Quick question about storing cards in Lucite screw downs and sleeves

Old January 14th 05, 10:54 AM
Martin

Default Quick question about storing cards in Lucite screw downs and sleeves

Hi,

When using those 1 inch thick lucite screw downs, should you put the
card in bare, or put the card in a sleeve first? I've seen it done
both ways. I guess the sleeve would protect the card surface, but I
get concerned when I see the corner of the sleeve bunch up around the
card's corners. I don't know if the sleeve does damage to the card -
probably not, but it looks ackward. I just put my favorite card in a
sleeve and stored in a lucite holder. I'm just wondering if this is a
good idea.

Is storing cards within a sleeve a good way to keep the cards safe? Do
the sleeves pinch the corners in general - that's my big concern.
Thanks,

Martin

Old January 14th 05, 04:45 PM
Patrick W. Schubert Sr.

Screwdowns without a recess are very capable of damaging your cards corners.
As far as the huge screwdowns, they dont come with recesses. How do you get
around that? Create an insert for the screwdown. Take cardboard as thick
as your card & cut a 2 1/2 X 3 1/2 hole in it , the insert will take the
beating and your card should stay safe. If you want to sleeve the card
first, just enlarge the cut out to allow for the sleeve.

Hope this helps you

Patrick

oups.com...

Old January 14th 05, 06:08 PM
John Wade

Martin wrote, in part:

Is storing cards within a sleeve a good way to keep the cards safe? Do
the sleeves pinch the corners in general - that's my big concern.
Thanks,

Hello Martin!!

I can't add anything to the excellent advice Patrick
gave about the screw down holders, and I do think
the top loader sleeves are good protection for your
cards, but there is an minor issue with them too.

All top loading sleeves, whether the hard plastic or
the softer ones can present a problem to the leading
corner as you insert the card. If you aren't careful,
that corner can get frayed by catching on the edge
of the sleeve going in.

But, if you are careful putting a card into a top
for your cards.
John Wade

Old January 14th 05, 07:26 PM
Patrick W. Schubert Sr.

BUT THE COLLECTOR SAFE SLEEVES, THEY R A BIT LAGER N ALLOW FOR INSERTING
WITHOUT DAMAGES !

------------
Hello Martin!!

I can't add anything to the excellent advice Patrick
gave about the screw down holders, and I do think
the top loader sleeves are good protection for your
cards, but there is an minor issue with them too.

All top loading sleeves, whether the hard plastic or
the softer ones can present a problem to the leading
corner as you insert the card. If you aren't careful,
that corner can get frayed by catching on the edge
of the sleeve going in.

But, if you are careful putting a card into a top
for your cards.

John Wade