Ancient acquisition

Old April 19th 10, 02:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default Ancient acquisition

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
On 4/16/2010 11:51 AM, Cato wrote:

Your post is filled with the "chit chat" which you have railed against.

Discussion of the weather and what you ate for breakfast is chitchat.
Discussing the internal dynamics of the online group you're participating
in isn't chitchat. Isn't that obvious? It's not talking coins but it is
talking about how to promote a well-functioning group. Such discussions
take place in every online discussion group, moderated as well as
unmoderated.

Look, you have one poster here who more than any other, by far, flames
other participants in this newsgroup. The flames are purely disruptive,
with no content behind them, just anonymous and fairly mindless venom
spewed out all over the place. This kind of behavior is one of the chief
reasons that people leave groups like this, along with excessive chitchat.

This is an unmoderated group, but moderated groups avoid these problems by
requiring that people post using their real names. Apparently some people
here know who "Scurvy Dog" is. All I'm suggesting is that when he does
leave one of his transparent attempts at disruption, people just refer to
him by his real name. I'm not saying that's guaranteed to work, but it
couldn't hurt.

Okay. I can't stand it anymore. I'll do it. I'll name him. His
real name is........

Arrrgghhhhhh.

I just LOVE those old shows.

Old April 19th 10, 03:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anka

On Apr 18, 11:18�am, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:

Enough silliness. How about some coin talk. Why not post a pic of your
latest acquisition. Please. It's so much fun.

I would, but I don't know how. snicker

~ Anka
Old April 19th 10, 03:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 4/18/2010 10:05 PM, Anka wrote:

I would, but I don't know how.snicker

You used to know how to post a pic of a coin and then link to it here. I
can see why you need that vacation! Let me express my sincere hope that
when you return this knowledge will return to you and that you can again
share with us these gems. But if you need help, don't hesitate to ask.

OK, serious now. I find the sharing of subjective evaluations of any
coin an interesting exercise, online as well as in person, if it's done
in good faith, without fawning and meaningless praise at one extreme and
without spiteful and equally meaningless criticism at the other extreme.
Every coin has positives and negatives, and seeing how coins appear to
others' eyes and help sharpen your own.

Remember Ira Stein, the coin dealer, who used to be a regular here. He
had one of the best eyes for higher-end U.S. coins I've ever seen. Just
seeing the coins he handled was an exercise in numismatic aesthetics.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old April 19th 10, 04:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
Remember Ira Stein, the coin dealer, who used to be a regular here. He
had one of the best eyes for higher-end U.S. coins I've ever seen.
Just seeing the coins he handled was an exercise in numismatic
aesthetics.

I agree completely! Owning an "Ira" coin was considered the highest
pinnacle a collector could attain, whether it was a high-end modern Lincoln
cent or an early Federal silver rarity. I'm proud to say that I have a few
of his treasures in my own collection. It's safe to say that his knowledge
of quality U.S. coinage and the market for it is the best or up among them.
I miss his "newp" announcements, but he hasn't been in the show circuit for
quite some time.

James

Old April 21st 10, 06:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jason Burke

Scurvy Dog wrote:
"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
On 4/13/2010 8:23 PM, Eric Babula wrote:

Sorry, Reid. You and I are just not in the same collecting camp. I have
exactly one ancient coin in my entire collection, and I barely know
anything about that one. And, AFAIK, I have no counterfeits. If I had
an interest in ancients and thought I could, I would certainly have
tried to meet your challenge. But, I've only really collected US coins.

Fair enough. Well, one ancient coin is better than none. g A lot of
collectors of U.S. coins choose not to go back further in time.

If I could go back in time I'd make your mother get an abortion!

This from a man whose only contribution to society has been a failed
suicide attempt that left him a vegetable!

My latest coin acquisition Mr. Jaggers Coins 16 April 11th 10 12:20 AM
Latest Acquisition RWF Books 0 March 24th 09 12:13 PM
A nice acquisition Francis A. Miniter[_2_] Books 7 March 17th 08 03:46 AM
Recent Acquisition: Bambi Francis A. Miniter Books 0 October 29th 07 01:35 AM
Seeburg 201 acquisition questions [email protected] Juke Boxes 2 August 31st 04 02:29 AM