Where have all the collectors gone?

Old December 7th 12, 04:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Where have all the collectors gone?

Jerry, thanks much for the thoughtful response. I'll check those other websites you mentioned.

I get to see FCC suffer the same fate as rec.collecting.books, once a fantastic newsgroup with many fine discussions, and now just a wasteland of ads and off topic crap.

Sic transit ...

-- Scot
Old December 8th 12, 01:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Roßert G. Schaffrath

On Dec 3, 10:47 pm, sgt23 wrote:
On Dec 3, 3:33 pm, scotkamins wrote:
I thought most of them died off.

Come on guys lets get serious. Most coin collectors are well into
their 40's or older and this group goes back nearly 20 years. I'd bet
about 50% of the former members here have kicked the bucket or they
are in a retirement home or an old folk's home.

It is the same in amateur radio too. Most practitioners are middle ages
men like myself. Granted I got my license when I was 27 but we all get old.
Old December 8th 12, 02:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Saturday, December 8, 2012 6:41:20 AM UTC-6, Roßert G. Schaffrath wrote:
On Dec 3, 10:47 pm, sgt23 wrote: On Dec 3, 3:33 pm, scotkamins wrote: I thought most of them died off. Come on guys lets get serious. Most coin collectors are well into their 40's or older and this group goes back nearly 20 years. I'd bet about 50% of the former members here have kicked the bucket or they are in a retirement home or an old folk's home. It is the same in amateur radio too. Most practitioners are middle ages men like myself. Granted I got my license when I was 27 but we all get old.

Age is part of it, but the drying up of much discretionary income is a big part of it too. Also, when a common Franklin half dollar goes from being a three dollar item to a twelve or fifteen dollar item, can you justify the cost as a "collectable"??? Our hobby hasn't even begun to really sort out what the higher price of silver has done, starting about three years ago.

Lots and lots and lots of the silver items that have been little coin collector's treasures after 1964 until now are going to hit the melting pot.

Come to think of it, I think I really covered what happened to RCC in my first post in this thread. You can blame us ******* trolls too, but we were just sideshow.

oly
Old December 8th 12, 02:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Saturday, December 8, 2012 7:02:59 AM UTC-6, oly wrote:
On Saturday, December 8, 2012 6:41:20 AM UTC-6, Roßert G. Schaffrath wrote: On Dec 3, 10:47 pm, sgt23 wrote: On Dec 3, 3:33 pm, scotkamins wrote: I thought most of them died off. Come on guys lets get serious. Most coin collectors are well into their 40's or older and this group goes back nearly 20 years. I'd bet about 50% of the former members here have kicked the bucket or they are in a retirement home or an old folk's home. It is the same in amateur radio too. Most practitioners are middle ages men like myself. Granted I got my license when I was 27 but we all get old. Age is part of it, but the drying up of much discretionary income is a big part of it too. Also, when a common Franklin half dollar goes from being a three dollar item to a twelve or fifteen dollar item, can you justify the cost as a "collectable"??? Our hobby hasn't even begun to really sort out what the higher price of silver has done, starting about three years ago. Lots and lots and lots of the silver items that have been little coin collector's treasures after 1964 until now are going to hit the melting pot. Come to think of it, I think I really covered what happened to RCC in my first post in this thread.. You can blame us ******* trolls too, but we were just sideshow. oly

The middle class American standard of living is hitting the skids, and big time. Little pleasures like small-timey coin collecting get set aside, if not sold off. I've been pretty damn lucky in these regards, myself.

oly
Old December 8th 12, 08:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim_Higgins

On 12/8/12 11:14 AM, Anonymous wrote:
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 15:53:11 -0500, hp wrote:

snip

Nothing Anonymous writes is ever worth reading.

Old December 8th 12, 09:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Saturday, December 8, 2012 1:27:00 PM UTC-6, Jim Higgins wrote:
On 12/8/12 11:14 AM, Anonymous wrote: On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 15:53:11 -0500, hp wrote: snip Nothing Anonymous writes is ever worth reading.

Poor poor Ellen, she was such a beard for so many years.

oly
Old December 9th 12, 03:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 12/08/2012
at 11:27 PM, Anonymous said:

On 08-Dec-12 14:27, Jim_Higgins wrote: On 12/8/12 11:14 AM, Anonymous
wrote:

Nothing Anonymous writes is ever worth reading.

And your point was confirmed.

Odd that even with almost not traffic here, I still find myself doing this

plonk

Nick
Old December 9th 12, 11:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob-tx[_2_]

""Roßert G. Schaffrath"" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 10:47 pm, sgt23 wrote:
On Dec 3, 3:33 pm, scotkamins wrote:
I thought most of them died off.

Come on guys lets get serious. Most coin collectors are well into
their 40's or older and this group goes back nearly 20 years. I'd bet
about 50% of the former members here have kicked the bucket or they
are in a retirement home or an old folk's home.

It is the same in amateur radio too. Most practitioners are middle ages
men like myself. Granted I got my license when I was 27 but we all get
old.

I think it is all the things that have been mentioned in these replies. For
me, I am 78 years old and began collecting in 1950. Then one could
occasionally find a few collectable coins in circulation, even an Indian
Head penny now and then, and of course, gobs of buffalo nickels. There is
so little collectable stuff in circulation now days that I for one don't
even bother to look at my change anymore. Everything is buy - buy - buy, or
sell - sell - sell. The counterfeits haven't helped things either. The
mint is partly to blame. Used to, about the only things they sold were mint
sets and proof sets. Now, it is anything to make a buck. It seems to me,
it has become more of sideline business to many, rather than a hobby for the
love of the beauty of coins, and their history. For these reasons,
collecting was no longer enjoyable.

I quit collecting several years ago, but still have enough interest to come
to this NG a couple times a week to peek at you all. I have gotten rid of
most of my coins. At least you know where one collector has gone.

PS: Armature Radio is a bit different. I got my general in 1952, a four
letter call (after the W5). First of all, CB radio took its toll as far as
new people getting into AR, and then it was cell phones, so most people saw
no use of AR, and now computers and News groups. Of course, these things
could never fill the job and purpose of AR, but people could communicate,
and never gave AR a thought.

Bob-tx

Old January 26th 13, 01:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
linxlvr[_2_]

On Monday, December 3, 2012 3:33:12 PM UTC-5, scotkamins wrote:
Hi Folks,

Last time I was here was several years ago. At that time dozens of

messages were posted here every day. Unless my newsfeed has gone

kerbluey, I'm seeing just a few messages AT MOST for any recent day.

Is there a new newsgroup for coins somewhere? I mean. I know that Usenet

is in decline but surely interest in coin collecting hasn't disappeared!

And thanks!

Jerry Dennis is right. We didn't all die off in a 5 year span. We just got sick of the BS. As an example, back in the xmas swap days, I was doing three swaps each yr. I ended up making friends with a good number of them. None of them were here after we started getting constant spam. I stayed in touch with them for quite a time. We all just had better things to do than read crap that some screwballs want to post.
Old January 26th 13, 05:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Jerry Dennis is right. We didn't all die off in a 5 year span. We just got sick of the BS. As an example, back in the xmas swap days, I was doing three swaps each yr. I ended up making friends with a good number of them. None of them were here after we started getting constant spam. I stayed in touch with them for quite a time. We all just had better things to do than read crap that some screwballs want to post.

Still here, read it almost every day, even though the quantity has gone way down, I still enjoy reading Oly, BRemick, and yes, even JAM (uber-liberal!) :-) I made a lot of friends through this BB, Jerry Dennis included! Sad to say that RCC is on it's last legs.