Stamp collecting: is a bad image better than none?

Old February 1st 04, 09:51 PM
Bob Watson

Default Stamp collecting: is a bad image better than none?

Tore myself away from soaking another load of stamps for a snack and a
quick look at the paper when a paragraph caught my eye:

"She* suggests that the bulk of today's excessive viewers of Internet
pornography are likely overweight young men who avoid sports and who, 10
or 15 years back, would have been obsessive stamp collectors."

* The "She" is Marian Valverde, a University of Toronto criminologist
specializing in pornography and compulsive behaviour.
The quote is from the Canadian "Globe & Mail", 31 Jan, page F7.

Hey folks, this is serious stuff. I am now only allowed to use the
Internet under close supervision and I am under notice to prove I am not
an "obsessive collector" - which could be just a little bit tricky.

My only hope now is for someone somewhere to link coin collectors with
terrorists and, maybe, sports fans with scam artists or something. That
should take the heat off stamp collecting computer users so that I can
get on with sorting jumbles of coloured slips of paper into neatly
ordered rows and columns.

All the best,
Bob Watson

Old February 2nd 04, 12:31 AM
Mette

Bob Watson wrote in message
[...]

Bob, what a "charming" (!) and unknowing lady!!
10 or 15 years ago these likely overweight young men would
have been computer game nerds!!!
May I suggest that you respond with a "letter to the editor*
in your usual humourous way, eventually sending images of
Ada and me to neutralize *her* assumptions ;-)

Hi Ada, please accept my suggestion ;-)

All the best
Mette

Old February 2nd 04, 01:38 PM
Dave

Quite likely this professor is just another one of the intellectuals
who inhabit univeristies, teaching about subjects that they have marginally
at best experienced in life. I wonder how many of these compulsive
perveyors of porn she actually interviewed. Probably an insignificant
number that confirmed her so-called hypothesis. Likewise she may interview
and count only those that conform to her hypothesis, disregarding any that
don't (not unheard of in academia). She is grasping at straws.
I failed part of a college course on modern U.S. history by a paper I
submitted concerning the Viet Nam war. The "professor" would not accept my
reference and labeled the entire essay as , in his esteemed estimate, as
"fantasy". I took the essay to the Dean who, being spineless, supported his
professor. My reference was personal recollections. Somehow my
recollections were not valid despite that I was actually in the Viet Nam war
and wrote about my own personal experiences!
Marian Valverde is no doubt being lauded by her colleagues for her keen
insight into the perversive nature of philately since young minds no doubt
were twisted by the first view of a Spanish Goya "Naked Maja" stamps which
causes an inevitable spiral to degeneracy. I have no faith in many of those
that have been appointed to teach.
Dave (silly people have silly ideas)

Old February 2nd 04, 02:00 PM
Dave

The "esteemed" Mariana Valverde is unlikely to ever to looked at by any
excessive viewers of Internet pornography. No wonder she is s girl who
likes girls. View her esteemed visage at:
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/la.../article2.html

Her theory is as unattractive as she is.

Dave (can't look at her anymore! AAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!)

Old February 2nd 04, 03:54 PM
malcolm hirst

Perhaps someone would like to send the lady in question a selection of
some of the more erudite and cerebral discussions which have graced
this newsgroup. She probably wouldn't recognise some of the concepts
aired here.
For the record I don't view pornography - Ispens a fair amount of time
trying to get rid of the stuff other people insist on putting on my
computer from outside!!
Regards,intellectually
Malcolm

Old February 2nd 04, 04:04 PM
Mette

malcolm hirst wrote in message
om...
Perhaps someone would like to send the lady in question a selection of
some of the more erudite and cerebral discussions which have graced
this newsgroup. She probably wouldn't recognise some of the concepts
aired here.

Why bother!? She seems to be very firm in her perception,
although she obviously doesn't have the faintest clue about
stamp collecting.

For the record I don't view pornography - Ispens a fair amount of time
trying to get rid of the stuff other people insist on putting on my
computer from outside!!

I have also received my share of "fair offers" to a point that
the infected accounts have been closed down.

Intellectually as well
Mette

Old February 2nd 04, 04:21 PM
TC

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 13:38:45 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

[...]
"Bob Watson" wrote in message

By the way, this is the same professor who back in 1998
lectured at the Univ. of Melbourne on :
'The harms of sex and the risks of breasts'

Blair

Old February 2nd 04, 04:27 PM
TC

"Bob Watson" wrote in message
[...]

You are confusing TWO persons.
Mariana Valverde is NOT Marian Valverde.

Mariana Valverde is at Univ, of Manitoba.

Marian Valverde is at Univ. of Toronto and
was also editor of "The Healthsharing Book:
Resources for Canadian Women." Women's Press, l985.

Blair

Old February 2nd 04, 05:30 PM
Grandpa

Dave wrote:

The "esteemed" Mariana Valverde is unlikely to ever to looked at by any
excessive viewers of Internet pornography. No wonder she is s girl who
likes girls. View her esteemed visage at:
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/la.../article2.html

Her theory is as unattractive as she is.

Ohhhhmuhgod! Thats a face only a mother could love. An ugly woman
who's never had a date and blames men for itVBG.

A cheer for her!

U!
G!
L!
Y!
You ain't got no alibi!
Yo UGLY!

Old February 2nd 04, 05:34 PM
Grandpa

Inhabit or infest? Funny you mention that. For some unknown reason
Universities tend to attract this type of individual. I certainly saw
more than my share many years ago. Thank god there are still a few
persons of reason on staff at most, although the trend is getting less
and less as time passes.