Perhaps a new 8-track label?

Old April 18th 05, 05:40 PM
Jonny the 8-Tracker!

Default Perhaps a new 8-track label?

Since Malcolm told everyone over at 8TH of some old duplication
equipment up for sale, if the community held a fundraiser and scraped
together some tape and carts, 8-track Heaven could start the first new
"official" 8-track label in quite awhile. We could mostly cater to the
alternative/indie groups (including the musically-talented in the
'tracker scene) and run all kinds of things.

I'm also making use of junk tapes by letting all the tape slowly spin
its way from the spool into a big barrel with others (very hypnotizing,
let me tell you), mix the mass up a bit, then randomly cut
several-second snippets of tape and splice them together (upside or
backward, for that interesting, random effect so particular to the
behavior of the noble, nowhere near endangered 8-track species). Once I
wind the tape onto a spool, I make a purposely crummy label (though
perhaps of higher quality than some old 8-track boots) -- or just use
permanent market -- to cover the old title, maybe scrawl on a quick
name of a long-gone musical celebrity (Shaun Cassidy, for example), and
I have a genuine "K-TED" mix tape with minutes of listening to smile
and grimace through! (Perhaps a novelty item for the new tape label?)

Old April 19th 05, 04:16 PM
DeserTBoB

On 18 Apr 2005 09:40:22 -0700, "Jonny the 8-Tracker!"
wrote:

Since Malcolm told everyone over at 8TH of some old duplication
equipment up for sale, if the community held a fundraiser and scraped
together some tape and carts, 8-track Heaven could start the first new
"official" 8-track label in quite awhile. snip

....and just where are you going to get the tape pancakes? When
Quantegy folded late last year, that was IT for analog tape. There is
currently no source for new analog magnetic tape that would pass even
the most relaxed quality tests. The makers in Korea and India are
notoriously shoddy in terms of product.

I'm also making use of junk tapes by letting all the tape slowly spin
its way from the spool into a big barrel with others (very hypnotizing,
let me tell you) snip

Hmmmm...you have a lot of time on your hands, don't you? LOL

mix the mass up a bit, then randomly cut
several-second snippets of tape and splice them together (upside or
backward, for that interesting, random effect so particular to the
behavior of the noble, nowhere near endangered 8-track species). snip

Aha! A use for all those polka tapes!!

Once I
wind the tape onto a spool, I make a purposely crummy label (though
perhaps of higher quality than some old 8-track boots) -- or just use
permanent market -- to cover the old title, maybe scrawl on a quick
name of a long-gone musical celebrity (Shaun Cassidy, for example), and
I have a genuine "K-TED" mix tape with minutes of listening to smile
and grimace through! (Perhaps a novelty item for the new tape label?) snip

Whatever flips your switch, kiddo.

dB
Old April 19th 05, 09:37 PM
Dan

there is still lubricated tape being made: www.cartguys.com
new tape factory opening up in Pennsylvania (scroll down halfway):
www.usrecordingmedia.com

Later!
Dan

Old April 21st 05, 01:30 AM

there's a ton of existing tapes out there, that can be easily bulk
erased and re-labelled for your project. Just let me know if you want
or need blank 8-track cartridge stock, I can supply you with several
hundred carts, or even thousands.

You can opt for the bulk erased and respliced blanks too, for a little
more coin. But I'm talking CHEAP on the blanks, 50 cents each, if you
want prepped ones, a little more. I can also supply them indexed to
the beginning of the tape

Old April 21st 05, 04:11 AM
DeserTBoB

On 19 Apr 2005 13:37:21 -0700, "Dan" wrote:

there is still lubricated tape being made snip

Wrong. This says nothing about "making new tape." They're using old
stock Quantegy cart tape, the last batch of which rolled out of
Opelika, AL last year.

new tape factory opening up in Pennsylvania (scroll down halfway):
www.usrecordingmedia.com snip

Also bad information. As you see, these people are Quantegy
resellers, and are a reputable dealer. There is no "new factory"
opening in Pennsylvania. Negotiations to get the Quantegy plant back
online are continuing as of last week. There is a plan to have one of
the more reputable media retailers (not US Recording) have batches of
tape produced at the Quantegy plant to their own specs and QC
standards. Not much has been heard about that since. More later when
I call some folks.

dB
Old April 21st 05, 01:12 PM

ps- Jonny, keep in mind many of the ez
listening-classical-country-jazz-soundtrack tapes at the local thrifts,
were played very little, are usually very clean- and have the improved
spring type pads in them. Those are great tapes to bulk erase and use
as blanks- as they are actually superior to most blank tapes in build
quality. The price is right- you can usually talk a thrift store
manager down to 5 tapes for a buck, they just want them off their
shelves.

I also have a large stock of bona fide blanks if you prefer.

Old April 22nd 05, 03:01 AM
Jonny the 8-Tracker!

First I need an album. (I was always thinking of starting a band,
but I need to learn more than three guitar chords!) But I think I will
try to convince the manager of the local thrifty-shop to let me take
the 8-tracks off his/her back (or at least ask if they have any more in
the back, since the supply seems to stay even when I return a week
after buying a dozen). 45 cents a cart is too much for Dolly Parton!

Old April 23rd 05, 02:47 PM

Pick through the tapes, and take all the ones with the large grey
plastic rollers and spring pads- also take all the blanks that are used
or unused. Offer 20-25 cents each for them, and take as large a volume
as you can afford and store- that gets the store manager's blood
pumping and he sees a clear shelf instead of a cluttered shelf. They
can't resist volume sales on 8-tracks.

Considering the current state of so-called "rock" and "pop" music, your
band would probably be better than what's on the top 40 radio stations
today- even with only 3 chords !

Old April 29th 05, 05:44 PM
UNIVERSAL GENIUS

Johnny, you still need recording blanks ?? check out the 450 tapes I
just put up on ebay- if you are serious, I'd bulk erase them all for
you