I think Beckett creates a false market

Old July 18th 03, 07:23 AM
BlackJet76

Default I think Beckett creates a false market

Case in point. 2002 Topps Heritage Laynce Nix was a $10 card. Then Beckett does
an brief write up on him and puts the cart on its hot list. Suddenly the card
is $30+
Old July 18th 03, 07:46 AM
Anthony Myers 22

I think fire is hot.

I'm also pretty sure water is wet.

Old July 18th 03, 05:06 PM
BlackJet76

I think fire is hot.

I'm also pretty sure water is wet. BRBR

Don't ruin this place with your antics again
Old July 18th 03, 06:55 PM
Anthony Myers 22

I'm also pretty sure water is wet.

Don't ruin this place with your antics again

Sure thing Nancy, so how goes the beanie baby collection?
Old July 19th 03, 01:24 AM
Brad Marek

The Laynce Nix Heritage had been selling for over Beckett Hi value since
last Fall when Nix was playing well in the Arizona Fall League. During Nix's
hot streak in May and early June, the card routinely sold for $25-$35 on
ebay. A couple even closed over $40. He then went into a terrible month long
slump and his cards dropped back down. The mention in Beckett, as well as
his callup to the Rangers, has made the card jump again.

Old July 28th 03, 03:07 AM
john sad

(jpeabody) wrote in message . com...
(BlackJet76) wrote in message ...
Case in point. 2002 Topps Heritage Laynce Nix was a $10 card. Then Beckett does
an brief write up on him and puts the cart on its hot list. Suddenly the card
is $30+

If the cards really are selling well, and they are, then it's not a
false market. False would be most of the other prices in Beckett.
Self-fulfilling, maybe, but not false.

But I recommended him over a year ago in this NG, so you could've
gotten a stack of them and been sitting pretty now like me. His
performance was indicative of a future star, so his cards would go up
regardless. The fact that he was singled out in Beckett certainly
helped, though.

Prices in beckett usually dont matter at all. If you look at selling
prices on ebay nothing sells for beckett high price. A lot of stuff
sells below low price. An example is chrome mcgrady RC. High 60 low 25
but if you look at recent winning bids they are going for 16. The card
isnt worth 60 its worth 16 because thats what you would get when you
try to sell it. The card is only worth as much as you can get for it.
Recently my uncle needed money so he looked at a beckett at the store
to see what his early seventies baseball cards were worth. The 72
clemente was 75-125HI but after he listed it 3 times he finally sold
it for 18 and it was in NM condition.
Same with my fried he probably spent 4000 on cards over the last 10
years to get a collection in beckett Hi of 50000 but the high bid on
his entire collection was 3200 which is typical if you look at other
lots of that value. Also looking at 10 year old becketts card that
booked for $10 in 1993 still are $10 now. You actually lost money by
hanging on to it because if you sold for $10 in 1993 and bought say
$10 of food and tried to buy the exact same food today it would cost
you more than $10.