FA: Electrotype of 1793 Liberry Cap cent on eBay

Old August 19th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Redux: Electrotype of 1793 Liberty Cap cent on eBay

In article , "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
wrote:
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
scottishmoney wrote:
Ira, personally I cannot understand why you even mess with eBay,
other than to keep a web presence. For less money than you
contribute to Meg Whitman's voluminous holdings, you could have a
website created, put together a mailing list of your customers, and
not have to deal with all this nonsense. I know how you sell a lot
of your coins, even the eBay ones. I know of B&M sellers that
branched off eBay started their own sites, and are doing more that
way based on established reputation than they did being nobody on
eBay. I believe you should also consider the possibility of an
email list, I would like to be on it, so I don't have to go
snooping on eBay for your goods.

I have no idea where you first encountered Ira, scottish, but I first
encountered him in these pages several years ago. Since that time I
have added over a dozen of his offerings to my collection, some of
them his eBay items, others which I commissioned him to find for me.
Otherwise, it is likely that I would not have learned of his
service. So I'm glad he's here, even if I do heckle him from time
to time (I hope the Gentle Readers of this ng interpret it as
good-natured heckling!).

At this point I have Ira's eBay offerings bookmarked in my browser
and learned that way what he had brought back from ANA. It was I,
and perhaps others, who goaded him via private email to post a
couple items here. If by so doing I have been responsible for the
ensuing slugfest, I am truly sorry.

James

nope, you are not in any responsible for accidently stepping on the
dog****.

Whew! That was a close one.

James the Neatshod

thanks for the good laugh. been a grim week.
Old August 19th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

reality wrote:
On Aug 18, 2:24 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
scottishmoney wrote:

I have no idea where you first encountered Ira, scottish, but I
first encountered him in these pages several years ago. Since that
time I have added over a dozen of his offerings to my collection,
some of them his eBay items, others which I commissioned him to
find for me. Otherwise, it is likely that I would not have learned
of his service. So I'm glad he's here, even if I do heckle him
from time
to time (I hope the Gentle Readers of this ng interpret it as
good-natured heckling!). At this point I have Ira's eBay offerings
bookmarked in my browser
and learned that way what he had brought back from ANA. It was I,
and perhaps others, who goaded him via private email to post a
couple items here. If by so doing I have been responsible for the
ensuing slugfest, I am truly sorry.

James

Same place you encountered him, I encountered him too. In a way he
is a bit like a drug dealer, feeding addictions, but harmless ones,
'cept to the wallet. Ira must have a great memory, or keep tabs on
collectors wants, because I got an email from him a couple of years
ago about something I wanted a nice example of, and he had a nice
uncleaned, unmessed with original 1799 Bust Dollar, B-10 BB-163.
Admittedly that coin was the first American coin I had bought in
quite some years. Since then I have been buying nice choice examples
of several American, usually 19th century coins. My most recent Ira
purchase was a brilliant Unc. 1923, in 65 but all the necessaries
for a 66, but at a 65 price. The '23 is posted over in ABPN.

Yep, you were the one who was on the phone with him when I called to
order that 1799 dollar. He put me on hold and then told me it had
just sold. 8(

James the Procrastinator

Thank goodness you didn't buy it, because at Ira's prices the buyer
won't be able to sell it and make any money within the next 199
years.

Ask me if I care. Go ahead, ask...

James

you can shorten that with the old dilligaf.
Old August 19th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

Maybe someone should be reporting these kinda group activities to
eBay. This show that people are reporting this for personal gain, to
ruin other peoples reputations, and just plain boredom. It's really
just a plain Nazi, childish, and senseless stunt. The kinda things
that have ruin many other groups over the years. I wouldn't be
surprised if people like Ira doesn't start filing charges, or talking
to an attorney.
Old August 19th 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Mazor

"sgt23" wrote in message
Maybe someone should be reporting these kinda group activities to
eBay. This show that people are reporting this for personal gain, to
ruin other peoples reputations, and just plain boredom. It's really
just a plain Nazi, childish, and senseless stunt. The kinda things
that have ruin many other groups over the years. I wouldn't be
surprised if people like Ira doesn't start filing charges, or talking
to an attorney.

