Stinky Money

Old August 7th 03, 04:01 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Default Stinky Money

DHAKA (Reuters) - Bangladesh's central bankers rounding up the country's
soiled and smelly currency notes have discovered something even more
revolting: a pack of forged notes in their own vault.

The country's central bank said on Wednesday it had found fake currency
worth about $850 in its high-security vault and had suspended four
employees suspected of a racket.

"Crime, forgery and cheating have become so rampant in the country that
the central bank should better look for other instruments -- say, the
pied piper of Hamelin -- to clear it of all the rats," said a commercial
banker who declined to be identified.

The central bank, which has ordered banks to change soiled and torn
currency notes,
discovered the forgery as it was changing notes itself. Many Bangladesh
currency notes have become so dirty and smelly that even fishmongers
refuse to accept them.

The central bank, which had threatened to deny branch licenses to banks
that would not comply, had set up its own special counters to exchange
unusable notes.

"Forged notes amounting 50,000 taka were detected when a bundle of fresh
notes was
handed to a client," said Abdullah Al Mamun, an executive director of
the central bank. "This has badly damaged the central bank's reputation
of being the country's financial guardian."

Four bank employees have been suspended and a special inquiry was
looking for other
suspects, Mamun said. He added the bank would take stern action against
anyone found
involved in the forgery.

"We have been getting forged notes for many months now but relevant
authorities hardly took any step to find out the culprits," said a
second commercial banker who wanted to remainanonymous. "Now they have
invaded the heart of the banking system."

Even if they overcome criminal records, the perpetrators will have a
tough time finding new jobsin the banking sector: The World Bank (news -
web sites) earlier this week asked Bangladeshto fire about half of the
61,000 people employed by the country's four state-run commercial banks
as a first step in reforming its financial sector.

(end quote)

Rag bucks so foul fishmongers won't take them? ;-) LOL!
Bangladesh needs coins!

Alan
'who does not?'
Old August 7th 03, 04:13 PM
Scottishmoney

Alan & Erin Williams wrote in message
DHAKA (Reuters) - Bangladesh's central bankers rounding up the country's
soiled and smelly currency notes have discovered something even more
revolting: a pack of forged notes in their own vault.

Alan
'who does not?'

But it gets worse:

http://tinyurl.com/jaxy

Dave Parrish

Old August 7th 03, 04:54 PM
A.Gent

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote in message
"A.Gent" wrote:

"Scottishmoney" wrote in message

But it gets worse:

http://tinyurl.com/jaxy

hehehe
What a great tinyurl!

(or is "jaxy" non-US idiom?)

You'd have to explain it to me!

Alan
'parochial reader'

I'd rather not, Alan, if you don't mind - this being a family ng.
Hint: "Sun don't shine"

Provenance: Rowan Atkinson.

a-h-yuk a-h-yuk ...he said "jaxy"!

Old August 7th 03, 04:59 PM
Ed Hendricks

"A.Gent" wrote:

"Scottishmoney" wrote in message

But it gets worse:

http://tinyurl.com/jaxy

hehehe
What a great tinyurl!

(or is "jaxy" non-US idiom?)

You'd have to explain it to me!

Alan
'parochial reader'

Me too. "jaxy" doesn't mean anything to this dumb Yank.

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old August 7th 03, 05:07 PM
Ed Hendricks

"A.Gent" wrote:

"Scottishmoney" wrote in message

But it gets worse:

http://tinyurl.com/jaxy

hehehe
What a great tinyurl!

(or is "jaxy" non-US idiom?)

You'd have to explain it to me!

Alan
'parochial reader'

I'd rather not, Alan, if you don't mind - this being a family ng.
Hint: "Sun don't shine"

Provenance: Rowan Atkinson.

a-h-yuk a-h-yuk ...he said "jaxy"!

O-tay. Over here, in the hills, the outhouse is called a 'Jake'. I
guess the terms are related somehow.

Alan
'also a good fake by a wide receiver'

A good fake by a wide receiver is called an outhouse? I'm getting more and
more confused by the minute. :-) And BTW, I've never heard an outhouse
called a 'Jake' and I grew up using them.

--
Ed Hendricks
(Maybe a 'John'???)

Old August 7th 03, 05:10 PM
Darren

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:59:28 GMT, "Ed Hendricks"
wrote:

(or is "jaxy" non-US idiom?)

You'd have to explain it to me!

Alan
'parochial reader'

Me too. "jaxy" doesn't mean anything to this dumb Yank.

Ok... for those willing to be shocked at the zany English
colloquialisms (not for the easily offended)

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/

Look for jacksie.
Most usually applied in the sense of "A kick up the jacksie"

Old August 7th 03, 05:11 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Ed Hendricks wrote:

(snip)

A good fake by a wide receiver is called an outhouse? I'm getting more and
more confused by the minute. :-) And BTW, I've never heard an outhouse
called a 'Jake' and I grew up using them.

--
Ed Hendricks
(Maybe a 'John'???)

Heard it that way my whole life, Ed! (120 miles south of Pittsburgh)

I believe there's a medieval meaning to 'jakes' as well that implied or
meant sewers or midden or oubliette or sumpthin.

Alan
'OED...whats that?'
Old August 7th 03, 05:26 PM
Ed Hendricks

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message

"Ed Hendricks" wrote in message
A good fake by a wide receiver is called an outhouse? I'm getting
more and more confused by the minute. :-) And BTW, I've never
heard an outhouse called a 'Jake' and I grew up using them.

I have heard of someone having "Jake leg".
That was when someone had too much bad moonshine and had a few
convulsions. Don't know who Jake was but don't buy any of his hooch.

Dale

Don't know about "Jake leg" but have heard the term "jack leg" all my life.
Where I'm from it denotes an amateur craftsman as compared to one who is
trained and skilled in the craft. i.e. "He is a pretty good plumber but he
is only a jack leg carpenter".

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old August 7th 03, 05:29 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

A good fake by a wide receiver is called an outhouse? I'm getting
more and more confused by the minute. :-) And BTW, I've never
heard an outhouse called a 'Jake' and I grew up using them.

I have heard of someone having "Jake leg".
That was when someone had too much bad moonshine and had a few
convulsions. Don't know who Jake was but don't buy any of his hooch.

Dale

Don't know about "Jake leg" but have heard the term "jack leg" all my life.
Where I'm from it denotes an amateur craftsman as compared to one who is
trained and skilled in the craft. i.e. "He is a pretty good plumber but he
is only a jack leg carpenter".

I've found (so far on the Web) lots of references to 'jake or jakey' as
shoddily built, and one scottish (glaswegian) as a homeless person, but
no 'ahem' waste treatment reference. Maybe it's more regional than I knew....

Alan
'whats in a word'
Old August 7th 03, 08:31 PM
tomkatf

"I will tread this unbolted villain into mortar and daub the walls of a jakes
with him!"...Shakespeare

....and I wouldn't know a thing about it except for a copy of "A Dictionary of
Slang and Unconventional English", which says:

jakes, a privy: from c.1530

a "slightly obscure" usage and probably an abbreviation of "Jack's place"...

Best,
Tom

....and isn't "A good fake by a wide receiver" actually a juke??