Seek images.

Old May 2nd 06, 11:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Seek images.

Would anyone have decent scans (or links) of one or both of
US 3c "Santa Maria" 1893 Columbus set
and/or the Newfoundland 10c Cabot's ship
"Mathew" 1897 please.

I have the Mathew fron the very nice Canadian Issue
(SG412 1949) and could probably scan the Canadian Catalogue
for the others but, scans from the genuine stamps would be nicer

Thanks

Old May 2nd 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Rodney wrote:
Would anyone have decent scans (or links) of one or both of
US 3c "Santa Maria" 1893 Columbus set
and/or the Newfoundland 10c Cabot's ship
"Mathew" 1897 please.

I have the Mathew fron the very nice Canadian Issue
(SG412 1949) and could probably scan the Canadian Catalogue
for the others but, scans from the genuine stamps would be nicer

Thanks

Hi Rodney.

I put up a copy of the Nfld stamp in my shoebox.

Hope it serves the purpose.

--
Tony Vella in Ottawa, Canada
Old May 2nd 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

The Cabot Tercentenary issue of 1897

1897 was the 400th. Anniversary of the discovery of Newfoundland
by John Cabot (in 1497), and the Colonial Secretary decided to
issue Newfoundland's first commemorative stamp series, in
imitation of the highly successful U.S. Columbian Exposition issue
of 1893.

A series of fourteen values, one cent to sixty cents resulted,
although a dollar value had also been proposed as well. One
stamp, the one cent, depicted Queen Victoria, in commemoration
of her Silver Jubilee.

Four stamps of the series directly commemorated John Cabot
in some way - the two cents showing Cabot, the three cents
depicting Cabot's believed landfall at Cape Bonavista, the ten
cents depicting Cabot's ship the Matthew (actually the ABNC
had used the identical vignette for the American 1893 Columbian
three cents value), and the sixty cents depicting King Henry VII,
who had granted Cabot's charter.

The 10c Matthew stamp of 1897:
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/ap/s/s001559k.jpg

The 3c Columbian stamp of 1893:
http://www.1847usa.com/identify/19th/0232.jpg

The 1947 stamp of Cabot on the Matthew:
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/ap/s/s001759k.jpg

Blair

Old May 2nd 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

addendum

Here is the 1949 Canada stamp:
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/ap/s/s000336k.jpg

Old May 3rd 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Thanks gentlemen, marvelous scans.
I am doing a piece on the evolution
of the Caravelle, I'll post the text in due course.
The scans were also prompted by Blair's "Sloane" column
of the two identical images on the two stamps.

Did you know?
I'd suggest both the Santa Maria and the Matthew were of
similar construction, depending on their individual construction dates
not, on when they were employed.
The ships company, must have had a rough old time, as sleeping arrangements
were either on deck or on the hatches, hammocks were at that time unknown
and were eventually modelled from the American Indian.

Old May 3rd 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

If one looks long enough, it eventually will appear
(The Flag/s are blowing in the wrong direction)

Old May 7th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Talking of the Santa Maria...

There is a Spanish stamp that always gives me a tickle:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bobwatson10/Santa_Maria.JPG.

I wrote a little bit about it for our club newsletter which I quote
below and would welcome any additional information.

Incidentally, the same image appears to have been used for 25¢ St Lucia
issued in Jan. 1960 which I don't have and so can't post a picture.

Quote:

This Spanish stamp (Scott# E8) caught my eye recently and could well
find a place in my “Now, hang on a minute…” collection! The point being,
of course, that most “urgente” or “express post” stamps have a design
implying speed, vigour, and determination to get the mail through just
as quickly as possible. So, I realize this is an overprint rather than a
special design, but have you ever seen a more non-urgent looking stamp
than this? Maybe its use was reserved for income tax refund cheques.

Actually the stamp was part of a rather odd series issued in 1930 to
commemorate Columbus crossing the Atlantic in 1492. According to Scott,
the series was designed and printed privately which would normally mean
they would relegated to the status of cinderellas. However, a portion of
the printing were presented to the Spanish Post Office who sold them and
allowed them to be used for postage for a period of three days. This had
the effect of converting them from “labels” to “postage stamps” and
would have significantly increased the marketability of the stocks
remaining in the hands of the promoters.

I have no knowledge as to whether the deal between Post Office and
promoter was legitimate or resulted in heads rolling, but I have never
heard of this practice being followed elsewhere and can see major
security problems with trying to be sure that money paying for stamps
used for postage went to the Post Office rather than the printers.

Old May 7th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

"Bob Watson" skrev i en meddelelse
Talking of the Santa Maria...

There is a Spanish stamp that always gives me a tickle:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bobwatson10/Santa_Maria.JPG.

I wrote a little bit about it for our club newsletter which I quote below
and would welcome any additional information.

Incidentally, the same image appears to have been used for 25¢ St Lucia
issued in Jan. 1960 which I don't have and so can't post a picture.

Bob, I don't have the 25c you mention, but if the 8c from the same set
(Scott #173) will do, here goes
http://queries.heindorffhus.dk/StLuc...-Pitons-E2.jpg

Regards
Mette

Old May 7th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Mette wrote:

Talking of the Santa Maria...

There is a Spanish stamp that always gives me a tickle:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bobwatson10/Santa_Maria.JPG.

Incidentally, the same image appears to have been used for 25¢ St Lucia
issued in Jan. 1960 which I don't have and so can't post a picture.

Bob, I don't have the 25c you mention, but if the 8c from the same set
(Scott #173) will do, here goes
http://queries.heindorffhus.dk/StLuc...-Pitons-E2.jpg

Regards
Mette

That's the one!

I see yours has a couple of peaks (the St. Lucia Pitons, I presume) in
the background. I guess they were over the horizon in the Spanish version.

All the best,
Bob
Old May 7th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

The St Lucia series was Scott 173-175 (SG 188-190).
http://www.bobmill.com/l5456.jpg

It celebrated the Constitution of 1960.

The 1960 constitution expired in 1967 when the UK
granted the island full self-government. St Lucia
became completely independent on February 22 1979.

Blair