Artgallery Redux

Old July 20th 03, 07:13 PM
MindElec

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:45:36 GMT, "BAERE"
declared:

But consider this--here's a fraudulent seller who was reported to ebay and
he's not been kicked out--are they going to do more than warn someone for
alerting a bidder to another dubious item?

true, it all depends on how many warnings you get (i think the third
time is the knockout). personally i have to much at stake to even
risk one warning.

robert

"I've been long, a long way from here
Put on a poncho, played for mosquitos,
And drank til I was thirsty again
We went searching through thrift store jungles
Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo
And Benny Goodman's corset and pen"
Old July 21st 03, 02:48 AM
Art Nelson

But it's not only him on ebay. Just the other day I was checking a price on
The Canary Murder Case by S.S. Van Dine. I checked the first edition box
and the highest price box and the top price, which off hand I believe was
around $325 for a Collier Edition without dustjacket (as issued) Collier
reprinted a lot of early hard to find mysteries, but it's certainly not a
first edition and probably worth also in the $9 price range. And this is
being listed by a book dealer. Go figure. One born every minute....
"MindElec" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 04:07:20 GMT, "my-wings"
declared:

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in message
Giltedge04 wrote:

I follow the works of a number of
artists and the majority of those listed are fakes or copies but they
still
sell for substantial sums.

Do they sell for amounts comparable to what the real thing would fetch?

When
people think they are getting something worth thousands for a few

hundred
dollars, usually they are being ripped off.

This is just my personal opinion, formed after watching too many episodes

of
the Antiques Road Show, but I believe that the real deals are incredible
deals, like picking up a $2,000 lamp for $5 at a rummage sale because the
owners (and sometime the buyers) don't know what they have. But when the
buyer pays $500 for the item, hoping he guessed right about the (could it
be, Tiffany!?) mark, more likely than not, it's a fake.

When the seller knows he's got something really good, he prices it that

way.
When the seller doesn't know he has something valuable, he prices it low.
But those prices that are high, but would be a great bargain if only the
item were the rare and valuable thing the buyer hopes it is...those are a

big red flag, waved by cynical sellers to incite greedy buyers.

how about a "good deal" but higher than a "steal" price on something
authentic and properly described? would that also raise red flags?

I'm guessing the same thing applies to eBay books, with the except that a
really great deal priced too low will probably be bid up closer to where

it
belongs.

maybe not, the bidding system doesn't always work and recently that
has been even more true. hence i never start something for less than
i'm willing to accept. in fact i've had to adjust my thinking to the
belief that it is easier to lower the price on a relist, than to be
disappointed at a low ending bid.