FA: Electrotype of 1793 Liberry Cap cent on eBay

Old August 18th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

Default Electrotype of 1793 Liberry Cap cent on eBay

On Aug 18, 1:03*pm, Jon Purkey wrote:

I guess if you are listing a 19th century electro that does not have
the copy you should state it was made before the hobby protection rule
went into effect so eBay would not be so quick to pull the trigger

Sec. 304.6 Marking requirements for imitation numismatic items.

(a) An imitation numismatic item which is manufactured in the
United States, or imported into the United States for introduction
into or distribution in commerce, shall be plainly and permanently
marked "COPY".
(b) The word "COPY" shall be marked upon the item legibly,
conspicuously, and nondeceptively, and in accordance with the further
requirements of these regulations.
(1) The word "COPY" shall appear in capital letters, in the
English language.
(2) The word "COPY" shall be marked on either the obverse or the
reverse surface of the item. It shall not be marked on the edge of the
item.
(3) An imitation numismatic item of incusable material shall be
incused with the word "COPY" in sans-serif letters having a vertical
dimension of not less than two millimeters (2.0 mm) or not less than
one-sixth of the diameter of the reproduction, and a minimum depth of
three-tenths of one millimeter (0.3 mm) or to one-half (\1/2\) the
thickness of the reproduction, whichever is the lesser. The minimum
total horizontal dimension of the word "COPY" shall be six millimeters
(6.0 mm) or not less than one-half of the diameter of the
reproduction.
(4) An imitation numismatic item composed of nonincusable material
shall be imprinted with the word "COPY" in sans-serif letters having a
vertical dimension of not less than two millimeters (2.0 mm) or not
less than one-sixth of the diameter of the reproduction. The minimum
total horizontal dimension of the word "COPY" shall be six millimeters
(6.0 mm) or not less than one-half of the diameter of the
reproduction.
No mention of "grandfathering" in old counterfeits.
Old August 18th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

Default Redux: Electrotype of 1793 Liberty Cap cent on eBay

"Ira" wrote in message news:51fb812b-7494-
Jim,

It was listed under US Coins: Large Cent: Reproductions so no foul
there. Thre were 17 sould who had that coin on their watch list. Well,
I'll just sell it to the dealer who made me the offer in Long Beach
next month.

Ira, personally I cannot understand why you even mess with eBay, other than
to keep a web presence. For less money than you contribute to Meg Whitman's
voluminous holdings, you could have a website created, put together a
mailing list of your customers, and not have to deal with all this nonsense.
I know how you sell a lot of your coins, even the eBay ones. I know of B&M
sellers that branched off eBay started their own sites, and are doing more
that way based on established reputation than they did being nobody on eBay.
I believe you should also consider the possibility of an email list, I would
like to be on it, so I don't have to go snooping on eBay for your goods.

Regarding the electrotypes, a link was posted to the electrotypes in the
repros section, those are not even good enough to be referred to as
electrotypes, they are more like cheapo knockoff BS. The only time I have
seen and held an authentic electrotype was one of the Higley coppers from
1737, now that is a piece I wish I had now - I had the chance to buy it, but
being a teenager I passed on it for something more mundane.

Old August 18th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Aug 18, 3:31*pm, "scottishmoney" wrote:

Ira, personally I cannot understand why you even mess with eBay, other than
to keep a web presence. *

It's an ego thing for Irastein.
If he didn't occasionally put some big ticket coin (which almost
invariably doesn't sell) up on eBay, he couldn't come here and blow
off about what a big man he thinks he is.
To Irastein, money is the be all and end all of everything.
He's a shallow little putz with delusions of grandeur.
Old August 18th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

scottishmoney wrote:
Ira, personally I cannot understand why you even mess with eBay,
other than to keep a web presence. For less money than you
contribute to Meg Whitman's voluminous holdings, you could have a
website created, put together a mailing list of your customers, and
not have to deal with all this nonsense. I know how you sell a lot of
your coins, even the eBay ones. I know of B&M sellers that branched
off eBay started their own sites, and are doing more that way based
on established reputation than they did being nobody on eBay. I
believe you should also consider the possibility of an email list, I
would like to be on it, so I don't have to go snooping on eBay for
your goods.

I have no idea where you first encountered Ira, scottish, but I first
encountered him in these pages several years ago. Since that time I have
added over a dozen of his offerings to my collection, some of them his eBay
items, others which I commissioned him to find for me. Otherwise, it is
likely that I would not have learned of his service. So I'm glad he's here,
even if I do heckle him from time to time (I hope the Gentle Readers of this
ng interpret it as good-natured heckling!).

At this point I have Ira's eBay offerings bookmarked in my browser and
learned that way what he had brought back from ANA. It was I, and perhaps
others, who goaded him via private email to post a couple items here. If by
so doing I have been responsible for the ensuing slugfest, I am truly sorry.

James

Old August 18th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

I have no idea where you first encountered Ira, scottish, but I first
encountered him in these pages several years ago. Since that time I have
added over a dozen of his offerings to my collection, some of them his
eBay items, others which I commissioned him to find for me. Otherwise, it
is likely that I would not have learned of his service. So I'm glad he's
here, even if I do heckle him from time to time (I hope the Gentle Readers
of this ng interpret it as good-natured heckling!).

At this point I have Ira's eBay offerings bookmarked in my browser and
learned that way what he had brought back from ANA. It was I, and perhaps
others, who goaded him via private email to post a couple items here. If
by so doing I have been responsible for the ensuing slugfest, I am truly
sorry.

James

Same place you encountered him, I encountered him too. In a way he is a bit
like a drug dealer, feeding addictions, but harmless ones, 'cept to the
wallet. Ira must have a great memory, or keep tabs on collectors wants,
because I got an email from him a couple of years ago about something I
wanted a nice example of, and he had a nice uncleaned, unmessed with
original 1799 Bust Dollar, B-10 BB-163. Admittedly that coin was the first
American coin I had bought in quite some years. Since then I have been
buying nice choice examples of several American, usually 19th century coins.
My most recent Ira purchase was a brilliant Unc. 1923, in 65 but all the
necessaries for a 66, but at a 65 price. The '23 is posted over in ABPN.

Old August 18th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

scottishmoney wrote:

[...]

Yep, you were the one who was on the phone with him when I called to order
that 1799 dollar. He put me on hold and then told me it had just sold. 8(

James the Procrastinator

Old August 18th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

nope, you are not in any responsible for accidently stepping on the dog****.
Old August 19th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

On Aug 18, 2:24*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
scottishmoney wrote:

[...]

Thank goodness you didn't buy it, because at Ira's prices the buyer
won't be able to sell it and make any money within the next 199
years.
Old August 19th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

scottishmoney wrote:

[...]

Ask me if I care. Go ahead, ask...

James

Old August 19th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

scottishmoney wrote:
[...]

Whew! That was a close one.

James the Neatshod

FA: My 1793 ½ Cent bgg Coins 9 April 2nd 08 01:21 AM
An interesting 1793 cent? James Higby Coins 18 March 6th 05 01:05 AM
1793 large cent on eBay needs comment James Higby Coins 24 July 10th 04 01:55 PM
1793 Liberty Cap Cent Cent PCGS F-15 Photos are here Ira Stein Coins 3 February 15th 04 11:40 AM
1793 cent set Denis Loring Coins 2 February 12th 04 01:57 AM