My Chiller/Fangoria Experience - Part 2

Old January 13th 04, 11:52 PM
Michael

Default My Chiller/Fangoria Experience - Part 2

Though I would break this up a bit...

Only problem with going on Sunday is a few guests had already left after
Saturday..No Hellboy cast (Ron Perlman and Selma Blair)..No Dawn of the
Dead cast (I heard Ving Rhaymes never showed and I dont even know if the
others did)..

Now, my Friday the 13th reunion stories (according to movies):

Part 1 - Adrienne King..super nice and friendly..still looks about the
same..signed my DVD cover $10

Part 1 - Betsy Palmer..super nice and friendly..pretty old but looked
great.. signed my DVD cover $10

Part 1 - Ari Lehman - was Jason as the boy coming out of the lake..he
has long curly hair and a goatee, real nice guy.. signed my DVD cover
and 2 hockey masks FREE..I bought a real nice signed photo for $10

Part 2 - Amy Steele..went home..damn! Warrington Gillette (Jason) never
seemed to be in the room when I was so I missed him (ticked me off..lol)

Part 3 - Larry Zerner..played Shelley, the fat chubby pain in the ass
kid..looked completely different now, he is a lawyer.. signed my DVD
cover and his own photo, FREE

Part 6 - CJ Graham - played Jason.. real nice guy also..signed my DVD
cover and 2 hockey masks FREE..

(NOTE: I now have 2 hockey masks signed by the above 2 and Kane Hodder..
that makes 3 Jasons..now you see why I was ticked to miss Jason part 2)

Part 7 - Lar Park Lincoln - lead girl with telekinetic powers..she was
so beautiful and so friendly..signed my DVD cover FREE..after I got a
pic taken with her, she wanted to take another pic with my 2 buddies and
her..what a flirt!..she was so nice I had to buy a cool color photo for
$15

Kane Hodder - Jason in parts 7, 8, 9, 10.. one of the coolest guests you
could meet.. very friendly, takes great pics with you, all around great
guy..signed 3 DVD covers (7, 8, and 9) and 3 photos..one photo was a
Jason Goes To Hell poster I printed off a computer..other photo was the
one I bought off of Lar Park Lincoln..other photo was:

a photo I bought off dealer at show.. great shot of Jason attacking Lar
Park Lincoln.. Lar Park signed it for free, Kane only charges $5 for
your own item..Both he and Lar Park love this photo and he said there
are very few of these photos around that are signed by the both of them

Part 8 - John D. LeMay - one of the lead characters..signed my Jason
Goes to Hell DVD and photo FREE

To be continued.....

Old January 14th 04, 01:18 AM
Tommy \2Lipz\

Sounds like you had a better time than I did. Sunday shows are less
expensive, less crowded, but some of the celebs don't stay for that 2nd day
either. I asked about Ving on Saturday and staff was clueless as to whether
her was there or coming.

You got good deals on the sig prices. I'd like hear from someone that got
them on Saturday to know if the prices were discounted on Sunday.

Blair was scheduled for Saturday only. I had a feeling the others wouldn't
stay the extra day either. Glad I went on Saturday as Blair and Perlman were
the 2 I really wanted. All the others are on the circuit all the time.

Excellent recount.

--
Tommy "2Lipz"
See my website http://lipprint.tripod.com

Old January 16th 04, 04:27 PM
Chris Polubinski

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:18:11 GMT, "Tommy \"2Lipz\""
wrote:

Sounds like you had a better time than I did. Sunday shows are less
expensive, less crowded, but some of the celebs don't stay for that 2nd day
either. I asked about Ving on Saturday and staff was clueless as to whether
her was there or coming.

You got good deals on the sig prices. I'd like hear from someone that got
them on Saturday to know if the prices were discounted on Sunday.

Blair was scheduled for Saturday only. I had a feeling the others wouldn't
stay the extra day either. Glad I went on Saturday as Blair and Perlman were
the 2 I really wanted. All the others are on the circuit all the time.

Excellent recount.

I've been to several Chiller shows in the past. This was my first
time at a Fangoria show (which was being run by Chiller). In 10+
years of con-going, this was the single-worst run convention I have
ever been to.

Here's a report I posted over at the Star Archive forums:

" And don't worry too much about the Fangoria show. Chiller really
screwed the pooch on this one. Problems they've had in the past that
haven't been that noticable because of the size of the show were
amplified tenfold with this smaller show. My deepest hope is that this
will cause them to take a long, hard look at how they're doing things
and make some much-needed adjustments.

Some recommendations (which will give you an idea of what people went
through):

1 - First and foremost, there NEEDS to be more than one person that
knows what's going on. Except for the head of security, no one at the
show had any idea where certain signings were being held.

