ERRORS & MISC

Old August 7th 03, 03:04 PM
Linda

Default ERRORS & MISC

MORGAN
I am hopeful I got a good buy on ebay of what looks to be an overdate on a
1928-S over 1923. I have tried umpteen times to scan it but the details
won't show. The 8 is distinctly layered, something like doubling, but it
also has a 3 shape to it. When I bought it, I was suspicious that either
the guy didn't know what he was talking about or that it would be some sort
of earlier counterfeiter's effort (since the 1928 is worth a lot more than
the 1923), but now that I see it in real, dang if it doesn't look exactly
like a 1928 punched over a 3, or else a doubled 8. Now if it is a doubled
8, how can I distinguish this from "machine doubling?" I am planning to
send it to Conseca for an opinion, but thought I'd see what anybody knows
about this so I can decide whether or not to be excited about it yet or not.

WHEATS
We keep finding a lot of filled D cents. How significant of an error is
this (or is it)? I just ordered the Cherry Picker's guide (new one) and
haven't seen it, yet, and don't have an older one.

LINCOLNS:
Half-blind, stiff-backed from looking at pennies, my BF is still at it.
Thanks-ever-so-much(harumph) to whoever suggested getting bank pennies,
because he's been doing that for two days. He found several dimes, 3
wheats, and several errors first shot at it and, oh-help-me, he is still
into pennies. One interesting one he found is an vf12+ 1989 lincoln with
what I can only describe as a "ridge" looking thing that runs along the
outter edge, inside the rim, from just below Liberty, up to about 11:00, in
an arc. It is the same shape as if it were repunched off center, and
basically, this area is recessed much more than the rest of the coin,
creating the "ridge" effect, but the coin isn't off-center at all and shows
no signs of any doubling or anything, and it isn't from damage because it is
the same metal and luster as the rest of the coin, so I am totally clueless
what did this. I may be able to scan this one, but the scanner program
keeps crashing so I have to reinstall it and see if that fixes it, first.

Old August 7th 03, 04:46 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Linda wrote:

MORGAN
I am hopeful I got a good buy on ebay of what looks to be an overdate on a
1928-S over 1923. I have tried umpteen times to scan it but the details
won't show. The 8 is distinctly layered, something like doubling, but it
also has a 3 shape to it. When I bought it, I was suspicious that either
the guy didn't know what he was talking about or that it would be some sort
of earlier counterfeiter's effort (since the 1928 is worth a lot more than
the 1923), but now that I see it in real, dang if it doesn't look exactly
like a 1928 punched over a 3, or else a doubled 8. Now if it is a doubled
8, how can I distinguish this from "machine doubling?" I am planning to
send it to Conseca for an opinion, but thought I'd see what anybody knows
about this so I can decide whether or not to be excited about it yet or not.

Sure you're not talking about a Peace Dollar, Linda?

WHEATS
We keep finding a lot of filled D cents. How significant of an error is
this (or is it)? I just ordered the Cherry Picker's guide (new one) and
haven't seen it, yet, and don't have an older one.

My understanding is 'not very'.

[...]

It's called a 'pressure ridge', and you can Google up a discussion of
these by searching that phrase. Look for Alan Herbert and Mike Diamond
in the thread.

Alan
'never tires of cents'
Old August 7th 03, 07:43 PM
Linda

[...]

Having no luck with the Google search. I turned up an article by Alan
Herbert but it didn't have anything about pressure ridges or an error on the
page that looks like what this is.

Old August 7th 03, 08:53 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Linda wrote:

(snip)

It's called a 'pressure ridge', and you can Google up a discussion of
these by searching that phrase. Look for Alan Herbert and Mike Diamond
in the thread.

Alan
'never tires of cents'

Having no luck with the Google search. I turned up an article by Alan
Herbert but it didn't have anything about pressure ridges or an error on the
page that looks like what this is.

Sounds like you searched the web instead of USENET.

From the Google webpage, click 'groups' then 'advanced group search' and
enter rec.collecting.coins as the group, "pressure ridge" as the phrase,

HTH
Alan
'what the hell was fidonet?'