Reel to reel problems

Old September 17th 06, 11:15 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Rusty

Default Reel to reel problems

I bought my first reel to reel recorder at a swapmeet yesterday for $4.
It is a Sony tc-530.the tape plays way to fast. Is this a capstan
problem? The vu meters are stuck. Is there any way to correct this? The
rewind does not function at all. I'm guessing this is a belt problem.

Rusty

Old September 17th 06, 11:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Rusty

I forgot to mention that it did not come with a take up reel. does
anybody have any extras they could sell me? thanks

Old September 18th 06, 03:53 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 17 Sep 2006 15:15:11 -0700, "Rusty"
wrote:

I bought my first reel to reel recorder at a swapmeet yesterday for $4.
It is a Sony tc-530.the tape plays way to fast. Is this a capstan
problem? The vu meters are stuck. Is there any way to correct this? The
rewind does not function at all. I'm guessing this is a belt problem.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. snip

You have:

1.) A really bad tape deck overall. Sonys of this era sucked badly.

2.) If tape speed is much too fast, check to see if the pinch roller
is actually gripping the backing of the tape, or if it's simply
gliding through. The pinch roller may be hardened, or the pressure
spring is broken or missing.

3.) VU meters are pegged? Are they pegged only when the machine has
power applied, or physically stuck? Capacitor failures in these Sonys
would often lead to pegged VU meters when power is applied.

4.) You could have a broken rewind drive belt OR the clutch hub isn't
making contact.

This machine is NOT worth putting any serious money into it. It
probably uses the same notoriously soft heads as the TC-630, another
"portable" 4 track RTR from the same era that was equally troublesome.
Old September 19th 06, 05:01 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Rusty

the meter is physically stuck with or without power.

Rusty

Old September 19th 06, 05:11 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
[email protected]

thanks

regards
a href=http://unificationwarss.0catch.comonline games/a
a href=http://www.megspace.com/computers/wars/free/a
a href=http://unificationwars.esmartdesign.com/online games/a

Old September 19th 06, 06:30 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 18 Sep 2006 21:01:28 -0700, "Rusty"
wrote:

the meter is physically stuck with or without power. snip

The D'Arsonval movement is just stuck, then, especially if it's only
one meter. You could remove the meter, take a toothpick and gently
UNstick it. Usually that's a pretty fair indication that someone
really banged that meter up against the stop somewhere in its life.
Better movements have rebound springs or stops to prevent such
jamming.
Old September 19th 06, 04:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 04:25:01 -0400, Scott Irvine

thanks

regards
a href=http://unificationwarss.0catch.comonline games/a
a href=http://www.megspace.com/computers/wars/free/a
a href=http://unificationwars.esmartdesign.com/online games/a

What the hell is this? snip

I have NO clue, but I think some schizophrenic was trying a spam run.