A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Juke Boxes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Seeburg Q 160 WOn't stop scanning, stuck on scan.

Old January 19th 17, 03:59 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Jake Daniel
external usenet poster

Default Seeburg Q 160 WOn't stop scanning, stuck on scan.

This jukebox is 3 hours away from me, I'm going out on Sunday to pick it up for 200 bucks. It's in good shape. It's been in a family home since 1978, maintained by a jukebox tech whenever it had problems. Anyway the owner gave it to his bed\st friend when he retired and moved out of state. The loaded it into a truck and drove it in town from one house to another. I don't know if they secured the mechanism or not. Anyway, it was working fine before the move but now that it's in it's new location, it's stuck on scan.. Turn it on and it scans till you turn it off. He said he tried to call the jukebox tech his friend used but he's retired too and the only guy in his town that says he can work on jukeboxes told him he doesn't work on Seeburgs. I've got pics of this jukebox and I can't see too much from them but nothing looks bent/messed up. I'm ordering a manual but I'll have this jukebox here before the manual arrives. Any idea of what might have been bumped to cause this? A microswitch? Maybe a short? Anyway, let me know what you guys think.
Ads
Old January 22nd 17, 04:58 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Aug 2010

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 9:59:15 AM UTC-5, Jake Daniel wrote:
This jukebox is 3 hours away from me, I'm going out on Sunday to pick it up for 200 bucks. It's in good shape. It's been in a family home since 1978, maintained by a jukebox tech whenever it had problems. Anyway the owner gave it to his bed\st friend when he retired and moved out of state. The loaded it into a truck and drove it in town from one house to another. I don't know if they secured the mechanism or not. Anyway, it was working fine before the move but now that it's in it's new location, it's stuck on scan. Turn it on and it scans till you turn it off. He said he tried to call the jukebox tech his friend used but he's retired too and the only guy in his town that says he can work on jukeboxes told him he doesn't work on Seeburgs. I've got pics of this jukebox and I can't see too much from them but nothing looks bent/messed up. I'm ordering a manual but I'll have this jukebox here before the manual arrives. Any idea of what might have been bumped to cause this? A microswitch? Maybe a short? Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

Probably not your issue, but I had a Seeburg that kept scanning last week. Turned out there was a burnt fuse.

Old January 23rd 17, 08:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson
external usenet poster

On 2017/01/22 7:58 AM, Wayne B wrote:

This jukebox is 3 hours away from me, I'm going out on Sunday to pick it up for 200 bucks. It's in good shape. It's been in a family home since 1978, maintained by a jukebox tech whenever it had problems. Anyway the owner gave it to his bed\st friend when he retired and moved out of state. The loaded it into a truck and drove it in town from one house to another. I don't know if they secured the mechanism or not. Anyway, it was working fine before the move but now that it's in it's new location, it's stuck on scan. Turn it on and it scans till you turn it off. He said he tried to call the jukebox tech his friend used but he's retired too and the only guy in his town that says he can work on jukeboxes told him he doesn't work on Seeburgs. I've got pics of this jukebox and I can't see too much from them but nothing looks bent/messed up. I'm ordering a manual but I'll have this jukebox here before the manual arrives. Any idea of what might have been bumped to cause this? A microswitch? Maybe a short? Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

Probably not your issue, but I had a Seeburg that kept scanning last week. Turned out there was a burnt fuse.

It would help more if you said WHICH fuse you found caused the problem.
I'll assume it was on the mechanism itself, but...

John ;-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
(604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
Old January 23rd 17, 09:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Jake, the first step is to become familiar with the machine's assemblies. The unit that controls scanning are the two coils shown he

http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/Ro...html?sort=2&o=

The coil at the right pulls in briefly when a selection is made. The one at the left subtracts each time the mech scans to the right (viewed at front).. There is a set of contacts under the readout block that rides up on a ramp and closes the contacts that actuate the subtract coil.

A few words of advise; tinkering with these machines can be dangerous to both you and the machine.

I suggest obtaining a service manual whether from Victory Glass, Always Jukin or some other source.
You'll get more immediate and comprehensive responses at groups such as:

http://jukeboxaddicts.proboards.com/
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ationclub/info

If the amp and selection receiver have not been rebuilt in the last 20 years, particularly new capacitors, it isn't safe to keep trying to use it as you risk doing serious damage and ruining costly parts such as transformers.

The mechanism requires comprehensive lubrication and contact cleaning. You should asses your own skills and determine how much you want to handle vs. how much, if anything, you want to send out to others technicians.

Rob-NYC
Old January 28th 17, 02:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Aug 2010

I'm not exactly sure, it was a fuse that someone had added. It's in line between the mech and the transformer. Check all of your fuses.

Also, I just had the same problem with my G, it turned out to be a stuck scan relay.

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 2:33:42 PM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:
On 2017/01/22 7:58 AM, Wayne B wrote:

It would help more if you said WHICH fuse you found caused the problem.
I'll assume it was on the mechanism itself, but...

John ;-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
(604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."