1922 No D question

Old December 14th 03, 02:29 PM
John Carney

"Chris S" wrote in message
om...
You'll see that the portion of Lincoln's chest nearest the date shows
reduced detail, also worn down (or "up", from the coin's perspective)
by the die polishing that removed the "D". This evidence of polishing
over a greater area explains why no visible mound would exist.
Besides, I wouldn't expect a polishing that removed a die clash and a
mintmark to create a visible-to-the-naked eye increase in thinkness.

--Chris S

Nice to see you back Chris.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcarne...ns/rccers.html

Old December 14th 03, 07:21 PM
Chris S

"John Carney" wrote:
Nice to see you back Chris.

Thanks, John. I got distracted by a few hot projects and a long trip
this summer, and when I went to re-start on rcc, I found that my cable
internet provider had eliminated its news server. It wasn't until last
month or so that I figured out that I could post through Google,
albeit 3 to 9 hours delayed.

--Chris S
Old December 14th 03, 11:27 PM
Ira Stein

Frank Wright wrote:

Did you hear about the 1922 plain that was "found"
in the HAVE A PENNY, LEAVE A PENNY, NEED A PENNY
TAKE A PENNY tray? Did you see the photographs of
what great condition it was?

I think some coin collector pushed that coin into
circulation, just for the press.

I saw the photo, but it was a stocjk photo of the 1922 No D in Unc condition,
not the same as the coin that was found, which was purported to be VF.

I don't think it was a publicity stunt by anyone either. I belive it was simply
a coin that was in a collection that was stolen and then spent. That's how
1931S and 1909S Lincoln cents "suddenly" appear in change.

Ira Stein
Old December 14th 03, 11:48 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Ira Stein wrote:

Frank Wright wrote:

Did you hear about the 1922 plain that was "found"
in the HAVE A PENNY, LEAVE A PENNY, NEED A PENNY
TAKE A PENNY tray? Did you see the photographs of
what great condition it was?

I think some coin collector pushed that coin into
circulation, just for the press.

I saw the photo, but it was a stocjk photo of the 1922 No D in Unc condition,
not the same as the coin that was found, which was purported to be VF.

I don't think it was a publicity stunt by anyone either. I belive it was simply
a coin that was in a collection that was stolen and then spent. That's how
1931S and 1909S Lincoln cents "suddenly" appear in change.

Ira Stein

B..B...Bu...But I was told that cents do *not* circulate! I think a 1922
'plain' could still rear it's head without being a stolen item. ;-) A
1909-S VDB? No way.
;-( Too well known.

Alan
'searching for the silver lining'
Old December 15th 03, 12:07 AM
Vector

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:48:39 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams
wrote:

B..B...Bu...But I was told that cents do *not* circulate! I think a 1922
'plain' could still rear it's head without being a stolen item. ;-) A
1909-S VDB? No way.
;-( Too well known.

You Pros would consider me to be a casual collector. But I've been
aware of the 1922 no mm for decades. Even non-collectors hoard common
date wheat backs. This coin is more than 80 years old, and in VF is
worth "only" $800, within the reach of many collectors. I find it a
lot more believable that this coin was "liberated" illicitly from a
collector than that it remained in circulation all that time. And,
certainly only a very wealthy collector would give away a coin of such
value merely to get anonymous headlines.
Old December 15th 03, 12:20 AM
Stujoe

Vector spoke thusly...
I find it a
lot more believable that this coin was "liberated" illicitly from a
collector than that it remained in circulation all that time.

Me too but one thing to keep in mind is CoinStar. They processed 33.2
billion coins in 2002 which was more than double what the mint produced
in 2002 (14.4 billion). It was the second year in a row they processed
more coins than the Mint made.

That is a lot of sock drawers being emptied and a lot of change hoards
being liberated. It is not out of the realm of possibility, to me
anyway, that this 1922 might have made its way back into circulation in
a manner like that.

--
Stujoe
Email: http://tinyurl.com/wu00
Old December 15th 03, 06:47 AM
Dan Pon

Vector wrote in message . ..

You Pros would consider me to be a casual collector. But I've been
aware of the 1922 no mm for decades. Even non-collectors hoard common
date wheat backs. This coin is more than 80 years old, and in VF is
worth "only" $800, within the reach of many collectors. I find it a
lot more believable that this coin was "liberated" illicitly from a
collector than that it remained in circulation all that time. And,
certainly only a very wealthy collector would give away a coin of such
value merely to get anonymous headlines.

The only problem with the stolen coin theory is that even the dumbest
thief knows that the coin collection he stole is worth more than face
and he would've fenced it.