Sue for damages for postings in newsgroups? Many have threatened, few have actually
tried, hardly any have succeeded. Unless you can prove that an on-line nemesis has
reached out and actually interfered with (prevented) likely sales from actual (not
theoretical) purchasers, or otherwise directly caused provable damages, it's almost always
a waste of time and money.

Not that this would prevent some huckster lawyer from taking your case and your money; but
just as a district attorney can indict a ham sandwich, anyone can sue anyone for anything.
Filing the charges and making them stick are two different things.

The fact is, almost everyone who posts is fated to endure the slings and arrows of what
passes for discourse on newsgroups. Either grow a thick skin and ignore it, learn to
enjoy fighting back, or drop out and stick to the more sedate discussions on alt.knitting.

Old August 19th 08, 08:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scott Stevenson

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 03:36:10 GMT, "John Mazor"
wrote:

"sgt23" wrote in message
[...]

I take it you weren't here during "the incident" several years ago?

take care,
Scott
one of the original 46

Old August 19th 08, 08:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Mazor

wrote:

"sgt23" wrote in message
[...]

No. By "incident" do you mean an offense where gauntlets merely were thrown, or an actual
enforced court ruling arising out of tortious behavior?

Old August 19th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

"Scott Stevenson" wrote in message I
take it you weren't here during "the incident" several years ago?

take care,
Scott
one of the original 46

Okay you "Screaming fishwife" I could not believe that was actually
placed into the briefing.

-From another of the original 46, if the slab is **** you must acquit.

Old August 19th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Krummel

wrote:

"sgt23" wrote in message
[...]

I was included, as part of a group of defendants, in a lawsuit. I was
served and paid $2700 in legal fees before I was dropped from the suit.
Posting to rcc was the only basis for my involvement in the lawsuit,
specifically this quote from an rcc post;

"I believe, from the comments I have read and from images of
ACG overgraded coins to which I have been linked, that ACG does in fact
overgrade coins and certify counterfeit coins. I believe that the evidence
lends itself to the appearance that the overgrading is done knowingly, to
the financial benefit of people who know better, at the expense of people
who do not know better. These things I believe without any doubt. I cannot
speak or type any differently than that which I believe."

The lawsuit described me as a defendant and showed this quote attributed to
me; "ACG does in fact
overgrade coins and certify counterfeit coins.".

While I did not lose the lawsuit, it did cost me $2,700 before it ended for
me. All because of the above post to rcc newsgroup.

Bill

Old August 19th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Mazor

wrote:

"sgt23" wrote in message
[...]

That sucks. Maybe I better lawyer up, too. I once wrote a column (not just a letter to
the editor) in Coin World where I named a grading service for fraudulent grading practices
and named the partner e-Bay seller that was routinely and solely selling these items.
Boy, am I quaking in my boots! (Not. The editor not only approved the draft, she
specifically encouraged me to name names when I offered to keep names out of it.
Obviously they aren't worried about libel suits on this kind of journalism. I kept the
examples and paperwork I used to make my determination. The truth is always an absolute
defense against libel or slander.)

But what was the ultimate disposition of the suit? As I said, anyone can sue anyone for
anything. Putting aside the real damage to you of the legal fees, the only thing that
matters is the court's ruling. A few years ago a local poster in my area on a localized
newsgroup filed suit in my county for defamation and libel damages against a poster who
had been ragging him mercilessly, including all kinds of ridiculous obscene accusations.
As far as I know the suit is still up there in the county courthouse with no ruling or
disposition, or has been dismissed by the court for lack of further activity.

FA: My 1793 ½ Cent bgg Coins 9 April 2nd 08 01:21 AM
An interesting 1793 cent? James Higby Coins 18 March 6th 05 01:05 AM
1793 large cent on eBay needs comment James Higby Coins 24 July 10th 04 01:55 PM
1793 Liberty Cap Cent Cent PCGS F-15 Photos are here Ira Stein Coins 3 February 15th 04 11:40 AM
1793 cent set Denis Loring Coins 2 February 12th 04 01:57 AM