That o/t 58-D lincoln .....

Old March 15th 04, 10:10 PM
J. Craton

Default That o/t 58-D lincoln .....

Remember the coin that sold for $92 he

I got a call from the seller today. A very nice man who didn't like
something about the coin. If you look at the image in the auction there
is a light scratch above the 9 in the date. Look directly above the 9
and you can see the scratch. It veers off to the right of the coin from
there.
As I said before the guy is a nice guy. We chatted a bit then got down
to business. He asked if he could either return the coin or get some
kind of adjustment on it. I told him that I'd do either one and would
leave it up to him. We were both uncomfortable about the situation so I
thought about what I had into the coin ($5 dollars) and I thought about
the price that I thought the coin would go for ($50 to $150 .. yes I
know that is a huge spread but I don't claim to be a master at
predicting what someone is going to pay). Thinking about this while
chatting and while looking at the ebay image all at the same time I just
decided to accept the low end price of what I thought the coin should go
for. I agreed to credit the guy $42 dollars for the coin. I really liked
that coin but I decided to sell it so that is what I did. Did I get
duped? I don't think so. Did I offer too much for the adjustment? Maybe.
I feel that $50 dollars for that coin is a steal. I did though state in
my auction that the coin was problem free. The scratch wasn't a problem
to me but it obviously was to him. Oh well, the final outcome is still
in line with what I expected. I made a decent profit and the guy has a
coin and feels good about the price he paid.
I sit here and wonder what any of you might have done. I could have
offered a full refund and offered the coin to the second highest bidder
but didn't want to go through any of the hassles. I'm happy-ish and the
buyer is happy so what else could you ask for?

Old March 15th 04, 10:15 PM
J. Craton

Subject should have read "That O/C" ..... not o/t

--
Jason Craton ---- CONECA N-3407 --- WINS #5
---------------------------

Nick is a DICK!
Reid is a troglodyte!

Old March 15th 04, 10:18 PM
K6AZ

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:10:10 -0800, "J. Craton" wrote:

I sit here and wonder what any of you might have done. I could have
offered a full refund and offered the coin to the second highest bidder
but didn't want to go through any of the hassles. I'm happy-ish and the
buyer is happy so what else could you ask for?

Jason, there are buyers who make a habit of doing this. For me, it would
be all or nothing. I would have told him to return it, refunded his money
in full, and relisted the coin.

Another one added to my BBL.
--
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm
Old March 15th 04, 11:25 PM
Roscoe

"J. Craton" wrote:

I made a decent profit and the guy has a
coin and feels good about the price he paid.
I sit here and wonder what any of you might have done. I could have
offered a full refund and offered the coin to the second highest bidder
but didn't want to go through any of the hassles. I'm happy-ish and the
buyer is happy so what else could you ask for?

Jason, I would like to ask you one question. Are you going to be
able to go to bed tonight and get a good nights sleep? As long as
you can, what else matters? I like to be able to sleep at
night..... You know what I mean.
Roscoe
Old March 16th 04, 02:43 AM
Bill Krummel

"J. Craton" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm. Your buyer has a couple of negs that are interesting. I also notice
that he bid again while already top bidder with his $92, so no telling how
much he was prepared to bid to win the coin. Two other bidders had bid more
than $50, so I would definitely say you adjusted to a bargain price.

If the scratch shows much worse in real life than the image, then perhaps
you were ok to adjust the price and put the coin behind you. If the scratch
was actually as insignificant as it seems in the image, I think you should
have refunded the money, less shipping charges, once the coin was returned,
but not made a price adjustment.

Bill

Old March 16th 04, 03:34 AM
John Carney

"J. Craton" wrote in message
[...]

Jason, I would have nicely told him to return the coin and would have reimbursed him for
shipping. I then would have re-listed it and described the scratch. The scratch is
extremely minor and I don't believe affects the value of an error like that. But if you're
happy with the outcome, that's really all that matters.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/rccers.html

Old March 16th 04, 03:42 AM
J. Craton

John Carney wrote:

"J. Craton" wrote in message

[...]

The more I sit here and stew, the more un-happy that I become. Oh well,
it's done and over with. I'm sending a check out tomorrow and washing my
hands of it. I talked with my wife about it earlier and she called me a
"dummy"! ....
Don't ever do business with my wife!

Old March 16th 04, 05:01 AM
George D

J. Craton wrote:
[...]

I did not talk to him on the phone so I don't have a feel for him. However as a general
rule I would have had him return the coin and resold it.

I have a problem with people who find fault with things just to get a discount. I have
rerun printing jobs in the past instead of discounting. I also have given the discount
where the customer had a proven track record.

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Old March 16th 04, 05:34 PM
WinWinscenario

From: K6AZ nospam@nospam

For me, it would
be all or nothing. I would have told him to return it, refunded his money
in full, and relisted the coin.

I agree 100% that this is the right way to handle it. The guy may have been
acting in good faith, but as a general rule it is unwise IMO to encourage this
type of "haggling" or "chiseling."

Regards,
Tom
Old March 16th 04, 06:09 PM
Edward McGrath

I never heard of looking for perfection on an error coin before. Ed