Walking Liberty Halves - Liberty's Left Hand

Old August 6th 03, 01:57 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Larry Louks wrote:

Jim wrote:

The newer poster is somewhere going on 60 or so, if memory serves me

right, so if he hasn't figured out how to take a little heat by now, boo
hoo, too bad, don'tcha think?

Yessir, I'll soon hit the big Six-Oh, which means that I've been around the
block a few times. As to taking the heat, shucks, no problem at all. Given
that there are multitudes of magazine articles on countless subjects that
someone has written, where that someone has been paid in full for their
services, and which are now available online in various archives at no cost,
I saw nothing amiss in asking if that was the case with the article that the
gentleman mentioned. I just happened to ask someone who did not take kindly
to my question and who doesn't want me to find the information easily.

Step back for a moment, Larry and ask yourself how hostile you'd be if
someone asked you to furnish your work product for free.

Years of education, years of experience, and someone rings you up and
tells you that he'd like to have you provide your services for free
because that would be nice.

Writers and musicians get angrier about this than you can know. The
average music fan has no idea how hurtful mp3s and Napster has been to
artist's revenue, for example. Instead, the songwriter is supposed to
be gratified that a fan wants to listen to his music for free!?!

Guitarist: "Sorry, I can't swing my car payments this month."
Bank:"Then we'll have to repossess the vehicle."
Guitarist: "But I'm famous! and thousands of people download my songs
every month!"
Bank: "Maybe you should find a paying job, instead."

Alan
'professional implies compensation'
Old August 7th 03, 01:02 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

Stujoe wrote:

In article , Alan & Erin Williams
spoke thusly...

Step back for a moment, Larry and ask yourself how hostile you'd be if
someone asked you to furnish your work product for free.

Yeah but...

I actually read Larry's post as asking High Plains to just point to a
website if he had already made it available somewhere either free or
for compensation. Didn't seem like an unusual request to me and I was
thinking about asking the same. I have seen a few places where High
Plains has his stuff online and I don't think it is pirated so I
would not have thought twice about asking but I would now. :-) I
think he has also posted some of his stuff here in days gone by.

Oh I thought Mike's reply was totally out of proportion to the question,
I just understand what he was feeling when he wrote it. ;-)

There's an old old story about a successful restaurant in China located
next to a laundry. Year after year the restaurant thrived and it's
reputation grew while the laundry was still a stick on a rock operation.
As the owner of the restaurant grew more and more prosperous, he grew
to resent the shabby little laundry next door.

Finally, one cool evening, he stood on the stoop of the restaurant and
really let the laundryman have it.

"You know what you are? You're a damned thief. Year in and Year out you
sit here in your miserable laundry next to the best restaurant in the
entire province. The best meals! The most talented cooks! Everyday you
have been smelling the delectable aroma of the finest cooking in the
Middle Kingdom and YOU NEVER PAY ME A SINGLE TIME!"

The laundryman, who saw who mighty and famous his neighbor had grown,
rose and bowed to the angry entrepeneur. "I am sorry to have offended
you" he began.

"Truly, you hav the finest restaurant in the province. But I have
stolen nothing that you were not giving away. You say I owe you
something, a payment of some kind. I agree" and he stuck his hand in
his pocket and shook it, violently.

"I pay for the smell of your cooking with the SOUND OF MY MONEY!"

Alan
'jing jing'
Old August 7th 03, 04:29 AM
Steve Joyce

Alan says:

Step back for a moment, Larry and ask yourself how hostile you'd be if
someone asked you to furnish your work product for free.
=================================

But, that's not what he asked. He asked if it was available online. To
me, he was complimenting Michael by saying he would love to read his
article. Michael could have simply siad "sorry, no, it's not available
online but you may purchase back issues for...yadda yadda yadda" .
Instead, he and numerous other here have jumped on their soap box and
basically rendered this newsgroup useless by proclaiming that it is
improper to ask questions of the more knowledgable here unless paying
for such knowledge.

I have been frequenting this newsgroup for several years now, and the
bickering and childishness by some regulars notwithstanding, I've seen a
complete decline in hepfulness except amongst a few "chosen" pets. Hey,
anyone wanna send me a mint state classic commem? No? I didn't think so.
Anyone want to answer a simple question? No, I thought not. I know, I
know, don't let the door hit me in the ass, but at some point you have
to ask what is being accomplished here? Have we developed into an online
boy's club? Where only a chosen few are taken seriously? I posted a
question recently and the thread had maybe 15 responses. One of which
was even remotely related to my question. Do we have to wonder why
contributors such as Bigg Fredd bolted?

Steve (not sure why I bothered with the above)

Old August 7th 03, 05:14 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

Steve Joyce wrote:

Alan says:

Step back for a moment, Larry and ask yourself how hostile you'd be if
someone asked you to furnish your work product for free.
=================================

But, that's not what he asked. He asked if it was available online. To
me, he was complimenting Michael by saying he would love to read his
article. Michael could have simply siad "sorry, no, it's not available
online but you may purchase back issues for...yadda yadda yadda" .
Instead, he and numerous other here have jumped on their soap box and
basically rendered this newsgroup useless by proclaiming that it is
improper to ask questions of the more knowledgable here unless paying
for such knowledge.

There's a large difference between asking 'do you know the answer to
this?' and asking an author to give you his article.

No one, that I've read, said that people should pay to have their
questions answered. If this was stated, please show me the quote, I
missed it.

I have been frequenting this newsgroup for several years now, and the
bickering and childishness by some regulars notwithstanding, I've seen a
complete decline in hepfulness except amongst a few "chosen" pets. Hey,
anyone wanna send me a mint state classic commem? No? I didn't think so.
Anyone want to answer a simple question? No, I thought not. I know, I
know, don't let the door hit me in the ass, but at some point you have
to ask what is being accomplished here? Have we developed into an online
boy's club? Where only a chosen few are taken seriously? I posted a
question recently and the thread had maybe 15 responses. One of which
was even remotely related to my question.

Silence could mean that no one knew the answer. I sure hope you don't
think our swaps have been unhelpful. Then again, maybe there's a run on
'Having a Bad Day' around here...

Alan
'having a pretty good one'