Help

Old January 20th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Xavier

Default Help

Hi,
I want to get started in collecting stamps, but I don't have a clue of
how to start. I have recieved several stamp catologs. But I don't
know what to do, or how to get started.

Could somebody share a clue.

thanks

Old January 20th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Marek Zyskowski

There is an infinit way to collect stamps. Most people collect certain
countries or they collect stamps from any country but of a certain topic.

For example if you like dogs you can collect dog stamps.

In my case someone showed me a First Day Cover (Envelope with a canceled
stamp affixed) and I collect those.

There is no right way to collect stamps you should see what your local post
office has to offer. I encourage you to go to a local stamp exposition if
there are some in your town. Stamp expos may seem unfriendly at first. All
the ones I've been to the dealers are a little hard to look at. But what can
you do... It is not a Harley Davidson show. Appearances aside most dealers
have lots of time for you to look at their stuff and don't mind questions.

Hope this helps.

--
Marek Zyskowski

Old January 20th 07, 09:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

G'day Xavier,
most younger people start out with a handful of stamps,
and they need to place them somewhere.
They purchase a cheap "stamp album" and place them
where required on the headed pages within with stamp hinges.

As your collection grows, hopefully the hobby will lead you
where you want to go, it's all freelance.
( The Beatles-John Lennon had 542 stamps in his album
when he left the hobby)

Your first port of call, should be your local library, most good
libraries have a decent array of advice books on the hobby.
Get stuck in!

If you care to offer me a suitable address off-list , I would be
happy to send you a couple of hundred Australian stamps with
a pocket catalogue to identify them.

Good luck.
Rod.

ups.com...

Old January 21st 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Xavier wrote :
Hi,
I want to get started in collecting stamps, but I don't have a clue of
how to start. I have recieved several stamp catologs. But I don't
know what to do, or how to get started.

Could somebody share a clue.

thanks

Hi Xavier,

Generally in a stamp collection, some stamps come first.
Then, in order to get more information on these stamps, one have to buy
or to borrow a catalog.

What is the subject of your catalogs : on the stamps of different
countries ?

I concur to all the advice already given here to you : especially trying
to find a stamp club near your home.
In France, those clubs generally meet on Sundays mornings (and their
list can be obtained at your town hall office).

If you read French you will find here the basics of stamp collecting :
http://www.faqphilatelie.lautre.net

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old January 21st 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Xavier

Thank you all, you've been a big help. I appreciate the advice you've
given me. You'll have to excuse me, I am a newby to the group thing.
Are there any books that you would recommed to help me get started.
What are some of you're favorite web sites that you use. Is there any
software that you would recommend, ie:ablity to print pages, use for
listing the ones I have.

Old January 21st 07, 10:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Thank you all, you've been a big help. I appreciate the advice you've
given me. You'll have to excuse me, I am a newby to the group thing.
Are there any books that you would recommed to help me get started.
What are some of you're favorite web sites that you use. Is there any
software that you would recommend, ie:ablity to print pages, use for
listing the ones I have.

G'day Xavier,
seeing that you are located in the US, I reckon the "Information
for collectors" in the front of any US "Scott" stamp catalogue
is a cracker. (see your local library)
You will soon have more stamps than time probably, to list them
all, but for a cheap software option, you can get a "suite" of
software from Microsoft called "MSWorks".
You get a Word processor, Spreadsheet and Database, that
my son easily picked up at 10yo.
Make sure you only get the Version 4.5a, on Ebay around $8US.
Hope this helps (HTH)

Old January 22nd 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Some suggestions:
A Google search on "stamp collecting" is a starting point.
You'll find information on stamp software at www.pcsg.org.
And www.virtualstampclub.com is a good spot to visit.
Pick up a copy of Linn's Stamp News at a local stamp dealer.

Bill Sharpe