New Oldies Radio Station Considering "8-Track Day"...

Old August 13th 03, 03:00 AM
Jason

Default New Oldies Radio Station Considering "8-Track Day"...

Hi,

I'm program director for a smalltown AM radio station that will soon
be flipping to an oldies format. The station has virtually no budget.
It's just a little 250 watt AM daytimer. But we're trying to do some
innovative and different things with it to make radio more fun.

One of us got the idea of an 8-track day. This would be setup on
remote somewhere sponsored by a local business. We'd announce it in
advance, and if people in the audience had any 8-tracks sitting in a
closet somewhere collecting dust, they could drop them off and we
could hang out and have some fun playing some of the songs from them
live on-air.

Yes, we understand there might be quality issues. We already probably
have most of the music we'd receive in our digital library too. We
just figured this might be a more fun way to experience the music for
a day. A whole new audience might get exposed to a song fading out in
the middle, then the loud *click*, and then the song fading back in
for it's conclusion - yes, we'd really put that out on the radio

Anyway, the station has NO 8-track player, and only about 30 8-track
tapes. I was wondering if anyone here might be interested in donating
some tapes or a player for our project. As an incentive, we'll
probably be videotaping the entire event for our webpage (pictures)
and private station audio archives onto DVD. We'd be happy to supply
this rare and highly collectable DVD-R free to people that help
contribute in our effort.

(I know, I know, it's not the $$$$ you might be hoping for, but we're
planning to put on some good radio...)

If you have some type of Internet 8-track related business such as the
sale of tapes, players, etc., and could benefit by radio
advertisements during the show in exchange for some of what we need, I
suppose we'd be happy to barter as well.

We'll probably be Internet streaming our station as well so even
people that couldn't contribute and listen via DVD would be able to
listen online. We're probably the only station considering anything
like this for an event. I'm sure it'll be unique.

I can't reveal too many station details now, as the format flip isn't
public yet... but if anyone was interested in validating my story
prior to sending anything, I would be happy to send you full station
address/phone number once we get closer to this project becoming
reality.

Would there be any interest here?? Any other ideas or suggestions for
a project like this?? Please help us make radio better! Please post
your replies, or if they are private, email. Thanks!

Jason
Old August 13th 03, 03:18 AM
Danspeakin

Hi,

I'm program director for a smalltown AM radio station that will soon
be flipping to an oldies format. The station has virtually no budget.
It's just a little 250 watt AM daytimer.

Like, what state is this in?
Dan 2
Old August 13th 03, 11:36 PM
Mfatoldsun

wow, sounds great!!!!! Very interested. I could send you a ton of sealed
8-tracks for free. Were and what station??

....mfat ....great idea

Old August 14th 03, 08:50 AM
Caljamscott

"Mfatoldsun" wrote in message
gy.com...
wow, sounds great!!!!! Very interested. I could send you a ton of sealed
8-tracks for free. Were and what station??

...mfat ....great idea

Send them to me instead.

Scott