Free Listings - Same Results

Old December 27th 03, 05:11 PM

Default Free Listings - Same Results

Player collectors rejoice! Your favorite players have gazillions of
cards up for bids on eBay. Only problem is that half the cards have an
opening bid of 5X Beckett with $2.50-$4.00 for shipping. OK, so
everybody's not out to gouge someone. But there sure are a whole bunch
of scumbags looking to screw you on a deal.
Old December 27th 03, 09:55 PM
SBS by CL

Player collectors rejoice! Your favorite players have gazillions of
cards up for bids on eBay. Only problem is that half the cards have an
opening bid of 5X Beckett with $2.50-$4.00 for shipping. OK, so
everybody's not out to gouge someone. But there sure are a whole bunch
of scumbags looking to screw you on a deal.

I'm sorry, I just don't see it...not in an auction format. If a buyer sees the
opening bid, makes the choice to place that bid...how is that buyer getting
screwed? Just because a seller values his cards at more then the "Book Value",
does that mean he is screwing people? Just in case you didn't know...it is OK
to just say NO and not place a bid....

Some of you really take the cake....you want it both ways....most collectors
will say that the Beckett magazine sucks, yet they want to quote it like the
freakin' BIBLE when it helps them attempt to make a point that is in their
favor.

You need to call the cops so that they can take care of that eBay seller
holding the gun to your head.....
Old December 28th 03, 03:56 AM
Paul Jensen

"SBS by CL" wrote in message
[...]

The old auctioneers saying.....Know what you're bidding on and bid on what
you know.

Old December 28th 03, 07:30 PM

(SBS by CL) wrote in message ...
[...]

It was a combination "bitch & complain" and "man, are they idiots"
post.

I'm bitching about the people trying to get way more than something's
regular going rate just because they had the opprotunity to post it
for free. They never do post the same cards at the same price on eBay
when they have to pay for the listing because they know damn well it
probably won't sell due to the high asking price & they don't want to
get stuck with the listing fees.

And I'm saying they're idiots because if they would have posted the
cards at a fair price, they would have sold a heck of a lot of them.
Free listing day gives sellers the chance to sell cards that are a
high risk for a no sale. But instead of selling that Paini Sticker of
a minor star (or whatever it may be) for $0.25 + reasonable shipping
they try to sell it for $1.95 + $2.50 shipping. You can say "well they
can ask what they want for it - it's their card" all you want. I'm
saying they're scumbags for trying to gouge the collector.
Old December 31st 03, 05:18 PM
qmayer

I'm bitching about the people trying to get way more than something's
regular going rate just because they had the opprotunity to post it
for free. They never do post the same cards at the same price on eBay
when they have to pay for the listing because they know damn well it
probably won't sell due to the high asking price & they don't want to
get stuck with the listing fees.

Thanks Captian Obvious. That seems to be eBay's reasoning for the FLD
in the first place--have people put up all their junk that normally
wouldn't sell in hopes it will sell. $$$ from commissions for eBay.

And I'm saying they're idiots because if they would have posted the
cards at a fair price, they would have sold a heck of a lot of them.
Free listing day gives sellers the chance to sell cards that are a
high risk for a no sale. But instead of selling that Paini Sticker of
a minor star (or whatever it may be) for $0.25 + reasonable shipping
they try to sell it for $1.95 + $2.50 shipping. You can say "well they
can ask what they want for it - it's their card" all you want. I'm
saying they're scumbags for trying to gouge the collector.

---------

I see what you're saying, but disagree with your "scumbag" comment.
Free listing day allows them to list their cards with an inflated
price tag just in case someone is willing to bite. Maybe they don't
want to get rid of the card and the only way they will is to sell it
for slightly higher than "book value". Maybe they sunk in a lot of $
to the card and need to turn it over. Its not gouging the collector.
Gouging the collector would be to not specify a shipping charge then
when the auction is over, charge $6 for one card. The bidder has the
responsibility to know what they are getting in to. The FLD allows
them to be more risky. So I will say "well they can ask what they
want for it - it's their card". And I will also say as a few of the
other people have said "the bidder/collector should know what they're
bidding on." It does not make the seller a "scumbag" if they bidder
does not know what they're doing.