CAC........the definitive answer

Old March 11th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

Default CAC........the definitive answer

This quote from CAC's own website. It makes sense that the sticker
would denote PQ from CAC's own guidlines. If only average quality for
the grade, why would the CAC dealers buy them sight-unseen?

"WHAT SEPARATES THE GRADE FROM PREMIUM QUALITY
In every field, there are a select few that represent the best of the
best. Coins are no exception. Now there's an easy way to identify
premium quality coins within any particular grade. Just look for the
CAC verification sticker.
Third-party grading services have revolutionized our industry by
evaluating the condition of coins. Evaluations, however, can be
subjective and over time, coins of varying quality have received the
same grade. That's why leading members of the numismatic community
formed CAC - to identify and formalize the existence of premium
quality coins.

We only consider previously graded coins, submitted by CAC Submission
Centers, and will only award our sticker to those coins that meet our
standards for premium quality.

For information on becoming a CAC Submission Center, e-mail
."

Disclaimer:

I have never submitted a coin to CAC nor am I an investor in CAC.
Yet, I see its value. If a coin is indeed PQ by my standards, I will
pay a premium price for it. Why not? It's worth it. If there happens
to be a CAC sticker on the slab, I am paying a premium price for the
COIN, not the sticker.

Ira
Old March 11th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Ira" wrote in message
This quote from CAC's own website. It makes sense that the sticker
would denote PQ from CAC's own guidlines. If only average quality for
the grade, why would the CAC dealers buy them sight-unseen?

"WHAT SEPARATES THE GRADE FROM PREMIUM QUALITY
In every field, there are a select few that represent the best of the
best. Coins are no exception. Now there's an easy way to identify
premium quality coins within any particular grade. Just look for the
CAC verification sticker.
Third-party grading services have revolutionized our industry by
evaluating the condition of coins. Evaluations, however, can be
subjective and over time, coins of varying quality have received the
same grade. That's why leading members of the numismatic community
formed CAC - to identify and formalize the existence of premium
quality coins.

The problem remains, as I see it, that each service claims to grade
according to its own standards-- not to any universally accepted standard.
So if one learns to grade according to "Official ANA standards", this can be
essentially meaningless when compared to the specific numerical grades
assigned by most TPG's.

These CAC stickers muddy the waters even further, considering that PCGS's
grading criteria for an MS66 may not be the same as NGC's, or ANAC's, etc.
Does CAC have its own grading criteria against which all TPG's are judged?

Old March 11th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

On Mar 11, 1:18*pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"Ira" wrote in message

[...]

Bruce,

They have grading criteria only for NGC and PCGS holdered coins . They
won't sticker any other brand.

Eye appeal, I'm told, is a major component of the grade. After all,
if the CAC dealers will buy what they want sight unseen, they want a
coin that they can readily sell to a prospective customer.

Ira
Old March 11th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:50:12 -0700 (PDT), Ira wrote:

We only consider previously graded coins, submitted by CAC Submission
Centers, and will only award our sticker to those coins that meet our
standards for premium quality.

I posed the same question to caccoins directly and received the
following response:

"Yes- we have always placed green stickers on coins that are of A and B
quality. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to
call."

So whatever standards they are actually using, the CAC is sending out
decidedly mixed signals.

--
Michael Benveniste --
Old March 11th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jan Zachary[_2_]

I see this soley as a way for some company to find a niche and start a
business.
As Ira said, if he thinks its PQ then that should be the individuals
opinion.
This is just someone starting a new grading system and exploiting an ms66
into a ms66.542.

Hey, are they entitled to do it? Certainly. there is no law that says their
opionion is any different than mine. But I will repeat what I've read. I
only buy coins that look good to me. I don't care what is said about them or
what is written on the slab or 2x2.

Jan

Old March 11th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

"Jan Zachary" wrote in
I only buy coins that look good to me. I don't care what is said about
them or what is written on the slab or 2x2.

Jan

Yep, buy the coin, not the plastic. I couldn't give a rats arse what
plastic says, only the coin matters. The coin I bought from Ira a couple of
years ago I bought because I liked it, in fact I cannot even remember what
holder it is in, or what the grade is.

Old March 11th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Jan Zachary" wrote in message
I see this soley as a way for some company to find a niche and start a
business.
As Ira said, if he thinks its PQ then that should be the individuals
opinion.
This is just someone starting a new grading system and exploiting an ms66
into a ms66.542.

Hey, are they entitled to do it? Certainly. there is no law that says
their opionion is any different than mine. But I will repeat what I've
read. I only buy coins that look good to me. I don't care what is said
about them or what is written on the slab or 2x2.

Jan, I think you have summarized what most of us here have been thinking and
saying for a long time. The problem that I see is that in these recent
years, virtually all the early U.S. coins that are desirable at all,
particularly silver pieces, now reside in plastic holders that have things
said about them and have things written on them that are not true. They may
in fact "look good" to you and to me, but they are overgraded, plain and
simple, and that makes them overpriced, and they will likely remain that way
forever. You and I can have whatever opinions we want, but if we hold to
them, we won't be buying many coins.

James

Old March 11th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Mar 11, 11:50*am, Ira wrote:
[...]

Problem is when another party comes along to rate CAC stickers.
Where does it end?
Old March 11th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"RF" wrote in message
On Mar 11, 11:50 am, Ira wrote:
[...]

------------------------------------

Have no fear, RF. *I* will rate them. 8)

James

Old March 11th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

RF wrote:

Problem is when another party comes along to rate CAC stickers.
Where does it end?

EAC grading is MUCH more stringent than any TPG, and thankfully so.
Perhaps having 'special interest' groups create standards for their
specialty coins, and try to coerce the major TPG to comply with their
standards. Oh, sorry, I fell asleep and was dreaming.