National telemarketing Do Not Call list goes on-line today

Old July 1st 03, 04:18 AM
George D

Default National telemarketing Do Not Call list goes on-line today

"Fred A. Murphy" wrote:

On 29-Jun-2003, George D wrote:

I don't need the Feds spending more of my money, to protect me from
something I can take care of myself.

Using that line of reasoning, I'd like the see them remove all seat belt
laws, brain buckets for motorcyclists,

Yes I think these laws should be removed.

dead-man's devices on lawnmowers and
all the other crap they have shoved down our throats for our own protection.

Should be voluntary items with the manufacturer.

I *can* take care of this myself. That's not the point. I don't see why I
should have to waste my time and interrupt what I'm doing to be able to
enjoy the use of my phone line in the privacy of my home or business.

There are other ways besides costing taxpayers money to accomplish the same thing.

It's much the same as saying I can go out and tell each person who parks
their truck in my front yard that they'll have to move it, versus posting a
sign and just calling the tow truck if they ignore it.

Nobody parks in my front yard or in front of my house on the streets so I can't comment

--

The TV business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway
where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

AAA, AARP, ANA, NRA, RCC ?+1, PIA, PIAAZ, GATF 85006-3032-18-4

The reward for a good deed is to have done it.

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.
Old July 1st 03, 02:45 PM
Chrysta Wilson

In article , says...
In article
(Chris1) writes:
In article ,
wrote:
But if you're at all like me, only one of every three calls I get has a
person (telemarketer or otherwise) on the other end. The other two are
dead-air telemarketer computer-generated dialup rejects that wake me up
from a nap, bring me in from the yard with muddy feet, or catch me in
the middle of something personal.

You need to stop anwswering the phone so readily. I would never stop
anything I'm doing just to answer the phone. Just let 'em leave a message.

If everybody is going to reason like that the number of telephone
conversations will drop enormously.

Some people don't really think that's a bad thing. The only thing I think
is more absurd than interrupting my dinner to answer the phone, or
anything else I am doing at home for that matter when the machine can
pick it up is the people who have electronic leashes...cell phones they
insist on answering while at a restaurant, at the beach, at the movies,
you name it. If I had kids it would be different. If my parents were of
an age where I had to worry excessively about their health and well-
being, it would be different. Since I am in neither of these situations,
anyone calling me can wait 15 minutes for me to finish eating dinner
before I call them back.
--
~~~Chrysta~~~

ANA#R-206318

My Collection:
http://www.geocities.com/chrystawilson/index.html

The Truth About Eric Tillery:
http://www.geocities.com/chrystawilson/aboutk6az.html
Old July 1st 03, 03:36 PM
Dik T. Winter

In article Chrysta Wilson writes:
If everybody is going to reason like that the number of telephone
conversations will drop enormously.

Some people don't really think that's a bad thing. The only thing I think
is more absurd than interrupting my dinner to answer the phone, or
anything else I am doing at home for that matter when the machine can
pick it up is the people who have electronic leashes...cell phones they
insist on answering while at a restaurant, at the beach, at the movies,
you name it.

Indeed.

If I had kids it would be different. If my parents were of
an age where I had to worry excessively about their health and well-
being, it would be different.

Me not. I have two kids and there is a parent on both sides of high age
(one is 92, the other 87), but I refuse to take a cell phone. If I am in
a restaurant I simply can not be reached (or anywhere else outside).
Old July 1st 03, 07:54 PM
Dr. Richard L. Hall

"Anthony Carlisle" wrote in message

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/donotcall/

The National DO NOT CALL list goes into effect today. You can register
through the site. Naturally, it's rather busy today, so expect delays
and timeouts.

From the ftc website http://www.ftc.gov/, July 1, 2003:

"Since the Do Not Call Registry was launched on Friday, June 27, consumers
have registered more than 10 million telephone numbers. "Consumer response
has been enthusiastic," commented Federal Trade Commission Chairman Timothy
J. Muris. "The highest sustained system access we've seen occurred Friday
evening between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. EDT when an average of 158 telephone
numbers were entered into the system per second.""

I think that's telling somebody something.

Old July 2nd 03, 01:18 AM
Bruce Remick

Bob Flaminio wrote:

Dr. Richard L. Hall wrote:
From the ftc website http://www.ftc.gov/, July 1, 2003:

"Since the Do Not Call Registry was launched on Friday, June 27,
consumers have registered more than 10 million telephone numbers.
"Consumer response has been enthusiastic," commented Federal Trade
Commission Chairman Timothy J. Muris. "The highest sustained system
access we've seen occurred Friday evening between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m.
EDT when an average of 158 telephone numbers were entered into the
system per second.""

I think that's telling somebody something.

I wonder when someone will devise a script to just dump people.yahoo.com
into donotcall.gov. It seems to me to be a fairly easy programming task
to get every listed number onto the Do Not Call Registry.

--

All this would be so much easier and quicker if only those who wish to
receive phone solicitations could register at CallMe.gov. The rest of

Bruce
Old July 3rd 03, 06:01 AM
Fred A. Murphy

On 1-Jul-2003, Bruce Remick wrote:

All this would be so much easier and quicker if only those who wish to
receive phone solicitations could register at CallMe.gov. The rest of
us would not be allowed to receive these calls after Oct 1.

Another suggestion I have seen to speed up the process is to upload
people.yahoo.com into the database. :^)

--

"The starting pay for a pilot at American Eagle is $16,800 a year. Never
let someone fly you up in the air who's making less than the kid at Taco