Guy Gilchrist relisted at lower price

Old October 9th 06, 02:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
chip1057

Default Guy Gilchrist relisted at lower price

I;ve relisted the Guy Gilchrist First Edition Signed book
at a lower price. You can check it out at:

Chip
Formerly owner of CHIP'S CELEBRITY HOME AND E-MAIL ADDRESSES

Old October 10th 06, 09:56 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
[email protected]

ebay is a horrible place to sell it...
try asking the guys at r and r auctions about your book.

http://rrauction.com/past_auction_results.cfm

i put several items through them, stuff that wouldn't even sell on ebay
and am getting over $400 for them...you should really steer clear of
ebay if you have something that you truly think is valuable.
there's many places for stuff with real value. maestronet is good too.

hope that helps...you shouldn't be selling this book for $20 and
hawking it just trying to get a bid....
mike

Old October 11th 06, 02:03 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

Ebay has more traffic. RR is trading on their name; shortly, people
will realize that name means not much....

Old October 11th 06, 03:11 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
[email protected]

EBAY is trading on their name...the only reason people put stuff on
ebay anymore is because they are all over the place...
1) it costs more and more to do business on ebay. it seems like the
costs go up every month.
2) most people on ebay are looking for such a bargain that they aren't
willing to pay a reasonable price for anything.
3) with the exception of a few things (sue's book for instance), most
people are looking for what's brand new out there (even ebay's newest
slogan caters to just that.) and unless you are advertising in a place
getting HUGE foot traffic, your stuff gets lost in the shuffle. at a
place like maestro net and r and r auctions, you can go through their
entire auction catalog in a day or so and see everything listed. They
deal specifically in autographs, and autographs only. they authenticate
everything, so you can trust the item you are getting. shoot, at ebay,
you don't even know that you are getting the item pictured.

but go ahead, some guy sold a gilchrist item for twice your asking
price and it's just on a piece of paper, no book.
mike

Old October 11th 06, 04:13 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

I will agree on most of this but Ebay is still the "place" to go
unfortunately (I agree their fees are high, people want a deal, and
some stuff gets lost if you misspell, don't word it right etc.
However, if you do word correctly, do all the things you can to get
noticed, it gets a LOT more traffic than any other site, so odds are
you'll sell it better. As for the book, I had 20 people watching it
in the end... I bet a couple forgot about it. I was expecting the
book to bring in the high 70 dollar range. I was more than happy for
the price I got as it paid for my hotel that night, the two books I
bought and my Pay Pal and most of my Ebay fees. So in effect, my only
costs for my trip was food, gas and parking. In reality, at the end,
I was thinking I'd recoup the parking too (about 26 bucks that day).

Old October 12th 06, 07:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
[email protected]

i'm sorry...but people who know what they are doing don't bother with
ebay anymore unless they can get a STEAL... people who buy autographs
and are in the market, don't bother with ebay at all. people with any
kind of knowledge or background or are looking for something NICE or
premium wouldn't dare consider ebay any longer. ebay is for people who
don't know what they are doing, people that don't know where to begin
for quality stuff.
no offense to anyone...but ebay is bargain basement. when you don't
know where else to go, go to ebay. but sellers know this too...people
that have legit stuff that want a decent price, wouldn't dare go to
ebay. they go to reliable auction houses where everything is appraised
and evaluated based on authenticity and knowledge.
places like sotheby's, maestro net and r and r auctions...none of these
are fly by night, trying to make a quick buck or "looking to trade on
their name." they are discreet and find no need in making themselves a
publicly traded stock or need to answer to stockholders. they only deal
in certain items (you can't buy pez dispensers and someone's old ipod
mini at sotheby's). they are in no way bargain basement, ebay is.

just to point out the obvious...r and r has only had 1 guy gilchrist
item. i'm sure they are in the market for another as artists tend to do
very well...your value for this item is far below what they got for
theirs.

i'll keep to ebay if i really want no more than $15 for my items...but
i'll look to others with a PROVEN track record and commitment to making
sure everything they sell is authentic and that has an added value to
an overall goal to protect the autograph market as a whole.
mike

Old October 12th 06, 12:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

As much as Ebay sucks, it's my personal opinion EVERY SINGLE AUTOGRAPH
AUCTION I've seen has had blatant fakes or ify items. And people by
nature are trying to get a steal; they'd be stupid to pay 400.00 for a
10.00 item just to insure it's "real". I'd much rather pay 10.00 and
research and wait it out on Ebay to find that steal. I hate to say it
because I am no Ebay fan; but you CAN get a deal on there; it's all a
matter of research and wait.

PS why the big push on R and R all this time? I've seen fakes on
there as well ... are they paying you to push them? If you sold stuff
on there with your past nickname, wouldn't that soil THEIR
relationship? If they took you without knowning your rep, what does
that say about their process? No offense, but you said you just sold
four items on there and got premium bids and people have been calling
you Bareforger for years....now, I am not saying you forge (not at
all); it's just that are you the best person to publicize for them? I
think not. If people bid on your items but never did on Ebay, what
makes you better on R and R and not on Ebay? You are the same person.