The head of security was running around, playing up how stressed he
was because he was the only one who knew what was going on when the
truth was that had he taken 5 to 10 minutes at the beginning of the
day to let everyone else in on the story, he wouldn't have been half
as stressed and the attendees would've been much more well-informed.

From the situation, I can only gather that he's the type who gets off
on having power and responsibility, even if they're only derived from
an informational bottleneck.

2 - They need to invest $50 in a dry erase board, some markers and an
easel. Then they can post the show's cancellations right out front so
people don't get roped into buying a ticket in the hopes of seeing
someone who isn't even going to be there.

I've been to several of their shows, each with various cancellations.
Usually, the sheer number of guests is enough to offset one or three
cancellations. This time out, Ving Rhames, arguably the number two
draw of the show cancelled and there were people who were only finding
out about it four hours after the show started.

3 - If someone is only signing for a limited amount of time, will only
sign certain items or has other restrictions, they need to be made
public before the show starts.

After a line of 100 people had formed for Ron Perlman and the Hellboy
cast, it was announced that A) they will only sign one per person, B)
they will only sign the free promo Hellboy poster and C) they will
only sign for the first 200 people.

I heard the word "refund" uttered from more than one mouth while
standing in that line. "

And then I posted this follow-up a bit later:

" This is a list of people I did not see at the show who were
scheduled to be there. But let me preface this by saying that the show
ran from Friday night to Sunday night. I was there from 11 AM Saturday
(when the show opened on Saturday) until 4:30PM Saturday (2 1/2 hours
before it closed for Saturday). Bear in mind that it's possible that
some of these people showed up really late in the day Saturday or only
on Sunday.

Ving Rhames - He outright cancelled. Not that it mattered much if you
were coming down to see him since the Dawn of the Dead remake cast
(who Ving was to be signing with) only signed for about 20 minutes to
a half hour before leaving.

Guillermo Del Toro - Another cancellation, but to Chiller's credit,
this was at least advertised on their website.

Adrienne King

John D. LeMay

Warrington Gillette

I could add other names to the list, but I want to be as fair as I
can. Any other names I add would be people I wasn't specifically
looking for, so I may have just missed them somewhere. However, I did
hear many people wondering where certain people were and I was in
every room that had signers. My suspicion is that there were more
no-shows than what I've listed.

Also, there were the people who only signed for sort periods of time.
The aforementioned Dawn of the Dead remake cast, the Hellboy folks and
Joe Bob Briggs were all limited. I missed out on Joe Bob because I had
already staked a claim in line for the Hellboy people. By the time I
got downstairs, he had already come and gone.

And speaking of Joe Bob, let me tell you about the experience of
gettting into the room where he had been signing. It was a room with
two doors, one for entering and one for leaving with a security person
at each door to ensure the correct flow through each. The problem came
once you got through the line to get into the room.

Once inside, chaos reigned. The room was ringed with tables and was
packed with people. Moving around was nearly impossible and no one
could identify who they were standing in line for because any line
that tried to form inevitably ran into another line. Imagine a room
where you're shoulder-to-shoulder with people, all trying to head in
different directions.

These are all problems that could have been solved very simply with
some of the things I mentioned previously. They put on enough shows
that they should know how to handle this kind of thing by now, so it's
really inexcusable. "
--
http://www.DragonGraphs.com
Old January 16th 04, 09:45 PM
Michael

Man, you need to relax and have a good time..Quit analyzing the
show..Enjoy the guests that were there..

Granted, it wasnt as smooth as Chiller, but it wasnt nearly as bad as
you are making it out to be..Sure some guests werent there, but there
were plenty of other great friendly guests..And most signed your stuff
for FREE!

And yes, most of the "guards" watching the doors didnt know squat about
what was going on, but I have been to 13 straight Chillers and know
enough to figure out where to look for people.. If this was a first time
convention for someone, I could see their disappointment and
frustration..

Ben Chapman (Creature From the Black Lagoon) who lives in Hawaii comes
to Chiller every year. He told me this is by far his favorite and most
organized convention he attends..

Fangoria can only get better..

My thoughts.....

Old January 22nd 04, 05:34 AM
LANDOCOLT45

Thanks for the recap. I'm glad I didn't waste my time as I was
convinced if it say Fangoria on the marquee, it will be crap. I knew
even with Creation being gone, it would be lackluster. I made a bet
with some friends that a big name will not show up at the show as this
is typical Fango fashion. I was right. The only horror show that gets
my money is a real Chiller show.
No one mentioned anything about the dealers tables. Were they pretty
the same as Chiller vendors?
Old January 22nd 04, 09:21 PM
Larry H.

Wow and to think these "so-called" celebs are all losers and super
nobodys! Can't believe anyone would actually pay money for this ****!

wrote:

[...]

From the situation, I can only gather that he's the type who gets off