eBay "second chance" spoof

Old October 31st 04, 02:22 AM
John Baumgart

Default eBay "second chance" spoof

Not sure if this has come up here or not, but today, I received an e-mail
offering me a the chance to purchase a coin under eBay's "second chance"
policy, where a seller can offer an item to an underbidder if the high
bidder defaults or if the seller has duplicates to offer. The original
seller did not match the seller that allegedly sent the e-mail, and I'm
doubt it came from eBay, although the headers look like it. The grammar is
also a tip-off of its nature. I verified the fraudulent nature of the
e-mail by contacting the original seller through eBay. I haven't yet heard
from eBay on this, but expect to soon. The third party is an account with
no feedback, but I don't know if the account holder was actually involved in
this scam. Below is the e-mail I received. I added spaces to the links to
make them not work and anonymized the text. Be careful if you get anything
like this.

John Baumgart

---

This email was sent by an eBay member via eBay's email forwarding system.
If you reply to the email, your response will go directly to the member and
not through eBay.

eBay Marketplace Safety Tip:
If this email is an offer to sell you an item without winning the listing
on eBay, please report it to us at http://pages.ebay.fr
/help/policies/seller-solicitation.html.
Please do not respond to it. Regardless of the apparent feedback of the
sender or any claims they might make, such an offer is not only against our
rules, but it is extremely risky. It is unsafe to purchase such an item
through
a transaction that is not on our site. You will lose the benefit of eBay's
purchase protection programs, and run the risk of losing your money.

--------------------

To member: my username
From member: third party username

--------------------

----

*Do not reply this e-mail you can contact us to ebay@
ebay-safeharbour-center.com*
The seller * original seller *starts a second chance offer for Item #
item number titled * item title *.
You expressed interest in an item titled * item title *(Item # item
number )by bidding, however the auction has ended with another member as
the high bidder.
In compliance with eBay policy the seller * original seller * makes this
Second Chance Offer to you at your bid price of
US $my maximum bid.
The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because either the
winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or the seller has
duplicate items for sale.
If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange Feedback with
the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a
transaction, such as fraud protection.
To see this item, click on the link:
legitimate link to item I had bid on
To learn about Second Chance Offer go to:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/personal_offer.html
Thank You ,
eBay.com , Inc.

Old October 31st 04, 03:03 AM
Earl Bollinger

I always check my "MyEbay" page and look for a legit second chance offer.
The Phish fraudulent ones will not be in the Ebay information.
I never use the emails I get about ebay auctions anymore to link to Ebay and
the auctions.
The scammers are getting really smart and even send out fake "You have won"
auction pages hoping to scam you
from them too.

"John Baumgart" wrote in message
[...]

From member: third party username