definition of "tight"

Old February 12th 04, 02:01 AM
Peridote

Default definition of "tight"

As a bookseller, just musing over the proper use of the word "tight"
in describing books. I assume it can be properly used for old and new
hardcover books. Does it only describe the integrity of the hinge
areas and page (signature) adhesion? For instance, can a book with
sloping spine, bumped corners, or a rip in the spine cloth be called
"tight", if the hinges and pages are firm? Would a book with undamaged
hinges, but a mobile looseness due to its construction not be called
"tight"? Can paperback books be properly described as "tight"?

Peridote
Old February 14th 04, 03:54 AM
Peridote

Can paperback books be properly described as "tight"?

I do indeed use the term "tight" to describe paperbacks with no
spine creases.

I too have begun using "tight" to describe paperbacks, and I guess
that is where my questions began. Because, in my mind at least,
"tight" concerning a paperback had a broader meaning than with a
hardcover, that the book was true in form and structure in all its
parts, although it might have wear.

And when I consider a hardcover as "tight", I only think of the
hinge areas, with regards to like new/new books that haven't been
opened out all the way. Now if you've got marked problems with the
spine and corners which renders the book in much less than like new
condition, than methinks worrying about whether one can pep up one's
description with the term "tight" in this situation is nigh moot;

With like new/new books I agree with you. But with antiquarian books
"tight" makes an essential difference. It is often a happy thing to
buy a beat-up old book, but it is always sad to buy one that is
falling apart, deteriorating, with no practical options for its
rehabilitation.

peridote