PSA vs BGS

Old August 1st 03, 07:01 PM
BlackJet76

Default PSA vs BGS

There's so little difference between
an 8 and a 10, it's a gamble to send them in, I think. There's a good chance
that the value of the cards you get back graded won't be enough to cover the
cost of having them graded. BRBR

That's probably true of most cards 1980 and after, but if you've got a card of
a Hall of Famer from the 50's or 60's that you think might be even a 7 or
better by all means you should send it in.

As for your other question. BGS brings back more on the secondary market but
that's mostly because they have higher standards, not to be confused with BCCG
or BVG. Compare the price of a PSA 10 and a BGS 10 of the same card and you'll
see what I mean. There are people who will tell you that PSA is best for
vintage but I have no experience there
Old August 2nd 03, 01:04 AM
john sad

(BlackJet76) wrote in message ...
There's so little difference between
an 8 and a 10, it's a gamble to send them in, I think. There's a good chance
that the value of the cards you get back graded won't be enough to cover the
cost of having them graded. BRBR

That's probably true of most cards 1980 and after, but if you've got a card of
a Hall of Famer from the 50's or 60's that you think might be even a 7 or
better by all means you should send it in.

As for your other question. BGS brings back more on the secondary market but
that's mostly because they have higher standards, not to be confused with BCCG
or BVG. Compare the price of a PSA 10 and a BGS 10 of the same card and you'll
see what I mean. There are people who will tell you that PSA is best for
vintage but I have no experience there

i checked some more and it seems a BGS mint with subgrades of all 9
would also be a mint on PSA so you would have won with beckett because
they sell a little higher with the same grade but a BGS mint with all
subgrades 9 except one (and possible 2) 9.5 subgrades would still be a
BGS mint but could be a PSA gem mint so you would have lost with
beckett. It seems with beckett it comes down to is the risk of a lower
grade worth the possible payoff if you get the same grade. In the end
it probably doesnt matter if you sell over 100 cards because you would
have lost on some but won on others so in the end you would probably
break even and get the same amount of money by selling them all PSA as
you would with all BGS.
Old August 8th 03, 04:09 PM
G.Ayala

Well...PSA vs BGS....Hmmm....that's a good one.

First, as yourself this...why do I want them graded? Is it for resale
purposes? I ask this because BGS does carry a higher premium. WHY? Cause
it is hard as HECK to get a BGS 9.5 card, that's why! I've come across
quite a few PSA 10's that would easily come back as BGS 8.5's or BGS 9's.

However, along with the higher premium, comes greater risk. Chances are,
your card won't come back a BGS 9.5.

SO....if you're wanting to make a few $$$ by reselling your cards after they
have been graded...I would probably send them to PSA, sinces you have better
chances of getting one back as a PSA 10 then you will a BGS 9.5

-G

"john sad" wrote in message
m...
which one would you recomend is better, PSA grading or Beckett? does
it really matter? On ebay there are a couple of mint BGS that are
going for a little more than the same card with a PSA mint. But i
heard its a little harder to get a BGS mint than a PSA mint. I've been
collecting for a while but am only now starting to get cards graded.
Any suggestions?

Old August 12th 03, 04:08 AM
BlackJet76

Most of the time BGS 9.5 also sells more than a PSA 10