Braggalicious

Old July 21st 03, 05:00 AM
Tim Doyle

Default Braggalicious

"William M. Klimon" wrote in message
news:r8pRa.3737$MK4.347@lakeread07...
[Fr. Zephyrinus Engelhardt] *Omanomineu Kachkenohamatwon Kesekoch,

Katoklik
Anamihau Masenachigon* (St. Louis: B. Herder, 1882)
family spoken in Minnesota and Wisconsin (see Pilling 4303a).
snipped

The brag is that the seller did not mention that the book is signed and
inscribed by Fr. Zephyrinus to his teacher, another Franciscan friar named
Servatius.

What a great surprise! I had much the same experience this morning at a book
sale. I picked up a dozen books, including a copy of "The Strange Death of
President Harding" (Guild, 1930) by Means and Thacker - very good condition
but with a gift inscription to the ffep. When I got home and looked closely
at the gift inscription, I saw that it reads "Richard Ramsay Mead/ from/
Margaret Mead/Reo Forutune". Reo Fortune was Mead's second husband, and they
were still married when this book came out in 1930. Mead had a brother named
Richard, though I haven't yet found a source identifying his middle name.
The handwriting and signature match examples of Mead's that I've found
online. The amazing thing is that I had passed this book by a few times
before grabbing it in my last sweep of the tables after more than an hour at
the sale.

Regards, Tim