipping charges vary
wildly. If someone wants $12.00 to ship you a Proof Set, avoid. If you have
one, weigh it, multiply it by how many you might possibly buy from the same
person, go to http://www.usps.gov, and calculate the postage based on that
weight, and add some weight to cover the outer box an inner stuffing needed
to keep them from banging around in the box. Add some more to cover
insurance. Then you'll know what the seller's raw costs are to ship, and
don't forget it takes time to pack one into a box with padding, tape it all
up, and drive it to the Post Office. To ship one single modern Proof Set in
a Priority Box across the country, insured for up to $50.00 with Delivery
Confirmation costs $5.60. The more sets added to the box, the more it
weighs, the more the postage is, the more the Insurance is.

Don't avoid paying for USPS Insurance. If it's lost or stolen in the mail on
the way to you, you're screwed and have absolutely no recourse.

Check the seller's feedback record. If they have just a couple feedbacks,
they probably don't know what they're doing yet. If they have hundreds or a
thousand or two, then they're experienced, but see what they do more, buy or
sell.. Check their percentage of negative feedbacks. Understand that many
negatives are real, because they screwed up, and many can be retaliatory and
meaningless.. If they have tens of thousands of feedbacks, it might look
impressive, but this can actually slow things down as people with that many
feedbacks tend to be big operations with a staff of stock pullers and
packers and shippers and service can be very impersonal and it can take a
while to get an answer..

Any known auctioneers to avoid?

Probably, but I'll let others name those with whom they've had bad
experiences.

What are typical prices? Didn't they sell originally from the mint @
$19.95? So how much more is "reasonable" (or is that just up to what i'm
willing to pay, and someone else willing to sell)? Is there that much

value
appreciation for sets that number in the hundred thousands?!

Prices have gone up over the years. The Standard Clad Proof Set went up to
$19.95 from The Mint (plus shipping..) .. in 1999 and that's what it still
is. The Silver Proof Sets from 1999 onward have been $31.95 plus shipping
except for 1999 which was $29.95, but if you want one of those, you'll now
pay over $220.00 for the pleasure.

Silver Proof Sets are made each year in numbers under one million and they
appreciate in value much more quickly than Clad Proof Sets.. of which they
make 2-3 million a year..

I buy two Clad, two Silver and two Mint Sets each year from The Mint,
directly. And have been for years. By buying them direct, I know they
haven't been pawed over or cherry picked, the outer boxes aren't trashed and
smashed, shipping is $3.95 per order, no sales tax, and they go right into
my mailbox.

Anything older than the current year's set (right now, The Mint is selling
the 2003 Sets, as the 2004 Sets haven't been released yet..) .. and you're
at the mercy of third party sellers. Dealers, eBay, wherever. You can often
find good deals and do your own cherry picking at a big coin show where lots
of dealers have bins full of them for sale.

You also don't have to pay sales tax or shipping at coin shows. But
depending on the size of the show, you have to pay for parking and admission
and walk up and down aisles of tables looking for what you want. Depending
on what in high demand and what isn't, there are bargains to be found, and
also some dealers charge above current average retail, so you wander around
looking for the best price. You can open the boxes, look at the coins in
their plastic frames, and see if they still look like new or are getting
cloudy (which happens to Proofs when they have been stored under bad
conditions for years..) ..

The huge Long Beach Coin and Stamp and Collectibles show is held three times
a year, and the first one of this year starts this Thursday and runs through
Sunday at the Long Beach Convention Center where parking is $8.00 and show
admission is $5.00. But there are over 400 tables and a thousand dealers and
literally a ton of Proof Sets for sale if you are in the area and want to
experience a Coin show of Biblical proportions, check it out..

I noticed that many sets start at ridiculously low starting prices, are
there that many last minute bids?

Sellers use different strategies on eBay, so depending on when the auction
closes, and the seller's reputation, pictures, description, and Feedback
Record, yes and no. You could probably put a 1999 Silver Proof Set on eBay
and start it at one cent and get over $200.00 for it. If you have the guts
to do it. For entertainment value, find one that starts at a very low price,
put it on your watch list, and watch it. See how many bids it gets every
day. Come back and watch it during the closing hour of the auction, and
chances are you'll see a whole bunch of people throwing bids at it up to the
final seconds.

Unless the seller is a total idiot and doesn't use a seachable title that
make sense, or charges an exhorbitant amount for shipping, or has a ton of
negative feedback, or puts it in the wrong category, some items, like a 1999
Silver Proof Set are almost guaranteed to sell for pretty close to, or even
more than dealers sell one for. Even if it's a seven day auction and it sits
there with a low bid for six days and 23 hours, watch it get jumped on in
the last hour..

Auctions with good pictures of the item being sold get better results.
People like to see what they're bidding on. Ask the seller if he's using a
stock picture or if the set he depicts is the actual one you'll get.
Overblown auctions with flashing neon squirming animated GIFs and background
music and all that other window dressing are overkill and turn a lot of
people off.

Lastly, don't EVER buy sets or any other coins for that matter from those
TeeVee coin shows. Everything they sell is over-hyped and over-priced.

Harv

Old January 27th 04, 06:33 PM
Cliff

Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote:

Yes, the original proof sets of 5 coins and the set of 5 quarters were
$19.95 + shipping.

Anyan Breth wrote:

Yes, but if you bid on the proof sets I'm selling on ebay and mention
RCC then you get free shipping. Lots more going up in the next week
or so (shameless plug ends here).
Cliff/ebay N5GWU

Old January 27th 04, 07:46 PM
Grandpa

Anyan Breth wrote:

Yes, but if you bid on the proof sets I'm selling on ebay and mention
RCC then you get free shipping. Lots more going up in the next week
or so (shameless plug ends here).
Cliff/ebay N5GWU

And a URL to assist with that shameless plug is?

Old January 27th 04, 07:52 PM
Steve M

.....and your userid would be?

Old January 27th 04, 10:24 PM
Cliff

Anyan Breth wrote:

Yes, but if you bid on the proof sets I'm selling on ebay and mention
RCC then you get free shipping. Lots more going up in the next week
or so (shameless plug ends here).
Cliff/ebay N5GWU

see above line...... search on ebay seller N5GWU

Old January 28th 04, 02:23 AM
Doggo

Anyan Breth wrote:
Yes, but if you bid on the proof sets I'm selling on ebay and mention
RCC then you get free shipping. Lots more going up in the next week
or so (shameless plug ends here).
Cliff/ebay N5GWU

see above line...... search on ebay seller N5GWU

here ya go.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&rows=50
or

http://tinyurl.com/2bf44

Ed

Old January 28th 04, 06:51 AM
Anyan Breth

Thanks again for the great feedback/info! Pretty much what I expected to
hear... ...it's good to get confirmation though.

JK
"John (Anyan Breth)" asks:

Coins newbie question Jim Wyant Coins 8 January 14th 04 10:10 PM
Newbie has oldie book question Bill Jeffrey Books 4 January 8th 04 10:36 AM
Newbie question: Vintage pen for everyday use Edward Bonaventure Pens & Pencils 27 October 8th 03 05:24 PM
Newbie question: Vintage pen for everyday use seg Pens & Pencils 6 October 5th 03 05:17 AM
Newbie Question Kristy Coins 5 September 14th 03 03:54 PM