Latest PNG/ ICTA Grading Results.

Old September 2nd 04, 09:08 PM
Ian

Default Latest PNG/ ICTA Grading Results.

Did someone post this information already? If so, my apologies for the
duplicated effort. If not, then have a look. I don't think the results
will shock. :-)

http://www.pngdealers.com/public/surveyresults2004.cfm

Ian
Old September 2nd 04, 11:01 PM
James Higby

What is somewhat puzzling is that not a single company got an "outstanding"
in any category whatsoever.

Old September 3rd 04, 12:43 AM
Bob Peterson

NGC got a "superior" rating in all categories.

Not surprisingly, everyone but PCGS and NGC got diss'ed, which should tell
anyone thinking of dealing in slabbed coins a lot.

Old September 4th 04, 04:08 AM
UsterDay72

Subject: Latest PNG/ ICTA Grading Results.
From: "James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]yahoo[dot]com
Date: 9/2/04 7:25 PM Central Daylight Time

"Ian" wrote in message
Did someone post this information already? If so, my apologies for the
duplicated effort. If not, then have a look. I don't think the results
will shock. :-)

http://www.pngdealers.com/public/surveyresults2004.cfm

Ian

Well the dictionary doesn't exactly back that notion up (that "outstanding"
is a higher rating than "superior").
Why not rate them as we are the way in which we are most familiar. Basal
state, about good, good, etc. thru Extremely Fine! Grin
All the best, Pete
Old September 4th 04, 02:13 PM
James Higby

My statement was not based on a dictionary, it was based on what is stated
on the report itself. One has to look at the bottommost chart of the
survey, where 7 to 8 points represent "superior" and 9 to 10 points
represent "outstanding."

Old September 4th 04, 03:43 PM
Harv

"James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote in message
My statement was not based on a dictionary, it was based on what is stated
on the report itself. One has to look at the bottommost chart of the
survey, where 7 to 8 points represent "superior" and 9 to 10 points
represent "outstanding."

From reading the results of the survey, it looks exactly the same as the
2002 one except for the addition of NTC.. again NGC got one more "superior"
than PCGS did.. so basically, in two years, nothing has changed.. and
despite this survey, PCGS slabs still generally command a premium over
identical NGC slabs, sometimes a tiny premium, sometimes a wildly
unexplainable premium..

So, does the coin collecting community care about this survey, or is it just
one more set of opinions they choose to ignore??.. If you take it as a
whole, and if you agree that the PNG is a group of professionals who live
coins and have a huge base of knowledge, experience, wisdom, and no hidden
agenda, then identical NGC and PCGS slabs should sell for the same price..
but in the real world, with very few exceptions, they don't..

Harv

Old September 4th 04, 07:28 PM
Jorg Lueke

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 16:24:08 +0000, Barry wrote:

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 14:43:29 GMT, "Harv"
wrote:

"James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote in message
My statement was not based on a dictionary, it was based on what is
stated
on the report itself. One has to look at the bottommost chart of the
survey, where 7 to 8 points represent "superior" and 9 to 10 points
represent "outstanding."

From reading the results of the survey, it looks exactly the same as the
[...]

As I see it, the only potnetial hidden agenda is NGC paid PNG a pretty
penny to be "the official grading service of the PNG." Without that
endorsement, and the deal that went with it, do you think NGC would
have scored as well as it did? The market, overall, sure doesn't see
it that way.
Barry
--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies

The market would not be concerned with many of the categories in the
survey. The market would tend to value those coins the highest that it
believed were graded the strictest (not necessarily the most accurate) and
those that it believed would be accepted at the stated grade by others.
Old September 4th 04, 07:58 PM
Bob Peterson

These kind of surveys, while they do provide some insight, prove almost
nothing. The ratings are extremely subjective and there is not even an
attempt to weight the results by number of coins submitted, what type of
coins were submitted, etc.

I wonder how many of those who took the survey were volume submitters
primarily of low value coins (modern commems and such) and how many were
submitting mostly higher end coins.

The survey would have a lot more meaning if we knew just who was filling
them in.

"Harv" wrote in message

"James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote in message
My statement was not based on a dictionary, it was based on what is
stated
on the report itself. One has to look at the bottommost chart of the
survey, where 7 to 8 points represent "superior" and 9 to 10 points
represent "outstanding."

From reading the results of the survey, it looks exactly the same as the

Old September 4th 04, 08:06 PM
Harv

"Jorg Lueke" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 16:24:08 +0000, Barry wrote:

As I see it, the only potnetial hidden agenda is NGC paid PNG a pretty
penny to be "the official grading service of the PNG." Without that
endorsement, and the deal that went with it, do you think NGC would
have scored as well as it did? The market, overall, sure doesn't see
it that way.
Barry
--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies

The market would not be concerned with many of the categories in the
survey. The market would tend to value those coins the highest that it
believed were graded the strictest (not necessarily the most accurate) and
those that it believed would be accepted at the stated grade by others.

Yeah, but PCGS slabs used to carry the PNG logo, no??.. So now it's on NGC
slabs, and the survey results are the same as they were two years ago..

Harv