VAM Coins Question

Old December 17th 03, 09:50 AM
PHILLIP COYLE

Default VAM Coins Question

I am new at collecting and I keep seeing coins with VAM numbers. I have
looked all over the place and can not find what I need to know about them.
First off are they worth more then other coins and second how can you tell
if you have one or not. Does any one know of a site that I can read more
about them? I have one that is slabbed as a VAM 4 that is only graded at
VG-8. I can't understand why any one would have a coin of this grade slabbed
unless it is worth more then others.

Old December 17th 03, 04:40 PM
David Wang

PHILLIP COYLE wrote:
I am new at collecting and I keep seeing coins with VAM numbers. I have
looked all over the place and can not find what I need to know about them.
First off are they worth more then other coins and second how can you tell
if you have one or not. Does any one know of a site that I can read more
about them? I have one that is slabbed as a VAM 4 that is only graded at
VG-8. I can't understand why any one would have a coin of this grade slabbed
unless it is worth more then others.

http://www.vamlink.com/What%20Is%20A%20VAM.htm

The big VAM book and the top-100 books are good starts.

--
davewang202(at)yahoo(dot)com
Old December 17th 03, 05:50 PM
Coin Saver

From: "PHILLIP COYLE"

I am new at collecting and I keep seeing coins with VAM numbers. I have looked

all over the place and can not find what I need to know about them.

A "VAM" denotes a slightlty different reverse (variety) due to the use of
different dies. Two men, Van Allen and Mallis, (VAM), developed the system of
cataloguing Morgan (and Peace) Dollars that we use now, where each different
variety is called a VAM, and each has been assigned a VAM Number.

are they worth more then other coins

To VAM collectors and dealers, yes; to others, no.

how can you tell if you have one or not.

VAMs are either Morgan (mostly) or Peace Dollar coins. I use a microscope (one
of those cheap "elementary school- aged chemestry set" types). The differences
are sometimes quite subtle.

Does any one know of a site that I can read more about them?

Several. Here's one; try a search for "VAM Morgan Peace Dollar Coin" =

http://vamlink.com/What%20Is%20A%20VAM.htm

8-l

Coin Saver
Old December 17th 03, 10:13 PM
PHILLIP COYLE

Thanks the web site and search put me in the right diraction. Wow what a
subject and a can of worms this opens up.

Old December 17th 03, 10:39 PM
David Wang

PHILLIP COYLE wrote:
Thanks the web site and search put me in the right diraction. Wow what a
subject and a can of worms this opens up.

A big can of worms.

There are some dealers that look down with disdain at those of us
that perform the numismatic equivalence of "dumpster diving".
Some of us receive immense pleasure at finding an ~AU Morgan
that would otherwise be worth $12, but because it has the
"correct" set of die gouges/chips/cracks, we hold it up as
treasure.

As a I posted a few days ago, someone found a new variety of
1879s Morgan, and that XF coin turned around and sold to a
collector for $1000. Not bad for a coin that may otherwise
fetch $15 on a good day.

--
davewang202(at)yahoo(dot)com
Old December 17th 03, 11:59 PM
Mark

PHILLIP COYLE wrote:
I am new at collecting and I keep seeing coins with VAM numbers. I have
looked all over the place and can not find what I need to know about them.
First off are they worth more then other coins and second how can you tell
if you have one or not. Does any one know of a site that I can read more
about them? I have one that is slabbed as a VAM 4 that is only graded at
VG-8. I can't understand why any one would have a coin of this grade slabbed
unless it is worth more then others.

What date and MM is the VAM 4 you mention?

Mark

Old December 18th 03, 01:52 AM
John Baumgart

"PHILLIP COYLE" wrote in message
I am new at collecting and I keep seeing coins with VAM numbers. I have
looked all over the place and can not find what I need to know about them.

VAM stands for Van Allen and Mallis, two people that wrote a book cataloging
die marriages of Morgan and Peace dollars. Leroy Van Allen is still
actively cataloging new varieties today (he has a few coins of mine right
now). George Mallis died a few years ago.

First off are they worth more then other coins and second how can you tell
if you have one or not.

Some are, most aren't.

Does any one know of a site that I can read more
about them?

Start at vamlink.com for an introduction plus lists of what coins are worth
premiums.

I have one that is slabbed as a VAM 4 that is only graded at
VG-8. I can't understand why any one would have a coin of this grade

slabbed
unless it is worth more then others.

VAM numbers start with 1 for each date and mintmark, so without having a
date to go by, it would be hard to tell whether or not the VAM 4 is worth a
premium. Two dates that come to mind are 1888-O and 1934-D. If it's an
1888-O, then VAM 4 is a strongly doubled obverse known as "hot lips," worth
about $25 instead of $7. A 1934-D VAM 4 is doubled obverse and micro D
mintmark worth about $35. Still below typical slabbing threshhold, but
neither is a bad coin to find in a junk box.

John Baumgart

Old December 18th 03, 05:38 PM
K6AZ

On 18 Dec 2003 00:05:01 GMT, ulsion (Phil DeMayo) wrote:

wrote:

A "VAM" denotes a slightlty different reverse (variety) due to the
use of different dies.

VAMS are not limited to reverse varieties.

Here is a good example of an obverse VAM:

http://www.k6az.com/collection/1890o_pcgs63.jpg

This is a VAM 10 "comet". This VAM has to die gouges
running from the rim into the field between the 0 in the
date and the star. This is a relatively late die stage, some
of the early die state coins are very easy to spot and go
for a nice premium.

Here is another obverse VAM, this one is the 1878 7/8 TF
VAM 38. This VAM has pronounced doubling of LIBERTY
in the headband, E PLURIBUS UNUM, and the stars.

http://www.k6az.com/forums/1878_vam38_2.jpg
--
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm

Counterfeit detection primer -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 10 December 14th 03 09:54 PM
Counterfeit detection primer -- periodic post Jim Coins 19 November 17th 03 05:37 AM
US Territories and... Grandpa Coins 29 September 22nd 03 08:11 PM
Coin Talk Needs You Peter T Davis Coins 51 September 16th 03 01:19 AM
Help on telling repro Linda Coins 11 July 30th 03 02:03 AM