Grading question

Old September 3rd 04, 02:08 PM
Ian

Default Grading question

I recently got a 1914D buffalo nick. The date is indeed readable without
too much difficulty, but it is certainly flat and wouldn't take much
more circulation for it to be lost and gone forever.

You only have the reverse to go by......so armed with the scan and the
information above, what grade would you ascribe to the coin? :-)

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/1914Drev.jpg

Ian

Old September 3rd 04, 03:48 PM
Bill Krummel

"Ian" wrote in message
I recently got a 1914D buffalo nick. The date is indeed readable without
too much difficulty, but it is certainly flat and wouldn't take much
more circulation for it to be lost and gone forever.

You only have the reverse to go by......so armed with the scan and the
information above, what grade would you ascribe to the coin? :-)

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/1914Drev.jpg

Ian

Ian, it appears to be a "Good" grade and not even a strong good, since it
appears the tops of the letters are merging with the rim. No pictures at
this website, but there are verbal descriptions;

http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/4044/grade.html

Bill

Old September 3rd 04, 04:00 PM
Bill Krummel

"Bill Krummel" wrote in message

"Ian" wrote in message
I recently got a 1914D buffalo nick. The date is indeed readable without
too much difficulty, but it is certainly flat and wouldn't take much
more circulation for it to be lost and gone forever.

You only have the reverse to go by......so armed with the scan and the
information above, what grade would you ascribe to the coin? :-)

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/1914Drev.jpg

Ian

Ian, it appears to be a "Good" grade and not even a strong good, since it
appears the tops of the letters are merging with the rim. No pictures at
this website, but there are verbal descriptions;

http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/4044/grade.html

Bill

And now I see that there are images, you just have to click on each grade.
All the better. Bill

Old September 3rd 04, 04:02 PM
Ian

Bill Krummel wrote:
"Ian" wrote in message

I recently got a 1914D buffalo nick. The date is indeed readable without
too much difficulty, but it is certainly flat and wouldn't take much
more circulation for it to be lost and gone forever.

You only have the reverse to go by......so armed with the scan and the
information above, what grade would you ascribe to the coin? :-)

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/1914Drev.jpg

Ian

Ian, it appears to be a "Good" grade and not even a strong good, since it
appears the tops of the letters are merging with the rim. No pictures at
this website, but there are verbal descriptions;

http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/4044/grade.html

Bill

Thanks for that link Bill.

I think it would probably get away with being called a G4. It certainly
isn't a VG to my mind, but i'm not used to using US grading standards.

It cost me $8.50. I think I probably did ok on it, but in any event it
fills a hole in the collection until something better pops its head up :-)

Ian

Old September 3rd 04, 04:18 PM
Ian

"Ian" wrote in message

I recently got a 1914D buffalo nick. The date is indeed readable without
too much difficulty, but it is certainly flat and wouldn't take much
more circulation for it to be lost and gone forever.

You only have the reverse to go by......so armed with the scan and the
information above, what grade would you ascribe to the coin? :-)

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/1914Drev.jpg

Ian

Ian, it appears to be a "Good" grade and not even a strong good, since it
appears the tops of the letters are merging with the rim. No pictures at
this website, but there are verbal descriptions;

http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/4044/grade.html

Bill

And now I see that there are images, you just have to click on each grade.
All the better. Bill

Yep. Pretty neat having those images that I hadn't even noticed till you
pointed them out. :-)

Going by the wear on the date, my coin is nearer to the example of the
AG3 than it is to the G4. The reverse seems to fit better with the G4
than the AG3.

I'll modify my first thoughts from G4 to AG3 to be conservative.

Over here we would simply call it Goo(se)d. :-)

Ian

Old September 4th 04, 11:56 AM
Mike Dworetsky

"Ian" wrote in message
I recently got a 1914D buffalo nick. The date is indeed readable without
too much difficulty, but it is certainly flat and wouldn't take much
more circulation for it to be lost and gone forever.

You only have the reverse to go by......so armed with the scan and the
information above, what grade would you ascribe to the coin? :-)

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/1914Drev.jpg

Ian

G-4

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

Old September 4th 04, 12:03 PM
Mike Dworetsky

"Ian" wrote in message
Bill Krummel wrote:
"Ian" wrote in message

[...]

You definitely did OK, current retail is around $40-50, for an unscratched
G4. The 1914D is fairly rare. If I saw one in similar condition I would
have no problem paying £5 for it.