My "Cheap Slab" Story

Old April 28th 10, 12:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

Default My "Cheap Slab" Story

I'm now the proud owner of a 1967 10 Lirot Israeli Victory
coin in an NGC MS67 slab. Woo hoo! Could it make the
condition census?

Not only did I spend the slabbing fee for a piece that's
worth little more than its bullion value of $15.20, but
I paid an NCS conservation fee as well.

Why? For the simple reason that my grandfather gave me
this coin when I was a kid. I was dumb enough to keep it
in its original packaging. This resulted in PVC contamination,
so I decided to have NCS stabilize the coin. I didn't care
about the final grade, but seeing it come back as MS-67 did
give me a bit of a pause, especially since I thought it
was the proof version.

But the next time you see something like this in a slab,
now you know why it happens.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles

Old April 28th 10, 12:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog[_3_]

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
I'm now the proud owner of a 1967 10 Lirot Israeli Victory
coin in an NGC MS67 slab. Woo hoo! Could it make the condition census?

Not only did I spend the slabbing fee for a piece that's
worth little more than its bullion value of $15.20, but
I paid an NCS conservation fee as well.

Why? For the simple reason that my grandfather gave me
this coin when I was a kid. I was dumb enough to keep it in its original
packaging. This resulted in PVC contamination,
so I decided to have NCS stabilize the coin. I didn't care about the final
grade, but seeing it come back as MS-67 did give me a bit of a pause,
especially since I thought it
was the proof version.

But the next time you see something like this in a slab,
now you know why it happens.

Because your grandfather gave them the coin?

Old April 28th 10, 07:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Gosh Darn

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:56:05 -0400, "Scurvy Dog"
wrote:

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
I'm now the proud owner of a 1967 10 Lirot Israeli Victory
coin in an NGC MS67 slab. Woo hoo! Could it make the condition census?

Not only did I spend the slabbing fee for a piece that's
worth little more than its bullion value of $15.20, but
I paid an NCS conservation fee as well.

Why? For the simple reason that my grandfather gave me
this coin when I was a kid. I was dumb enough to keep it in its original
packaging. This resulted in PVC contamination,
so I decided to have NCS stabilize the coin. I didn't care about the final
grade, but seeing it come back as MS-67 did give me a bit of a pause,
especially since I thought it
was the proof version.

But the next time you see something like this in a slab,
now you know why it happens.

Because your grandfather gave them the coin?

They had PVC when he was a kid??? :-)

Old April 28th 10, 02:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

On Apr 28, 2:22*am, Gosh Darn saywhatu@may wrote:

Why? *For the simple reason that my grandfather gave me
this coin when I was a kid. *I was dumb enough to keep it in its original
packaging. .

Because your grandfather gave them the coin?

* * * * They had PVC when he was a kid??? *:-)

Bet it was that they had PVC when Michael was a kid, not when grandpa
was a kid.

Jud -nitpicker-
Old April 28th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Jud" wrote in message
On Apr 28, 2:22 am, Gosh Darn saywhatu@may wrote:

Why? For the simple reason that my grandfather gave me
this coin when I was a kid. I was dumb enough to keep it in its
original
packaging. .

Because your grandfather gave them the coin?

They had PVC when he was a kid??? :-)

Bet it was that they had PVC when Michael was a kid, not when grandpa was
a kid.

Coins? You had coins when you were a kid?

We had big round stones with a hole drilled in the middle. You'd give
yourself a hernia just going to the candy store. Collecting was no fun.
They all had the Y mintmark and if you had one piece, you had the entire
typeset. Ordering proofs took a year to ship from the Yap Islands.

Then they tried strings of sea shells. Everybody hated them. Yeah, they
were more convenient, but everybody said "They just don't look or feel like
real money. And anybody can make them." Which was true. Families would
finance their entire beach vacation by spending their last day
counterfeiting a few dozen strings.

I don't even want to talk about the hogsheads of tobacco leaves that came
next. Not after my pa caught me and my 11 brothers out behind the barn
making that month's mortgage payment go up in smoke.