Is this a good buy?

Old September 3rd 04, 04:11 AM
Jerry Dennis

I'll parrot everybody else. It's junk. Some base metal clad in 10 mil gold.

For the $19.95 you can get a nice coin (a real one). Bob Flaminio's suggestion
of a Morgan or Peace dollar would be a good choice. You might be able to pick
up a few Silver Eagles for that price, as well.

If you're intent on getting a replica 1933 Saint, might I suggest one from the
Royal Oak Mint? Ken Potter has them. They're the same size as a real double
eagle, gold-plated over a SILVER base. A much better replica. Click the link
below and go a little over halfway down:

http://koinpro.tripod.com/ReproListUpdated.htm

Jerry

"Tom Rankin" writes:

See:

http://www.nationalcollectorsmint.co...gold_Mar04.htm

I have a 16 year-old son who likes buying and selling coins.

Is this coin a good buy at $19.95 (Plus S/H) ?

Good birthday present?

Old September 3rd 04, 05:58 PM
Harv

"Tom Rankin" wrote in message
See:

http://www.nationalcollectorsmint.co...gold_Mar04.htm

I have a 16 year-old son who likes buying and selling coins.

Is this coin a good buy at $19.95 (Plus S/H) ?

Good birthday present?

Without even clicking on the link, I'm can tell you that's the same thing
they hawk on TeeVee constantly.. it's a total waste of money. You're not
going to be able to buy _any_ real US Mint Gold Coin for $19.95, classic or
Modern - even a tiny 1/10th ounce American Gold Eagle will cost multiples
of that, but you could spend a few dollars more and get a 2004 Proof Set or
about twice as much and get a Silver 2004 Proof Set, or if you just wanted
one coin, there are thousands of choices in that price range that aren't
TeeVee junk from companies who are just trying to part you from your money
with screaming announcers trying to convince you that a base-metal copy of a
rare Coin covered with a few molecules of Gold are somehow rare or
valuable..

But in the end, it's your money.. and your decision..

Harv

Old September 3rd 04, 08:51 PM
Reality

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message news:raQZc.193015$sh.68240@fed1read06...

Similar to the "gold" medal awarded to Olympic athletes-- essentially
gold-plated something.

Bruce

Gold-plated sterling silver. Last I heard, the manufacturer charged
the IOC $67 each for them. However, a gold medal for boxing was
recently up for auction on eBay from the 1920 Olympics for over $2000.
Old September 4th 04, 01:13 AM
Bruce Remick

"Reality" wrote in message
m...
"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

Similar to the "gold" medal awarded to Olympic athletes-- essentially
gold-plated something.

Bruce

Gold-plated sterling silver. Last I heard, the manufacturer charged
the IOC $67 each for them. However, a gold medal for boxing was
recently up for auction on eBay from the 1920 Olympics for over $2000.

I was trying to explain "gold clad" in general, thus the gold-plated
"something" answer. I have no idea what the base metal of the 1933 gold
clad $20 might be. I will also admit that before this Olympics I didn't
know the composition of the Olympic "gold" medals.

Bruce
'gold clad, gold plated, goldine, gold filled, goldfish.....'

Old September 4th 04, 03:24 PM
Harv

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message
I'll parrot everybody else. It's junk. Some base metal clad in 10 mil

gold.

There's another new TeeVee ad that's started appearing on some cable
channels just in the past week, this time hawking a reproduction of the 1929
$5.00 Indian Half Eagle, again, same deal, base metal plated with less Gold
than a goldfish has in him, also a "Proof".. with the screaming announcer
jabbering on and on about how the design was "sunken in" instead of raised..
I wouldn't expect them to use the word "incuse" as the trailer park crowd
who rushes to their phones to pay $19.95 for these pogs wouldn't understand
the word anyway.. and just like their fake 1933 Saint, this one, also from
the National something or other Mint, is "Strictly Limited to [x] coins per
person hurry up order now, put down that bowl of cake mix you've been
stirring and rush to your phone before they're all gone blah blah etc.
etc."..

I don't have all the verbiage memorized, although God knows, I've seen this
ad enough times so far to memorize it, but they use some wording which I
would think would raise the eyebrows of the FTC, words like "genuine" and
"United States Mint(ing)(ed)" or something like that.. well, if you watch
enough cable TeeVee, you'll see this ad sooner or later..

Okay, yeah, sure, not all coin collectors can afford genuine Vintage Gold
Coins, and the rarer dates and higher grades can easily cost as much as a
new car, so maybe someone wants a repro. I bought a repro of the $50.00 Pan
Pacific Round a couple years ago.. I'd seen this thing advertised for up to
$30.00 or so in Miller's Mint ads in Coin World.. same deal, some kind of
base metal plated with a layer of Gold a couple molecules thick, but I found
someone on eBay selling them for $2.99. For that kind of pocket change, I
thought hey, why not.. but thirty bucks??.. Don't make me laugh..

It's sad, and it makes me mad to know that people who simply don't know any
better get sucked in by these pitchmen, and throw away hard earned money on
these cheesy repros when they could buy something real, of lasting value
with it.. but P.T. Barnum lives on.. and on.. and on.. and while the Feds
want to regulate just about everything else in your life including who you
can marry, it seems like they simply don't give a crap about the garbage
sold on TeeVee, not just these over priced worthless repro coins pitched as
rarities, but all those "health aids", stimulants, memory pills, and other
crap which could actually be downright dangerous to some folks, and are
never going to do anything about the overt trickery in the language used to
hawk this dross..

Harv
(Wishing Pres. Bill Clinton a speedy and full recovery..) ..