In Memory Of The Good Old Days 1797

Old July 6th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default In Memory Of The Good Old Days 1797

"oly" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 6, 3:12 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 6, 2:48 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

roups.com...

Mon prof,

Can I show you what I just bought (or comitted to buy, as our deal
is
that I have a little while to pay the seller) the other day between
RCC posts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=180130857229&...

Votre eleve diable,

Robert
--------------
Also a big admirer of Dr. Sam'l Johnson, LLD

Oly, if this is your first Conder token, you now face a life of
addiction
unless YOU STOP NOW! There is no antidote and no known treatment for
the
disease about to consume you, except to acquire more, more, MORE!

This is Warwickshire/Birmingham D&H 51. Dr. Johnson is actually on
the
reverse, while the obverse is listed as "figure of a boy," and is
paired
with a half dozen other distinct reverses, seven in the set, trade
with
your
friends, collect 'em all.

When Jim Raye was yet alive, working at 31 N. Clark St. in Chicago, I
had
the happy opportunity to buy a whole boatload of Conders on the cheap,
over
the course of several visits to the store.

Now, you definitely need to get one of these:

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Cate...Level=2-3|Link=PT|special=search|ID=SearchClicked|i=2

Congratulations on your new acquisition, enjoy!

James

I have a copy (Quarterman(?) reprint) of Dalton and Hammer, and I had
a copy of Speer (which got waterlogged in some basement flooding and
I've never been able to replace).

Do you mean Schwer?

James- Hide quoted text -

Yes, that's it. I had a nice copy but it got mucked up badly in a
basement flooding.

I also have the little brown hardcover book on Conders that Whitman or
somebody put out about 1985-1990.

[Shamelessly name dropping now, attack me RCC denizens] Have you ever
seen Ken Bresset's Conders? I've seen some of them, and they are
great. I don't think he has one dollar apiece in them, and they are
just fantastic.

But this purchase is all about wanting to produce an art medal for Dr.
Johnson.

I'll keep my eyes open for a copy of Schwer for you. I've seen them around,
but they're pretty scarce. The little brown book was by Seaby (British
Tokens and Their Values) and was part of a series that included the
bellwether title Coins of England and the U.K., as well as volumes on
Scotland, Ireland, and the Islands.

I've not seen Bressett's Conders.

James

Old July 6th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 6, 3:43 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 6, 3:12 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

groups.com...

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Cate...Link=PT|special=search|I D=SearchClicked|i=2

[...]

At one ANA summer seminar about 1995, I took Mr. Fitts' class on Coins
of England and the United Kingdom. Mr. Bressett did a guest lecture
and he had eight to ten of those Whitman Albums with the pages with
clear slides that hold in the coins in their holes. I guess the
Albums' holes' diameters were half dollar-sized. It was great!

I was under the impression that Schwer was an above average item
nowadays. The little brown Seaby book is O.K. as far as it goes.

I consider quality Conders to be pretty pricey nowadays, but needed
this one for my special project.

oly

Old July 7th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

ups.com...
"oly" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 6, 3:12 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

groups.com...

wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

[...]

Do you differentiate between the ones made especially for collectors and
those made for circulation? I have a couple dozen Conders that I selected
for their interesting subject matter and design. The only book I have on
them is a 1970 Seaby which doesn't define the commerce vs collector status.
I was always leery of an RB uncirculated copper over 200 years old.

Bruce

Old July 7th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 6, 8:09 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 6, 3:43 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Jul 6, 3:12 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

groups.com...

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Cate...special=search|ID=Search Clicked|i=2

[...]

Bruce- Hide quoted text -

I really believe that the ones made for collectors finally outnumbered
the ones made for commerce, or those made to defraud the public.

Conders could be the original NCLT; but age has put a heavy hoary
veneer of great respectability on them. That is what good engraving
and popular subject matter can do when combined with 200 years of age.

Again, I'm not rushing out to buy Conders, they are pricey.

oly

Old July 7th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

I have a very limited collection of Conders but have a short story to
relate. One of my Conders is D&H1053, a Middlesex farthing by Thomas
Denton. He made buttons as well as creating tokens for commerce, and
on the sly, tokens for collectors. This brought him to the attention
of the authorities, and was tried for counterfeiting. Although he was
acquitted of the charge he was found guilty of possessing
counterfeiting equipment, and was hanged.

Old July 20th 12, 10:38 PM
youngcollector youngcollector is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oly View Post

"oly" wrote in message

[...]

ive got the same coin how much are they worth