Suggestions On Basic American Collection?

Old October 31st 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Suggestions On Basic American Collection?

I was just wondering if anyone had any specific ideas for a very
very basic American collection. Like what specific items to look
for, while progressing.

I currently have:

Morgan Dollar

Peace Dollar

Eisenhour Dollar

SBA Dollar

Sacajawea and first three Presibux (thanks, Jud!)

Halves - Walking Liberty, Franklin, and Kennedy

Quarters - Washington, plus one Standing Liberty

Dimes - Mercury, Roosevelt, plus one Barber, and one Seated
Liberty

Nickels - Jefferson, Indian/Buffalo, plus a "V"

Pennies - Memorial-type Lincoln, plus an Indian Head

And I know I should buy a Weat Penny, and the newer Jefferson
Nickel.

But what else would you suggest for a fairly basic American set?

Thanks...

--
Earn Money With Your Web Site
http://www.WebSponsorZone.Net
Old October 31st 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
capri

On Oct 31, 12:36 am, Usenet2...@THE-
DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a fine start. Now pick one that YOU like the most and
build a collection around it

Old October 31st 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Ahnen

You have the great beginning of a US type set. From here you can look at:

2-cent piece
3-cent silver
3-cent nickle
half cent
half dime
large cent

All of the above can be obtained at reasonable conditions and prices in the
more common varieties/dates.

Happy collecting!
John

Old October 31st 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ivan

Sounds like a fine start. Now pick one that YOU like the most and
build a collection around it

What's wrong with type set collection?

Old October 31st 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote in message
[...]

You're only a couple of Barber coins and a wheatie away from a complete
"very basic" 20th century type set. If you want to stay within the 20th
century and expand your type collection, there are many sub-type variations
to consider that include metal variants, mint mark placements, and slight
design modifications. On the other hand, if you eventually hope to collect
examples of all types of US coins, then you've gone way beyond the "very
basic" and into a much more ambitious world.

Bottom line. Collect an assortment of coins that please you. No need to go
beyond your means. Once you satisfy a particular collecting goal, step back
and enjoy your collection. Then if any particular part of your collection
intrigues you, you can devote a new effort in that direction. It never
ends. Well, it does, but I prefer not to dwell on that.

Bruce

Old October 31st 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:36:07 -0800,
wrote:

I was just wondering if anyone had any specific ideas for a very
very basic American collection. Like what specific items to look
for, while progressing.

I currently have:

Morgan Dollar

Peace Dollar

Eisenhour Dollar

SBA Dollar

Sacajawea and first three Presibux (thanks, Jud!)

Halves - Walking Liberty, Franklin, and Kennedy

Quarters - Washington, plus one Standing Liberty

Dimes - Mercury, Roosevelt, plus one Barber, and one Seated
Liberty

Nickels - Jefferson, Indian/Buffalo, plus a "V"

Pennies - Memorial-type Lincoln, plus an Indian Head

And I know I should buy a Weat Penny, and the newer Jefferson
Nickel.

But what else would you suggest for a fairly basic American set?

A rough list going back about 100 years which you can pick from:

Dollars: Presidential, Sacagawea, SBA, Ike regular, Ike Bicentenntial,
Peace, Morgan... NOTE: There were also some 40% silver Bicentennial
sets and the Ike was issued from the Mint in 40% silver from 197 to
1974. I have a set of the silver Ikes and I think they are much nicer
looking than the regular clad Ikes.

Halves: JFK, JFK Bicentennial, JFK 40% silver (1965-1970), JFK 90%
silver (1964), Franklin, Walker, Barber...

Quarters: State Quarters, Washington, Washington Bicentennial,
Washington 90% silver (1964 or before), Standing Liberty, Barber...

Dimes: Roosevelt, Roosevelt 90% silver (1964 or before), Mercury,
Barber...

Nickels: Jefferson, Jefferson Wartime silver, Buffalo, Liberty/V (with
and without CENTS.. the 1883 V nickel without CENTS is actually the
most affordable in higher grades)...

Cents: Lincoln Memorial, Lincoln Wheat, Indian Head, Flying Eagle...

In my type set I have BU and proofs of most of the newer coins, while
with older coins I got the best I could find (any year) for around
$30. I still need a Flying Eagle and I plan to upgrade a couple coins
evetually. And I plan to spend a lot more for a very nice Barber half
sometime. I sure wish BU Barber Halves were as affordable as BU
Morgans.

Not sure if I'll take my set back more generations yet or work on
expanding what I currently have. Some or the early large cents, half
dimes, etc. would be nice to have in a set, but are expensive in
better grades or even just in good condition.

Old October 31st 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

It depends on why you want to collect coins,, not socks, for example,
and your time horizon.