ID request - Portuguese colony?

Old October 18th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Paul Herber

Default ID request - Portuguese colony?

http://www.pherber.com/stamps/image1.jpg

Never seen these before. One of the Portuguese colonies, or a revenue?
MTIA.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.sandrila.co.uk/
Old October 19th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 23:56:05 +0100, Paul Herber
wrote:

http://www.pherber.com/stamps/image1.jpg

Never seen these before. One of the Portuguese colonies, or a revenue?
MTIA.

They are real Portuguese India bi-sects. Take a look in just about
any catalog and they'll be there, Scott included.

They look like Scott #'s 260C, 261 and 283 to me at first glance.
Old October 19th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Paul Herber" wrote in message
ell.net...
http://www.pherber.com/stamps/image1.jpg

Never seen these before. One of the Portuguese colonies, or a revenue?
MTIA.

G'day Paul,
just a guess
there is a SG406 (1902) 1r on 1t Portuguese India
with a type 31 vertical perforation on the Republican issue.
(Stanley Gibbons 1965)

You will need to confirm.
HTH

Old October 19th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 19 Oct, 01:56, "rodney" wrote:
"Paul Herber" wrote in message

ell.net...

http://www.pherber.com/stamps/image1.jpg

Never seen these before. One of the Portuguese colonies, or a revenue?
MTIA.

G'day Paul,
just a guess
there is a SG406 (1902) 1r on 1t Portuguese India
with a type 31 vertical perforation on the Republican issue.
(Stanley Gibbons 1965)

You will need to confirm.
HTH

These bisects are dated 1911-13. Lots of them, SG Nos 354-388. I make
Paul's:-

Left: SG 371, 1r on 2r orange
Middle: SG 382, 1r on 1t carmine
Right: SG 380 if colour is grey, 1r on 1r; or 383 if brown on straw,
1r on 5t

Minimal CVs.

Chris

Old October 19th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Paul Herber

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:01:20 -0700, wrote:

On 19 Oct, 01:56, "rodney" wrote:
"Paul Herber" wrote in message

ell.net...

http://www.pherber.com/stamps/image1.jpg

Never seen these before. One of the Portuguese colonies, or a revenue?
MTIA.

G'day Paul,
just a guess
there is a SG406 (1902) 1r on 1t Portuguese India
with a type 31 vertical perforation on the Republican issue.
(Stanley Gibbons 1965)

You will need to confirm.
HTH

These bisects are dated 1911-13. Lots of them, SG Nos 354-388. I make
Paul's:-

Left: SG 371, 1r on 2r orange
Middle: SG 382, 1r on 1t carmine
Right: SG 380 if colour is grey, 1r on 1r; or 383 if brown on straw,
1r on 5t

Minimal CVs.

Chris

Thanks Tracey, Rodney and Chris.
I don't know why I missed them in the catalogue!

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/
Old October 19th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

wrote in message
oups.com...

These bisects are dated 1911-13. Lots of them, SG Nos 354-388. I make
Paul's:-

Left: SG 371, 1r on 2r orange
Middle: SG 382, 1r on 1t carmine
Right: SG 380 if colour is grey, 1r on 1r; or 383 if brown on straw,
1r on 5t
Minimal CVs.
Chris

Once again, you have a later catalogue
yet the number is lower.
One would think it t'other way around.

I have it as only 7 bisects on the Republica issues

The preamble to the set, suggests they were, in the main
speculative, and are named "Provisional"
Prices are offered for the entire stamp showing both halves.

Old October 19th 07, 10:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 19 Oct, 03:18, "rodney" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

These bisects are dated 1911-13. Lots of them, SG Nos 354-388. I make
Paul's:-

Left: SG 371, 1r on 2r orange
Middle: SG 382, 1r on 1t carmine
Right: SG 380 if colour is grey, 1r on 1r; or 383 if brown on straw,
1r on 5t
Minimal CVs.
Chris

Once again, you have a later catalogue
yet the number is lower.
One would think it t'other way around.

Yes, I was mystified as to where you got 406 from, as that's now 2r on
8t, unbisected. My cat is 1996, but the numbers I gave are as on
http://www.allworldstamps.com/. The illustration of the bisect/
surcharge is T28 in my cat, but you say T31. There is nothing in the
preface about altered cat Nos for PI, so it must have happened further
back.

I have it as only 7 bisects on the Republica issues

As do I, plus a few varieties, but the number range I gave includes
the non-REPUBLICA bisects, as Paul has one of these.

The preamble to the set, suggests they were, in the main
speculative, and are named "Provisional"

My reading of the preamble is that certain minor varieties are
"speculative", not the whole set as listed.

Prices are offered for the entire stamp showing both halves.

It's curious that used pairs are so common that they can offer them at
mainly low CVs. Unless you get them separated.

Chris

Old October 19th 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

wrote in message
oups.com...

Yes, I was mystified as to where you got 406 from, as that's now 2r on
8t, unbisected. My cat is 1996, but the numbers I gave are as on
http://www.allworldstamps.com/.

I have just bought a 3Ghz P4 from govt auctions for $100
I just need to work out a few language installations
before getting on line with a bit of grunt.

Up till now, I have been unable to browse Gibbons
it was like watching paint dry, just loading a page on my
current 366 Celeron.

I may take the old cat to the Library, to see where the
numbering went awry.
Have a nice weekend.