Jerry Morris reply to me some time ago.

Old June 9th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Jerry Morris reply to me some time ago.

Sorry Jerry I don't get back here very often. Thank you for your nice
note. Your collecting pattern, including bibliographies is sure to be
one which could be helpful to many serious young collectors. You have
so much easy information at home, I have seen you help the
pros[librarians, that is].

I went to the Hyde viewing and did not bid at the sale. My collection
was garnered in bargain hunts in Japan before 1981 and by mail starting
in 1964-in Japanese only. All Japanese catalogs used to be only in
Japanese, and I managed to order from the first one I got, because I
knew the characters for many of the book I wanted, and they were under
art in the catalog.
By my standards at that time, the Hyde prices were high. Little did I
know how high prices would be getting. In those days I could find
things for cheap in Used and rare bookshops in the US, too. I used to
get one good book every summer in Vermont.

Now I can still get good things from time to time below Japanese high
end dealer market cost. But not with wild success. I would be glad to
give up that collection, but my wife has been saying no, as I said
before. I think it would be a good idea, because otherwise I am tempted
to over pay-that is buy at true retail.

Best,
Gabriel

Old June 9th 06, 11:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Gabriel,

It's good to hear from you! My memory must be on the downslide; I had
to look in the achives to see what my last response to you was :-)
http://www.tinyurl.com/fs568

Cheers,
Jerry Morris,
Man of Other People's Books

[...]