Bank of Russia Banknotes of 1995 Issue

Old September 13th 03, 09:52 PM
Scottishmoney

Default Bank of Russia Banknotes of 1995 Issue

"sf" wrote in message
Hello,
Can someone please tell if "Bank of Russia Banknotes of 1995 Issue" are
still valid legal tender in Russia that can be exchanged ?

How about Russian Banknotes of 1993 issue ?

Maybe someone can direct me to where I can find details about this
myself ?

I have visted http://www.cbr.ru/eng/ and they have pictures and
descriptions of 1995 and 1997 issue banknotes but do not details
regarding the validity of the 1995 as legal tender.

I have 76,540 in ruble notes and have been told by a friend that they
are now worthless due to the issue date.

thx
sf

Unlike in the Soviet days, the Russian Govt left the previous notes in
circulation as legal tender for a specified amount of time, I cannot
remember how long it was but I think it was about a year or two. I think in
all probability that the notes are now worthless except as curiousities
because of the redemption time having passed.

Even in recent times the Soviet Govt demonetized note issues overnight, ie
the 50 and 100 Ruble notes because of alleged corruption involving notes of
those denominations. For a couple of years nothing in those denominations
circulated. In 1991 when I was there the Soviet govt issued the 100 Ruble
note just a couple of days before I got there and in fact I got some of the
first actually issued in the Magadan Oblast when I exchanged my money. Of
course everybody whom got them when I spent them looked at them like
something curious and suspect, but all took them. The only hard time I ever
had spending money was when I ran out of rubles and had to spend dollars in
a market, the lady would not take them because they did not have a
watermark. That would not happen now, US$ circulates much more than back in
1991 and US$ have watermarks.

Dave

Old September 13th 03, 10:58 PM

Russia issued "New Ruble" in 1998. 1 new Ruble=1,000 "old" Rubles. Notes
before 1998 are no longer legal tenders.
Tom Chao
http://tomchao.com

Old September 15th 03, 07:45 AM
Nicholas Cheung

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:34:53 +0200 (CEST), "sf"
wrote:

I believe that the 1993 and 1995 issues are still redeemable at the
major banks at the rate of 1,000 of those rubles to 1 "new" ruble.

Therefore, you still have 76.54 "new" rubles, even though at the
current rate (30 "new" rubles to US$1 or so) , it is not worth
exchanging them, probably good to start a collection of sorts.

Nick

HTH!

Hello,
Can someone please tell if "Bank of Russia Banknotes of 1995 Issue" are
still valid legal tender in Russia that can be exchanged ?

How about Russian Banknotes of 1993 issue ?

Maybe someone can direct me to where I can find details about this
myself ?

I have visted http://www.cbr.ru/eng/ and they have pictures and
descriptions of 1995 and 1997 issue banknotes but do not details
regarding the validity of the 1995 as legal tender.

I have 76,540 in ruble notes and have been told by a friend that they
are now worthless due to the issue date.

thx
sf

To reply by e-mail, use goldeneye at verizon dot net.
Old September 17th 03, 11:07 AM
Tutukin Oleg - Sales Manager

Currently in circulation: 1997 type and 2001 modification of 1997 type
Exchangable in State owned "Savings Bank": 1995 type, 1993, 1994 type @
rate 1:1000
Not valid anymo Soviet currency of pre-1993 and Russian Federation
currency of 1992 (5.000/10.000)
With the last one you should be carefull since it has pretty similar
apperance with 1993

Oleg,
The Russia/Moscow resident