Sources of Ancients

Old July 9th 04, 05:59 PM
Mame

Default Sources of Ancients

Hello All,

Does anyone know of an online store other than the VCoins and CNG that sell
ancients.

I am trying to price a Domitia Longina coin, prefferably silver if
available.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mame

Old July 9th 04, 06:16 PM
The Fausts

"Mame" wrote in message
Hello All,

Does anyone know of an online store other than the VCoins and CNG that

sell
ancients.

I am trying to price a Domitia Longina coin, prefferably silver if
available.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

All of the online stores I used to like have been assimilated by VCoins.
There is one little trick, though it will be time consuming. Some of the
VCoins dealers have their own additional sites with additional inventory not
posted on VCoins (Wayne Sayles, Harlan Berk, and the aforementioned CNG are
good examples). You can generally find these sites by going to a given
dealer's VCoins home page and choosing the "About" link.

There are probably other people here who can name some other online stores.

Are you going to include wives and daughters in your twelve Caesars set?
Domitia is a tough one to find, good luck!

Eric

Old July 9th 04, 06:19 PM
Mame

Yep, I am looking at the avenue but I am not sure if its practical. The
money I spend on the wives could be spent on a Julius Caesar etc.. I will
see how it goes.

Thanks for the tip. I will have a look on the sites.

Mame

"The Fausts" wrote in message
m...

Old July 9th 04, 06:43 PM
The Fausts

"Mame" wrote in message
Yep, I am looking at the avenue but I am not sure if its practical. The
money I spend on the wives could be spent on a Julius Caesar etc.. I will
see how it goes.

Thanks for the tip. I will have a look on the sites.

Mame

I've had denarii of wives of some of the adoptive emperors and the Severans,
but never got around to that with the twelve Caesars. Another one for the
"someday" list.

Are you familiar with www.wildwinds.com ? It lists ancient coin online
auction results. No coins for sale, but it gives you a ballpark idea of what
coins are selling for, and as such it is a good complement to other
references.

This site (which I linked to here recently) can be helpful just to jog your
memory about who your collection might be missing:
http://www.roman-emperors.org . The stemmata are especially well done.

Eric

Old July 9th 04, 08:30 PM
Dave Welsh

"Mame" wrote in message
Hello All,

Does anyone know of an online store other than the VCoins and CNG that

sell
ancients.

I am trying to price a Domitia Longina coin, prefferably silver if
available.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mame

Hi Mame,

One good alternative to CNG is Classical Coins:
www.classicalcoins.com

For pricing try Wildwinds:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/index.html

Dave Welsh
Classical Coins
www.classicalcoins.com

Old July 9th 04, 08:49 PM
Mame

Dear Dave & Eric,

Thankyou for the tips. I will look through those sites. I will let you know
if something particularily catches my eye. :-)

Mame

Old July 9th 04, 11:10 PM
Ankaaz

Mame wrote:

"Does anyone know of an online store other than the VCoins and CNG that sell
ancients. I am trying to price a Domitia Longina coin, prefferably silver if
available."

Good luck! She's -very- expensive, according to Sear.

Domitian's niece and mistress, Julia Titi, might be an alternative, although
she is quite pricey also. JJencek has an AE dupontius of Julia for $1,150.

I have AR Hadrian next to his missus, Sabina, but I've always wanted an
Antinous. Same thing, only different. ;-)

Anka

Old July 10th 04, 12:55 AM
Michael E. Marotta

"Mame" wrote
Does anyone know of an online store other than the VCoins and CNG that sell
ancients.

In addition to www.wildwinds.com recommended by Marlowe Goethe, you
might want to check out http://www.coinarchives.com/ which is the same
sort of thing but from different dealers. Mostly ANA, PNG, IAPN
members, these tend to be high end auctions.

If you subscribe to THE CELATOR -- or at least buy a sample issue
(costs more shipped to Au) -- you will find ads for about 100 dealers,
many of whom have independent online sites. In addition, of course,
you can query these dealers directly. Some, such as Berk (mentioned
here already) Waddell and about a dozen others antedate the WWW, the
Celator, and probably the Roman Empire.

Michael
Not that old

Michael
Old July 10th 04, 03:22 AM
The Fausts

"Michael E. Marotta" wrote in message
om...
"Mame" wrote
Does anyone know of an online store other than the VCoins and CNG that

sell
ancients.

In addition to www.wildwinds.com recommended by Marlowe Goethe, you
might want to check out http://www.coinarchives.com/ which is the same
sort of thing but from different dealers. Mostly ANA, PNG, IAPN
members, these tend to be high end auctions.

If you subscribe to THE CELATOR -- or at least buy a sample issue
(costs more shipped to Au) -- you will find ads for about 100 dealers,
many of whom have independent online sites. In addition, of course,
you can query these dealers directly. Some, such as Berk (mentioned
here already) Waddell and about a dozen others antedate the WWW, the
Celator, and probably the Roman Empire.

Good save, I can't believe Marlowe omitted The Celator!

Eric
'Goethe, and loving it'

Old July 10th 04, 06:30 PM
Scottishmoney

I have done business with Pegasi Numismatics of Ann Arbor for quite a few
years, they have a website and sell on eBay under Pegasinum(I think) I have
bought mostly Brit hammered from them, but they also have nice selections of
Greeks and Romans.

Dave

--
Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, s'nan Gaisgeach - Saor Alba A-Nis!
"Mame" wrote in message
Hello All,

Does anyone know of an online store other than the VCoins and CNG that

sell
ancients.

I am trying to price a Domitia Longina coin, prefferably silver if
available.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mame

---