A thought

Old November 30th 04, 01:30 AM
John Carney

Default A thought

Since the 2004 Proof sets have sold out unusually early and are fetching
more than the 2004 Silver Proof sets, (I wonder if it's the nickels? ;o) )
and the Westward Journey Nickel Series sets have sold out, (hmmmm, I bet it
IS the nickels!) how long will it take before folks realize that the mint is
still selling 2004 SILVER proof sets at issue price? (Yes, this set ALSO has
the nickels) It may be prudent to buy a set or two now.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/rccers.html

Old November 30th 04, 03:13 AM
John Carney

"John L" wrote

Isn't it deceptive to say that a set is sold out when it's currently
NOT sold out at the mint? It might be sold out tomorrow or some time
in the future, but at the time I just checked the mint's web site and
the time I viewed the auction, it's still available from the mint.
Seems like someone's preying on the uninformed. And I'm sure other
sellers do the same thing.

John L.

Sure is deceptive. It also makes you wonder why a bidder would pay over $40
plus $6 for something that could be had from the Mint for $37.95 plus $4.95
shipping.

What's even crazier is this auction for the silver quarters only. It's
currently selling for OVER the Mint's price for a full silver proof set.

Old November 30th 04, 03:14 AM
John Carney

"John Carney" wrote

I guess a link would help.

&rd=1

Old November 30th 04, 04:41 AM
Glitter Ninja

"John Carney" writes:

Since the 2004 Proof sets have sold out unusually early

I dunno, but I was torqued when my first check to the US Mint for an
uncirculated set was lost, so I sent a replacement on November 1st. Then
I was told that the uncirculateds sold out on November 2nd. Augh. I
usually get the impression that they can't give away the uncirculateds at
the end of the year, and this time they ran out?
I'm also surprised at the proofs running out already. People going for
more investment-grade gifts this year, maybe?

Stacia

Old November 30th 04, 05:35 AM
Asdpoi

How many sets of 2004 silver quarters will be in the marketplace, after
totaling up the silver quarter sets and the regular silver proof sets? It
appears that the mintage will be much larger than in any of the previous years.
Old November 30th 04, 03:42 PM
J. A. M.

John Carney wrote:

Since the 2004 Proof sets have sold out unusually early and are fetching
more than the 2004 Silver Proof sets, (I wonder if it's the nickels? ;o) )
and the Westward Journey Nickel Series sets have sold out, (hmmmm, I bet it
IS the nickels!) how long will it take before folks realize that the mint is
still selling 2004 SILVER proof sets at issue price? (Yes, this set ALSO has
the nickels) It may be prudent to buy a set or two now.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/rccers.html

I'm a couple of steps ahead of you on that. I placed an order for more of them saturday.

JAM
Old November 30th 04, 03:44 PM
J. A. M.

John L wrote:

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:30:05 GMT, "John Carney"
wrote:

Since the 2004 Proof sets have sold out unusually early and are fetching
more than the 2004 Silver Proof sets, (I wonder if it's the nickels? ;o) )
and the Westward Journey Nickel Series sets have sold out, (hmmmm, I bet it
IS the nickels!) how long will it take before folks realize that the mint is
still selling 2004 SILVER proof sets at issue price? (Yes, this set ALSO has
the nickels) It may be prudent to buy a set or two now.

I was looking at auctions to see what the sets are going for on eBay
right now and ran across this one for a 2004 silver proof set:

Isn't it deceptive to say that a set is sold out when it's currently
NOT sold out at the mint? It might be sold out tomorrow or some time
in the future, but at the time I just checked the mint's web site and
the time I viewed the auction, it's still available from the mint.
Seems like someone's preying on the uninformed. And I'm sure other
sellers do the same thing.

John L.

The only money the seller made on that was in the shipping cost. $6 + insurance, looks like he made about $3 on that sale.

JAM
Old November 30th 04, 05:31 PM
Coin Saver

From: "John Carney"

the 2004 Proof sets have sold out unusually early and are fetching more than

the 2004 Silver Proof sets

I still need to get one of those, as well as some Unc sets.

Got any for sale? How much? ;-)

8-|
- Coin Saver

Old November 30th 04, 07:46 PM
Edward McGrath

Tim wrote: Got any for sale? How much? :-) snip Tim, I got a bargain
for you. Oaks & Schwartz paper money price book lists the NY federal
reserve $1 note, series 2003 in CU condition at a value of $100.00, I'm
willing to sell you this CU note for just $75.00.. Ed

Old December 1st 04, 12:35 AM
John Carney

From: "John Carney"

the 2004 Proof sets have sold out unusually early and are fetching more

than
the 2004 Silver Proof sets

I still need to get one of those, as well as some Unc sets.

Got any for sale? How much? ;-)

8-|
- Coin Saver

Tim, if I had any extra clad proof sets, I'd let you have it for cost. Last
week I ordered 2 Silver sets and 1 clad set. They arrived today. Yesterday I
ordered 5 extra silver sets. Knowing my luck, the regular sets will be
selling for $200 within a week and you won't be able to give the silver sets
away.