NEWS: Coin Doctors Arrested In Nationwide Sweep

Old April 1st 11, 08:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

Default NEWS: Coin Doctors Arrested In Nationwide Sweep

WOW! Just found this announcement posted in the newsgroup
news.announce.important.law-enforcement ...

COIN DOCTORS ARRESTED IN NATIONWIDE SWEEP

Washington, DC, April 1, 2011 (API)

The Federal Bureau of Investigation announced this morning that a large
number of "coin doctors" have been arrested in a nationwide sweep
conducted earlier this week. Supervising Special Agent Quincy D.
Bauers, answering reporters' questions in the FBI's Washington, DC
auditorium, the David Hall, provided details on the arrests and charges
filed against several of the prime suspects.

"In Los Angeles", Bauers stated, "we arrested Augustus 'Gus' Dubligull,
one of the more notorious of the coin doctors. We have evidence that he
altered numerous Bust type dollars, changing the bust from the standard
34B to as large as a 38DD, although most modifications were to the 36C
range, which is much more difficult to detect with the naked eye. He
was charged with performing plastic surgery without a license and
attempting to deceive a numismatist via mammarization."

"In Houston", Bauers continued, "we arrested Kay 'The Moustache' Grande,
the only known female coin doctor. She mostly altered type 1 Standing
Liberty quarters and was know as 'the queen of the full nipple variety'.
Many of her products are currently residing in third-party slabs with
proclaimed grades as high as MS66FN. She was charged with one hundred
and two counts of aggravated sexual battery and thirty-two counts of
grand areolaization." "Interestingly", Bauers added, "she is quite an
attractive woman with no facial hair, so we have no idea as to how she
acquired her nickname."

"In Boston", Bauers concluded, "we arrested Douglas Vance Broughton, the
mastermind behind the scourge of the fraudulent 1909-S DVB Lincoln cents
that have been appearing on the market over the past several months. He
claims that he is simply adding his initials to the bottom of the
reverses of coins as art. He was charged with four hundred and six
counts of fraudulent engraving and attempting to defraud the dyslexic."

Several dozen other coin doctors were arresting across the country, with
charges ranging from simple vandalism (cutting the bands holding the
bundles of sticks together on the reverses of Mercury dimes) to animal
cruelty (re-engraving teeth on the badger on the obverse of the 1936
Wisconsin commemorative half dollar). Other suspects were not
immediately apprehended, and are expected to be arrested as they arrive
at major coin shows later this year.

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com
Old April 1st 11, 12:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Apr 1, 2:57*am, Ken Barr wrote:
[...]

And a happy April Fool's Day to you too, Ken.

oly
Old April 1st 11, 01:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Apr 1, 7:20*am, oly wrote:
On Apr 1, 2:57*am, Ken Barr wrote:

[...]

And from me, too, Ken. Bravo. The tradition continues.

Jerry
Old April 1st 11, 03:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 4/1/2011 3:57 AM, Ken Barr wrote:
Washington, DC, April 1, 2011 (API)

Alas, this one line gave this away immediately. g

Here's something that's become somewhat of a family tradition on April 1
in our house. Most kitchen sinks these days come with a sprayer. If you
wrap transparent tape (thick packing tape works best) tightly around the
sprayer over the lever you push to use the sprayer then place the
sprayer back into its holder and direct it to the middle front of the
sink, the next person who uses the regular faucet to turn on the water
will get sprayed by the sprayer.

I started this something like six years ago, and I've managed to get
everybody each year. This morning they, again, got me. Even if you know
it's coming, turning the faucet on is a reflexive action, and you don't
check each time even when, on April 1, you know you should. g It's a
perfect practical joke ... unless you're late to work or school ...
because after the initial minor shock and the feeling that they got you
again (an April fool!), the only downside is that you have to change
your shirt or blouse. The best timing is for others to be around when it
happens, so you can first laugh and then hug.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old April 7th 11, 09:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Dworetsky

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
[...]

Or get divorced.

--