Old October 12th 06, 05:57 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
[email protected]

no offense sue...but to be honest...i have one of the best reputations
in the business...there's just idiots on here who like to call
names..and if you notice, none of them has ever been able to use their
real names...i've had over 1000 pieces pass through psa dna over time
(and they've only been around for a few years)...no one has ever called
me bareforger outside of this group right here, i may not be the most
knowledgeable collector out there, but at the same time, i've done
thousands of hours or research, anytime i post something with what
seems to be my opinion, is more based on fact than anyone knows...if i
say that most autographs ttm are forged, i've asked hundreds of
celebrities, i've compared to the thousands of autographs i've gotten
in person. and no one on this group has proven me wrong yet. it's the
one off person who posts some random garbage, calls me a name, sticks
around for a week and then disappears...i'm not really trying to call
you stupid, but if you think that this group means anything in the real
world, you are sadly mistaken.
i'm called upon to write articles about autograph collecting in the
magazines that celebrate autograph collecting. people ask me for my
opinion about autographs on a daily basis. anything i've put in r and
r, or at maestronet or at sothebys (yes, i've put items in with all of
them), there's never even any question, cause they have their own
autheticators and they would just not use the stuff.. and sure, there's
been items sent back to me from these places, but they are all because
they aren't deemed worthy of their catalogs or whatever (i have a
damaged SWAT cast signed poster that was recently returned because they
said the item wasn't worth the effort)
over the years, i've put in HUNDREDS of items to these auction houses
(not so much sotheby's) using my OWN, real name. I'm sure they've all
done research on me, i'm sure, when i send something in that already
has the psa dna authentication, they call psa and ask about me, and
i've worked with some psa people in the past.
but other than THIS GROUP, you'd be hard not to find that i have a
STELLAR reputation. (except some guy in new york that bought some stuff
and sent it back telling me that the autographs don't look like what he
got in the mail)..

and to answer the second part...sure, some of these places may have
made a forgery mistake or two (i have seen it myself) but it's nothing
compared to the actual thousands(maybe even millions) of fake items you
see on ebay everyday. and they all go through the pains of making sure
that the stuff is real to the best of their knowledge, some guy with a
computer and a photo printer in new mexico isn't selling autographs by
the hundreds without some kind of background check on his stuff with
these places like they can on ebay.
and i'm not really pumping r and r auctions per say. i'm just saying
that this guy gilchrist item may be better served through them as the
last one they had sold for DOUBLE what he's asking on ebay (and not
getting bids) and i gave a specific link to show the item. it just
seems that you should be able to seek out the people who really want
these items. nopt HOPE that someone sees it on ebay on a week to week
basis.

like i've been saying for a while, all those people doing the name
calling against me, you or anyone else, without signalling their real
name, it means absolutely nothing. sure, i get upst about it, but
bottom line, if you can't back it up and say your real name (more
because once a real name is used, that person knows there's
retribution), then it means nothing, it's done nothing. saying
something on this message board would never really hurt my reputation.
sure, there's people that don't like me, and that's probably all it is
too. but like i said, overall, in this business/hobby, no one really
refutes my word...
mike

Old October 12th 06, 07:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

I beg to differ; there are lurkers out here in this group from various
auctions and other businesses. A few people have emailed me off group
here and there. This group, along with many others is a place some go
to monitor what fans/collectors and others say. It's one aspect of
marketing.

I don't know about what you are called outside this group. But if you
do a search on Google, this group comes up so if anyone is checking
you out, a lot of horrible messages come up. Some justified and a lot
not justified I am sure. But it depends if they're checking up on you
or not. And if someone is concerned with their reputation as you say
R&R and Sotheby's etc is, you can bet they'll know about you. My guess
with R&R who I think is trying to be a big auction house but is not
even close to a Butterfield's or Christies or Sotheby's is not
checking up on you or anyone else. I think (and this is just my
personal opinion; I really have no clue) they are listing stuff
expensively to APPEAR that they are something huge. Why? Because
people are idiots and think that something that is 800.00 MUST be
legit or why would it be so high?! Well I can say from first hand I
was in a Casino shop where a huge Star Wars item was on display with a
couple pretty funky sigs on it. One looked like a bad Fisher
secretarial and you can see those a mile away as fake. They had some
astronomical price (like 1250 or something like that on it). People
were saying "Oh I wish I had the money to buy that" and I was like
why? It's not right.... People need to learn to research crap first
and wait out for a decent price and YES, you can get good things cheap
on Ebay and YES you can get ripped off by bigger auction houses. I do
find Sotheby's and Christies etc to be so high profile that they must
triple check stuff or be outed; so unlikely you'll find forgeries
there. If you ever watched Antiques Roadshow, how many times have you
heard "even the experts can be fooled".

If this group is the only thing to cause you so much grief; why the
heck stay here. That's just me thinking aloud, no need to answer. It
was more rhetorical.

going to eat my carmel apple now; I feel the need for comfort food.
It's been a stressful week.