ANA forced to move from San Jose for Summer 2005 show

Old December 15th 04, 04:16 PM

Default ANA forced to move from San Jose for Summer 2005 show

Coin World is reporting in their online edition that the ANA will have
to move their July, 2005 convention out of San Jose, CA because the
city just voted to host a Grand Prix race the same weekend. No word yet
on where they will be moving the show.
Tom DeLorey

Old December 15th 04, 04:44 PM
JHLMSS

surely there are signed contracts and such. this is going to be a major
project if it ends up being true.

http://www.michsoft.com

Joseph H. Le Blanc, CCP
Old December 15th 04, 06:13 PM
stonej

That really stinks I'd say. Finding a location
on short notice along with reserving blocks of hotel rooms and all the
other
details like finding a host club etc. might be difficult.

Big convention centers are often rented out or reserved years in
advance
for major events. Best of luck to them, they will be scrambling in
the
months ahead.

Old December 15th 04, 10:33 PM
Byron L. Reed

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:11:02 -0500, Bruce Hickmott
wrote:

Glad I haven't made any travel plans. I vote it be moved to within driving
distance of me. I'd bet they'll look for a west coast location, though.

Bruce (Cincy? Indy? Columbus?)

The Ramkota Hotel in Pierre, SD is available that weekend.

BLReed

To e-mail me, remove the obvious spam trap.
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things and Bust Coin Forum: http://www.byronreed.com
Old December 16th 04, 02:27 AM

This is pretty serious. I had expressed my concern previously to an ANA
governor.

The trouble is that the car race will be a big money, big time
attraction for most of the week. Hotels and parking will be a
nightmare. The race course is on the streets and comes within four
blocks of our convention. I fear that attendance would be cut
dramatically. I don't know about the contracts but the race is a last
minute sort of thing. Perhaps that is some sort of breech.
Michael
PS the city of San Jose has to put up $650K to race sponsors. Makes no
sense to me.

Old December 20th 04, 10:22 PM
Ken Barr

In article . com,
wrote:

Coin World is reporting in their online edition that the ANA will have
to move their July, 2005 convention out of San Jose, CA because the
city just voted to host a Grand Prix race the same weekend. No word yet
on where they will be moving the show.

The ANA press release should have hit the streets by now,
so I don't think I'm "breaking" the story ...

The ANA 2005 summer convention has been relocated to the
Moscone West convention center in San Francisco, CA.
The dates remain the same at July 27 - 31, 2005.
Additional details on official convention hotel(s),
auction venue(s), etc. are probably in the press release,
but I haven't seen it in person yet ...

The San Jose Coin Club will be discussing whether to
continue acting as host club at its regularly scheduled
Board of Directors meeting this evening. One of the
topics, should we decide to continue acting as host club,
will be the convention theme. Currently "San Jose - Capital
of Silicon Valley", this will most likely change to either
"San Jose - It's 50 Miles South Of Here" or "San Jose -
There's A Stupid Road Race There This Weekend" ...

Stay tooned ...

(oops, gotta change my .sig after this post ...)

--
Ken Barr Numismatics

P. O. Box 32541 website:
http://www.kenbarr.com
San Jose, CA 95152 (souvenir cards, MPC, Hickey Bros tokens)
408-272-3247 Next show: San Jose Coin Club show Jan 7-9, 2005
ADVANCED NOTICE: ANA World's Fair of Money, San Jose, CA 7/27-31/2005