Counterfeit US $20 bills

Old October 29th 03, 09:17 PM
Grandpa

Default Counterfeit US $20 bills

Sure would be interesting to see a display of counterfeit $20s etc. I'm
sure the feds destroy them ASAP and even though its illegal to have
one(?) it would be nifty to see some of the fakes so one might more
easily identify them from the real McCoy. IMO it'd be amusing to see
the massive amount of work involved by the counterfeiters.

Old October 29th 03, 09:30 PM
Scottishmoney

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
Sure would be interesting to see a display of counterfeit $20s etc. I'm
sure the feds destroy them ASAP and even though its illegal to have
one(?) it would be nifty to see some of the fakes so one might more
easily identify them from the real McCoy. IMO it'd be amusing to see
the massive amount of work involved by the counterfeiters.

Actually, you would be surprised. Back in 1984 I toured the FRB in San
Francisco, one of the exhibits was counterfeit currency and in fact one of
the Fed employees brought out some sample counterfeits which they retained
as teaching tools to the public that toured the bank. It was the only time
I have ever been able to examine counterfeit US currency, hold it, feel it
and look it over. I remember noticing that it was rather more oily than
real currency.

They retain them primarily for investigations, but also as teaching tools
for investigators and even occasionally the public.

Dave

---

Old October 29th 03, 09:56 PM
Fred Shecter

The TV show on the BEP (NOVA?) showed a large storage file with drawers with examples of
MANY bogus bills.

-Fred Shecter

--
""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Old October 30th 03, 12:18 AM
Brad

Sure would be interesting to see a display of counterfeit $20s etc. I'm
sure the feds destroy them ASAP and even though its illegal to have
one(?) it would be nifty to see some of the fakes so one might more
easily identify them from the real McCoy. IMO it'd be amusing to see
the massive amount of work involved by the counterfeiters.

I remember a great NOVA episode on counterfeiting from about
ten years ago. They showed an office at the Secret Service
(shh!) where IIRC they had a sample of every counterfeit ever
recovered. They use it to compare against when they find new
ones to see if it's a known counterfeit printing or not.

Brad
http://www.blarg.net/~brad/coins.htm
Old October 31st 03, 11:52 AM
note.boy

If the USA note counterfeits are similar to the ones in the UK there is
no massive work involved by the counterfeiters as a very poor fake will
pass very easily.

I of course do not possess any counterfeit notes but if I did you would
be surprised at how poor they are. :-)

One note that I don't have has a pencil line for the security strip and
it's about 1/2 an inch from the correct location for it, it was passed
to a local shop.

The level of detail in the "engraving" is low and fuzzy.

Shop staff don't scrutinise notes they just bung them in the till.
Billy

Old October 31st 03, 11:54 AM
note.boy

The bank of England, and the note issuing Scottish banks I'm sure,
catalogue the fake notes, it would be silly of them to destroy evidence
that may be required in a future prosecution. Billy

Mark wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:17:05 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote:

Sure would be interesting to see a display of counterfeit $20s etc. I'm
sure the feds destroy them ASAP and even though its illegal to have
one(?) it would be nifty to see some of the fakes so one might more
easily identify them from the real McCoy. IMO it'd be amusing to see
the massive amount of work involved by the counterfeiters.

The Secret Service keeps samples from every single batch of counterfeit bills
discovered. If only 1 bill is discovered, they keep it and file it. Years
ago I saw some show that detailed it and they have an enormous room full of
miniature file cabinets (thin slab type pull out shelves) that house all the
bills along with detailed information about them.

Old November 2nd 03, 08:52 PM
Edward McGrath

: ))

Old November 3rd 03, 06:59 PM
Coin Saver

From: Edward McGrath
: ))

You okay?
Too many beans for lunch?

8-?
Coin Saver
Old November 3rd 03, 10:06 PM
Edward McGrath

Before the counterfeit story broke on the news I was in a Shoprite store
talking with a store manager and he showed me 2 new $20 counterfeit
bills they got stuck with. The give away that they were counterfeit was
the bill did not have the shifting color ink on the bottom right. When
you tilt the $20 bill the 20 on the bottom right is supposed to change
from gold color to green it didn't. It didn't take very long for the
counterfeit $20s to pop up. The poor cashiers didn't know what to look
for since the bills are so new to them. Ed