In person show report Moundsview MN

Old November 9th 03, 10:57 AM
MikeCouil

Default In person show report Moundsview MN

I did my first show in over 5 years yesterday. Threw everything together at the
very last minute and I'm sure I lost some sales because of it. Some of the
more picky people didn't like the clutter and passed me up without even
looking, despite the fact that I know for a fact at least one of them would
have bought from me (lady was a Twins super collector and I had a Denard Spahn
Bowman XFractor rookie #/d to 150)

I did fairly well considering the circumstances. My table was a mess, no
prices on almost anything, a seller who had to constantly refer to the beckett
because he didnt' know what to sell stuff for off hand, dust covering some of
the boxes and cards, and weak foot traffic. I drove 2 hours to do the show and
didn't even know if i was going to do it until the last second. I bought some
index cards and scotch tape and just started writing little stupid signs all
over.

Surprises I saw:

Marion Gaborik certified auto in MINNESOTA selling for 14.00 and nobody bought
it (another table)
Chuck Foreman certified auto in Minnesota selling for 10.00 went unsold
(unother table)
My topps t206 Mauer auto, despite a LOT of looks, unsold for 25.00, BV 40.
Took almost half the show to sell the Dontrelle Willis bowman chrome refractor
RC for 35.00.

LOTS of junk sold that I wasn't even going to take. I mean absolute CRAP, like
a 1990 Topps Traded baseball set that a person specifically asked for and
offered 5.00 to me for. Nsync Bobble heads. Little no name tin baseball card
sets. Isiah Rider auto'd 8x10. I'd say 25 percent of my sales came from stuff
I wouldn't have even brought if it wasn't all packed up in the garage already.

Got LOTS of sales in my bargain bins, but that was expected because I was
giving away a lot of stuff. There was stuff that was in there that I honestly
didn't even realize, like a 87-88 Fleer MINT condition Kareem Abdul Jabaar in
mint condition in my .50 box and a #'d to 50 Damon Stoudamire FLeer metal
rookie in the .25 box. It was cool because it was a die hard basketball guy
who found them.

Other stuff I expected to be gone within minutes stayed there hours, if it sold
at all. My Chris Claiborne and D'wayne bates auto rookies that I was selling
for only 5.00 IN minnesota lasted until I got a Vikings die hard, who also
bought my Press Pass Michael Bennett auto #'d to 250. Most of my culpepper and
moss rookies that I was blowing out at 1.00 each (high brands) didn't move.

I gave away an eddie george game used team threads card to a kid for a buck
because that's all his dad had given him and the kid must have walked the show
for over an hour before finally spending it.

I expected to only do the show saturday but it's 5:00 a.m right now and I'm
stuck in Minneapolis because my 85 Ford F=150 decided to go to crap. I think
it's the radiator but since no shop will be open until Monday I'm going to go
ahead and do the show again tommorrow, probably ****ing off the dealers sitting
next to me since I undercut them all day long. My biggest customers were the
dealers on either side of me.

Dan, you gonna come and see me?

Mike