Rare Cream cart?

Old July 18th 06, 10:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
lennon fan

Default Dunhill, Part Deux (or Don't)

the 60's era dunhill pressings sound like crap..maybe sand was added to
the vinyl compound
however, there are GREAT sounding Dunhill pressings from 1972, of all
years, I've hunted down the 3 dog night pressings from this run (I think
Columbia pressed these) and they sound uniformly great! ...better than
any other format I've heard.
I don't know what Mamas and Papas were pressed in this period, but that
band suffers from more than band pressings....

Old July 19th 06, 02:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 18 Jul 2006 14:28:27 -0700, wrote:

According to John Phillips' book "Papa John", Dunhill (yep, here we go
again with another Dunhill rant) took their US cutouts and sold them in
different countries at full retail price. snip

Dunhill was notorious for this, but the absolute worst of 'em all for
cutout retailing was MGM...hands down.

Remember that artists make
absolutley no money at all on cutouts. Yeah. Another round of
lawsuits for Dunhill. He said that MCA made amends when they bought
out Dunhill in the late 1970s. Usually you hear about **** like this
coming from major labels, not independant labels! snip

By the time this started happening, Dunhill was being puppeteered by
the assholes at ABC...so, no surprise there!

As an aside, it seems to me that 75% of the Dunhill LPs I have sound
bad, like they have worn too easily. And, I have a copy of Mama Cass
Elliot's "Mama's Big Ones", and one side of the LP isn't properly
centered! The first time I've seen something like this! snip

Actually, not uncommon at all. Poorly mounted, off center stampers
were de riguer for a lot of the rock labels after around 1970 that
used "cheap 'n dirty" pressing plants, although I have seen a couple
sneak through from Capitol's plants back in the "good" days. Absolute
worst pressings by any label, however, had to have been from MGM's
early years. Later, they got somewhat more acceptable, but still down
near the bottom of the barrel.
Old July 19th 06, 02:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
duty-honor-country

wrote:
"Cutout" mark, applied to product that was written off by the labels
and thus would be sold at a big discount by the jobbers and retailers.
8 tracks either had a hole or a melt mark with a soldering iron; LPs
had either a hole punched in the corner of the jacket, or one edge
would be cut in some manner. Cutout cassettes usually had a small
hole drilled in them. These would show up in the "bargain bins" of
most major record retailers.

According to John Phillips' book "Papa John", Dunhill (yep, here we go
again with another Dunhill rant) took their US cutouts and sold them in
different countries at full retail price. Remember that artists make
absolutley no money at all on cutouts. Yeah. Another round of
lawsuits for Dunhill. He said that MCA made amends when they bought
out Dunhill in the late 1970s. Usually you hear about **** like this
coming from major labels, not independant labels!

As an aside, it seems to me that 75% of the Dunhill LPs I have sound
bad, like they have worn too easily. And, I have a copy of Mama Cass
Elliot's "Mama's Big Ones", and one side of the LP isn't properly
centered! The first time I've seen something like this!

I'd have to disagree- if memory serves, early Steppenwolf LP's are on
Dunhill- both there 8's and vinyl sound excellent

you need a tube amp to bring out the detail- otherwise, you're ****in'
in the wind

Old July 19th 06, 07:35 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 18 Jul 2006 18:59:07 -0700, "duty-honor-country"
wrote:

I'd have to disagree- if memory serves, early Steppenwolf LP's are on
Dunhill- both there 8's and vinyl sound excellent snip

How the hell would you know, Noodles? Listening to your pizza chit
"console" tube electronics with doorbell transformers for outputs and
cheesy ceramic cartridges...you wouldn't know good from bad, nor a 78
from an LP! You're a prodigeous bull**** artist...nothing more.

you need a tube amp to bring out the detail- otherwise, you're ****in'
in the wind snip

ROFLMAO! What an innane statement from a brain fried with toxins and
bad genes.

Better rehearse with that monkey, Noodles...the tax man cometh! Next,
the SSI man cometh as well!