Artgallery Redux

Old July 19th 03, 09:45 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Default Artgallery Redux

Tom wrote:

Wasnt this one of the items complained about last time?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...&item=35388023

All I get on that is "Invalid item", so perhaps it's been scratched already.
All stops out, though, to ensure the following also gets scratched:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3538802348

The description is a joke; "We guarantee our description to be very
accurate", he says, but there *isn't* any description to speak of! The
publisher and the date of publication aren't mentioned, and there's no scan
of either the title page or the copyright page.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old July 19th 03, 01:42 PM
my-wings

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in message
Tom wrote:

Wasnt this one of the items complained about last time?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...&item=35388023

All I get on that is "Invalid item", so perhaps it's been scratched

already.
All stops out, though, to ensure the following also gets scratched:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3538802348

The description is a joke; "We guarantee our description to be very
accurate", he says, but there *isn't* any description to speak of! The
publisher and the date of publication aren't mentioned, and there's no

scan
of either the title page or the copyright page.

I'm thinking that if you could read the words at the bottom of the spine,
they would say something like "Time Life American Classics Series."

Is there any significance to the fact that this auction is posted on the UK
site?

Alice

Old July 19th 03, 02:22 PM
William M. Klimon

"my-wings" wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3538802348

I'm thinking that if you could read the words at the bottom of the spine,
they would say something like "Time Life American Classics Series."

No, as I pointed out previously, it says "International Collector's
Library." It is a reprint--from the 1970s, I believe.

The description is actually very clever. I don't think there is a single
untruth expressed (although there are clearly questionable opinions)--but
the whole intent is clearly to deceive potential bidders into thinking that
the book is a collection of original Franklin *Almanacks*.

Is there any significance to the fact that this auction is posted on the

UK
site?

Perhaps that aids in the deception?

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old July 19th 03, 03:44 PM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

my-wings wrote:

I'm thinking that if you could read the words at the bottom of the spine,
they would say something like "Time Life American Classics Series."

I think I've got it. The first word begins with "Inter..." and the last word
begins with "Lib..." That would make it the "International Collectors
Library" (NYC) and, sure enough, among the half-dozen copies being offered
for a pittance on ABE is the description "Red boards with gold lettering and
decoration".

The question is, whether he can be copped for it. I suspect that claiming
that it is "very valuable" and "highly collectible" isn't specific enough to
constitute fraud.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old July 19th 03, 05:08 PM
Randy Burns

The only problem with the International Collectors Library books is that the
front boards often fall off. Looks like he has a pretty nice copy of a $9
book though. Guess we'd better yell rape and run for the police!

Randy

--

Tom wrote in message
Wasnt this one of the items complained about last time?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3538802 3
48

Cheers,

Tom L-M

Old July 19th 03, 09:48 PM
fwdixon

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote
The question is, whether he can be copped for it. I suspect that claiming
that it is "very valuable" and "highly collectible" isn't specific enough

constitute fraud.

This guy is a real piece of work!
The claims of "very valuable" and "highly collectible" are so vague and
subjective that it would be impossible to prove fraud.
I wonder if the bidder is another one of his shill accounts?
--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page

Old July 19th 03, 10:12 PM
Giltedge04

Randy said

The only problem with the International Collectors Library books is that the
front boards often fall off. Looks like he has a pretty nice copy of a $9
book though. Guess we'd better yell rape and run for the police!
so does $ 9 constitute being a rare valuable book? Regrettably there are so
many similar items on ebay these days. I follow the works of a number of
artists and the majority of those listed are fakes or copies but they still
sell for substantial sums.

I even tried to contact one of the winning bidders who also has an interest in
one of my artists because he keeps spending serious money on obvious fakes but
he never bothered to reply so its his hard luck. What is it they say...." a
fool and his money?

caveat emptor

Stan.
Old July 19th 03, 11:18 PM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Bob Finnan wrote:

I wonder if the bidder is another one of his shill accounts?

I don't think so. The bidder has feedback dating back two and a half years
from various buyers. Looks like he's got a live one here!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old July 19th 03, 11:42 PM
David Bilek

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote:
Bob Finnan wrote:

I wonder if the bidder is another one of his shill accounts?

I don't think so. The bidder has feedback dating back two and a half years
from various buyers. Looks like he's got a live one here!

Is it a breach of etiquette to e-mail bidders to let them know they're
making a grave error? Assuming you aren't involved in the auction in
any way.

-David
Old July 20th 03, 12:20 AM
MindElec

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:42:19 GMT, David Bilek
declared:

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote:
Bob Finnan wrote:

I wonder if the bidder is another one of his shill accounts?

I don't think so. The bidder has feedback dating back two and a half years
from various buyers. Looks like he's got a live one here!

Is it a breach of etiquette to e-mail bidders to let them know they're
making a grave error? Assuming you aren't involved in the auction in
any way.

it's a breach of ebays terms on auction interference and can get your
account suspended if it's reported.

robert

"I've been long, a long way from here
Put on a poncho, played for mosquitos,
And drank til I was thirsty again
We went searching through thrift store jungles
Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo
And Benny Goodman's corset and pen"