Question and Parts Needed - AMI D series

Old April 24th 04, 12:15 PM
Mike Purcell

Default Question and Parts Needed - AMI D series

This is my very first juke and so far I love the machine! It's a d-40
converted to 45s. It actually works pretty well and best of all it was only
about $500. I polishedup all the aluminum and it looks great! I took all the
metal sides out and am having them chromed.

But I'd like some new and some spare parts. First off all my question, I
have replaced many monitor cap kits before and for $60 bucks there must be
thousands of caps in this kit. Or is it really as I suspect not alot of caps
but expensive ones? Do I really need a cap kit? The juke sounds not too bad,
certainly not the same as my B&O but not bad for something that is 52 yrs
old. So what symptoms will a cap kit fix? Will the sound be clearer, deeper
etc....?

I also would love to have;

- a spare stylus
- some spare selection buttons as some have cigarrette scars.
- clear selection strip cover
- spare blue 78 to 45 conversion discs
- the 3 animation strips
- and most of all the clean plexi cover which says "music for you by AMI"
This is the only part really that needs a bit of work as its just not
repairable.

I have been able to find only the animation strips so far and would love to
do a one shot deal or at least get most of this stuff from one person.

Old April 25th 04, 06:54 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article ,
"Mike Purcell" wrote:

But I'd like some new and some spare parts. First off all my question, I
have replaced many monitor cap kits before and for $60 bucks there must be
thousands of caps in this kit. Or is it really as I suspect not alot of caps
but expensive ones? Do I really need a cap kit? The juke sounds not too bad,
certainly not the same as my B&O but not bad for something that is 52 yrs
old. So what symptoms will a cap kit fix? Will the sound be clearer, deeper
etc....?

It'll keep you from wasting the output transformer, for starters, and
help get all the operating voltages correct in the amp. I don't use
kits but rather list up and buy my own. The D amp is really nice and
simple, and very easy to work on. Don't exect it to sound like a CD
player, though they're pretty good when done. Get new tubes for it too,
and double checxk all the voltages - with an ANALOG meter, not a DMM.

I also would love to have;

- a spare stylus
- some spare selection buttons as some have cigarrette scars.
- clear selection strip cover
- spare blue 78 to 45 conversion discs
- the 3 animation strips
- and most of all the clean plexi cover which says "music for you by AMI"
This is the only part really that needs a bit of work as its just not
repairable.

Misc AMI D parts can probbably be had at Durfee Coin Op (978) 544 3800.
He had a few Ds floating around there last year when I was there. That
top plastic part is really cool when it's all cleaned up and lit. Trust
me!

The rings can be had at Vistory Glass (www.victoryglass.com ???), as can
a needle, it's the ever popular Astatic 51-whatever series.

Oh yes, the 45 conversion really works great once you set it up right
(order a manual from VG, it's very useful). The needle should set down
on the RECORD, not the record ring! It's tricky to get it just right,
but it works great when it's done.

Oh yes, like all other jukes of the era, check all your wiring carefully
for brittlement. AMIs in particular suffered from this - but it's all
standard zip cord and replaceable (the four conductor rack cable is
still available, from Belden, I think. I HAD the number and a sample
here a while ago. If you beg, they send you a just long enough sample
for free

IMHO, the D is one of the cooler early era AMIs, especially wth that
hokey, but neat top plastic, and all that animation.

The animation sheets? I have yet to see a good set of them from
anywhere
Old April 25th 04, 05:02 PM
Ken Layton

Yes you need to recap that amplifier RIGHT NOW! Those old capacitors ALL need
to be replaced. The "twist prong" can style electrolytics are expensive
nowadays running around $30 to $35 each at Antique Electronic Supply
(www.tubesandmore.com)
Old April 26th 04, 02:33 AM
Jjmscf

Stop playing it right now until you recap it.If it's not humming your can
electrolytics are probably ok for now but those paper coupling capacitors are
leaky and will cause problems that can end up in damaged tubes and even worse
transformers.Vern Tisdale sells cap kits for all tube type jukeboxes and they
are all marked with location.Even comes with individual replacement modern
electrolytics for the cans.You can wire those in too to avoid having to work on
it later.Just be sure to use terminal strips and disconnect the old
electrolytics.You can leave them mounted for appearance.

www.vertisdale.com.

Just spotted this on ebay.You might be able to pick up these record rings
cheap.

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...3723&item=3289
298012&rd=1
Old April 26th 04, 02:56 AM
Jjmscf

Sorry it's www.verntisdale.com
Old April 26th 04, 07:44 PM
John Robertson

Hi Mike, (we meet again!)

Along with the advice to RECAP NOW, I also insist that you REWIRE
NOW!!! the original power wiring inside (and the power cord) are
EXTREMELY BRITTLE AND DANGEROUS!!!

We have some spare parts for this vintage machine and the
manuals...see below.

Happy trails!

John :-#)#

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 08:15:35 -0300, "Mike Purcell"
wrote:

This is my very first juke and so far I love the machine! It's a d-40
converted to 45s. It actually works pretty well and best of all it was only
about $500. I polishedup all the aluminum and it looks great! I took all the
metal sides out and am having them chromed.

But I'd like some new and some spare parts. First off all my question, I
have replaced many monitor cap kits before and for $60 bucks there must be
thousands of caps in this kit. Or is it really as I suspect not alot of caps
but expensive ones? Do I really need a cap kit? The juke sounds not too bad,
certainly not the same as my B&O but not bad for something that is 52 yrs
old. So what symptoms will a cap kit fix? Will the sound be clearer, deeper
etc....?

I also would love to have;

- a spare stylus (YES)
- some spare selection buttons as some have cigarrette scars. (YES)
- clear selection strip cover(MAYBE)
- spare blue 78 to 45 conversion discs (A couple left)
- the 3 animation strips (Make your own)
- and most of all the clean plexi cover which says "music for you by AMI" (nope, sorry!)
This is the only part really that needs a bit of work as its just not
repairable.

I have been able to find only the animation strips so far and would love to
do a one shot deal or at least get most of this stuff from one person.

(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)
www.flippers.com