Mexico stamps - Memin Pinguin

Old June 30th 05, 04:46 PM
John DeBoo

Default Mexico stamps - Memin Pinguin

Looks like the Rev. Jesse Jackson and some others are outraged at
Mexico's newest stamp release that shows a black cartoon character
"Memin Pinguin" on them (as per our local newspaper today). I guess
they're still stinging from remarks Mexico's President Vicente Fox made
a couple weeks ago blacks. I wonder when some of this 'overboard'
sensitivity stuff will end? They're stamps, and I don't see them
screaming to purge the world of the Little Black Sambo books that were
about during my childhood.

John
Old June 30th 05, 05:24 PM
Roger Smith

"John DeBoo" wrote in message
Looks like the Rev. Jesse Jackson and some others are outraged at Mexico's
newest stamp release that shows a black cartoon character "Memin Pinguin"
on them (as per our local newspaper today). I guess they're still
stinging from remarks Mexico's President Vicente Fox made a couple weeks
ago blacks. I wonder when some of this 'overboard' sensitivity stuff
will end? They're stamps, and I don't see them screaming to purge the
world of the Little Black Sambo books that were about during my childhood.

John

Does this Jackson object to the Simpsons (white cartoon characters)? He
will try to ban golliwogs next.

Regards, Roger

Old June 30th 05, 08:07 PM
Ralphael1

Snipped...

Does this Jackson object to the Simpsons (white cartoon characters)? He
will try to ban golliwogs next.

Regards, Roger

This Jackson objects to everything as long as it gives him some TV
exposure.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old July 2nd 05, 08:04 AM
Victor Manta

"John DeBoo" wrote in message
Looks like the Rev. Jesse Jackson and some others are outraged at Mexico's
newest stamp release that shows a black cartoon character "Memin Pinguin"
on them (as per our local newspaper today). I guess they're still
stinging from remarks Mexico's President Vicente Fox made a couple weeks
ago blacks. I wonder when some of this 'overboard' sensitivity stuff
will end? They're stamps, and I don't see them screaming to purge the
world of the Little Black Sambo books that were about during my childhood.

John

For those who, like me (from Europe), don't know what is the story about (it
looks like a kind of "competition" between two communities):

"Mexican President Vicente Fox called two American civil rights leaders
late Monday and told them he regretted any offense to African-Americans..."
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americ...16/mexico.fox/

"The Mexican government has issued a postage stamp depicting an
exaggerated... The 6.50-peso (60 cent) stamps ... was issued with the
domestic market in mind, but .... it could be used in international postage
as well."
The print run is of 750,000 stamps. One of the stamps is depicted he
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americ...xico.stamp.ap/

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Romania by Stamps: http://www.marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/communism/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old July 2nd 05, 06:30 PM
John DeBoo

Victor Manta wrote:
"John DeBoo" wrote in message

Looks like the Rev. Jesse Jackson and some others are outraged at Mexico's
newest stamp release that shows a black cartoon character "Memin Pinguin"
on them (as per our local newspaper today). I guess they're still
stinging from remarks Mexico's President Vicente Fox made a couple weeks
ago blacks. I wonder when some of this 'overboard' sensitivity stuff
will end? They're stamps, and I don't see them screaming to purge the
world of the Little Black Sambo books that were about during my childhood.

John

For those who, like me (from Europe), don't know what is the story about (it
looks like a kind of "competition" between two communities):

As you are probably well aware, the US has spawned a whole slew of
bleeding heart liberals who are concerned about offending anybody and
anything, and they push that agenda whenever it seems advantageous to
their cause. Jackson and Sharpton are two black activists who are
extremely vocal about such affairs and play their 'race' card often. In
fact, many view them as racists themselves. This isn't to say that
travesty's have not occurred in the past but lets get real here, we
can't attend to every purceived wrong, and IMO there is nothing wrong
with the stamps. Since they have been successful complaining about
trivial matters in the US they seem to think they can whine about
affairs in other countries, which is what they are doing to Mexico with
regard to the stamps. Mexico has countered that the Memin Pinguin
cartoon character has been around Mexico for many many years and is well
thought of by Mexico's citizens, therefore they have no intention of
wothdrawing their stamps. FWIW, I am a US born and raised citizen and
am not racist in the least, just annoyed because we have much larger
concerns to attend to, and their whining does little to help our image
with other countries.

John