The end of the Golden Dollar?

Old December 6th 03, 03:59 AM
Mike

Default The end of the Golden Dollar?

I heard a rumor that the Sac. dollars would be discontinued after this
year, that they will not mint any more. Is this true? Does anyone
know what the Mint has said, if anything? Thanks.
Mike.
Old December 6th 03, 04:48 AM
Bob Peterson

if there is a need for them in commerce they will make as many as there is a
need for, plus probably some for collectors, regardless of the need in
commerce.

the short answer is some will be made in any case, but its quite possible
none will be made for circulation, as there is very little need for them.

om...

Old December 6th 03, 02:48 PM
ELurio

Now that the mint has decided to sell rolls to the public and made a tidy
profit on them, then you'll have small mintages of GDs and JFK halves from here
on out.

eric l.
Old December 6th 03, 02:59 PM
Mike

If anyone want dollar coins, all you have to do is go to the local post
office and put 5, 10, or 20 dollars (currency) into the stamp machine, and
they will give you a whole pocketful of nice new dollars. (At least where I
live) I like to stop in once a month and get 20 dollars worth, minus stamp
price of course, and circulate them.
WHEN, will the manufacturers of vending machines figure out that it is so
much easier to use dollar coins than it is to fool around trying to feed a
crumpled one dollar bill into a vending machine!

Old December 6th 03, 03:20 PM
Bob Peterson

"Mike" wrote in message
If anyone want dollar coins, all you have to do is go to the local post
office and put 5, 10, or 20 dollars (currency) into the stamp machine, and
they will give you a whole pocketful of nice new dollars. (At least where

live) I like to stop in once a month and get 20 dollars worth, minus

stamp
price of course, and circulate them.
WHEN, will the manufacturers of vending machines figure out that it is so
much easier to use dollar coins than it is to fool around trying to feed a
crumpled one dollar bill into a vending machine!

I think they have figured it out, but since few people have dollar coins in
their pockets to feed the machines, they will be using crumbled up dollar
bills for the foreseeable future.

My guess is the next big shift in vending machines will be away from cash
altogether. Some kind of smart card. You pay in advance and the machine
deducts your purchases from your balance, much like gift cards work now.

Old December 6th 03, 03:32 PM
RR

That appears to be the case. The local car wash's quarter dispenser is now
accepting credit/debit cards and throws out $.25 coins in return.

Randy

Old December 6th 03, 04:49 PM
Edwin Johnston

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
I heard a rumor that the Sac. dollars would be discontinued after this
year, that they will not mint any more. Is this true? Does anyone
know what the Mint has said, if anything? Thanks.
Mike.

"Rumors of my early demise have been greatly exaggerated."
-- Sacagewea

"I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
-- W.C. Fields

Old December 6th 03, 07:39 PM
cstancarone

"Mike" wrote in message
If anyone want dollar coins, all you have to do is go to the local post
office and put 5, 10, or 20 dollars (currency) into the stamp machine, and
they will give you a whole pocketful of nice new dollars. (At least where

live) I like to stop in once a month and get 20 dollars worth, minus

stamp
price of course, and circulate them.
WHEN, will the manufacturers of vending machines figure out that it is so
much easier to use dollar coins than it is to fool around trying to feed a
crumpled one dollar bill into a vending machine!

When I go to the public Laundromat; the washing machines cost $1.75 each and
I use three. The dryers cost $1.00 each and I use two. That's a bunch of
quarters. I sure wish that they would switch to dollar coin slots. Maybe we
need a law mandating that. Sort of like the law mandating digital
televisions by a specific date.

Charlie

Old December 6th 03, 07:54 PM
Coin Saver

From: "Edwin Johnston"

"Rumors of my early demise have been greatly exaggerated."

-- Sacagewea
That was Mark Twain, upon learning that his obituary had been published.

"I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

-- W.C. Fields
Actually, the quote was: "On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia." ... it
was what he had requested to be inscribed upon his tombstone. No, not the
pizza. After his death, his relatives did not honor this request, opting for
the simple epitaph: "William Claude Fields 1880 - 1946"

Some famous (infamous) last words & such:

"Nonsense, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." —Gen. John
Sedgwick, Battle of Spotsylvania, May, 1864

"Go on, get out. Last words are for fools who haven't said enough." — Karl
Marx

"Either that wallpaper goes, or I do." — Oscar Wilde

This always ends badly. Why do I keep doing this ?" — Brad Osberg.

"I am just going outside (of the tent) and may be some time." — Capt.
Lawrence Oates, British soldier.

"I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis." — Humphrey Bogart

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something..." — Pancho Villa

"Go away... I'm alright." — H. G. Wells

"Oh, ****!" — Jim Madsen

"There is a big difference between just being miserable and dying." — W.
E. Whitaker.

"Drink to me." — Pablo Picasso

"Don't worry it's not loaded." — Terry Kath

I realize life is worth living... Just not my life." — Lili Von Schtupp.

"That was the best ice-cream soda I ever tasted." — Lou Costello

"I'd hate to die twice." — Richard Feynman

"I intend to live forever — so far, so good" — Stephen Wright.

"I'm going to live forever, or die trying !" — Spider Robinson

"I had you all going, didn't I?" — Lt. Col. Kenneth Wilson

"Hey guys, watch this !" — Todd Poller

"It is better to die on your feet that to live on your knees." — Dolores
Ibarruri

"Oh no, oh no... don't lift me, don't lift me." — Robert F. Kennedy.

"They really are bad shots." — Charles De Gaulle

"That's All Folks !" — Epitaph of Mel Blanc

8-D
Coin Saver
Old December 6th 03, 09:32 PM
Steve Grant

"Coin Saver" wrote in message

Some famous (infamous) last words & such:
[snip]

"Where the ~!@#$%^&* did all these Indians come from??" -- Gen. Custer